Tanaka Ginsan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

gregsa

Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone know if the 240 Tanaka Ginsan is supposed to have a noticeable curve along the spine ?
My 210mm is relatively straight.
Cheers
Greg

LucasFur

Reaction score
I know exactly what your talking about (sarcasm)
Knives change batch to batch, depending on apprenticeship /how the maker feels / who he’s making for. Pictures online can also be inaccurate, especially when professionally done or on retailers sites.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
I have a couple different Tanaka gyutos. The spine is often not perfectly straight. On one the cladding is heavier on one side by the handle. On another, there is a slight twist to the entire blade (very slight) With a clad knife (more so, iron) there is some give and take, and you may be able to torque it a bit more straight by hand. I would say, if you don't notice it in use, or just by looking at it without close inspection, just accept it.

Last edited:

dafox

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One if the Tanaka ginsans that i had a couple if years ago had a noticeably bent spine, it was able to straighten it by hand, I was surprised at how easy it was to bend.

gregsa

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's, After emailing James @ KNS its clear this batch of Tanaka Ginsans have a slight inward curve. James even took a photo of another knife to show me, More then happy with the knife. Great at work just like the 210mm I have.
Cheers
Greg