Tanaka Ginsan

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by gregsa, Sep 13, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Sep 13, 2019 #1

gregsa

gregsa

gregsa

Supporting Member

Hi
    Does anyone know if the 240 Tanaka Ginsan is supposed to have a noticeable curve along the spine ?
    My 210mm is relatively straight.
    Cheers
    Greg

2. Sep 14, 2019 #2

LucasFur

LucasFur

LucasFur

I know exactly what your talking about (sarcasm)
    Knives change batch to batch, depending on apprenticeship /how the maker feels / who he’s making for. Pictures online can also be inaccurate, especially when professionally done or on retailers sites.

3. Sep 20, 2019 #3

NO ChoP!

NO ChoP!

NO ChoP!

Old Head

I have a couple different Tanaka gyutos. The spine is often not perfectly straight. On one the cladding is heavier on one side by the handle. On another, there is a slight twist to the entire blade (very slight) With a clad knife (more so, iron) there is some give and take, and you may be able to torque it a bit more straight by hand. I would say, if you don't notice it in use, or just by looking at it without close inspection, just accept it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  4. Sep 20, 2019 #4

dafox

dafox

dafox

One if the Tanaka ginsans that i had a couple if years ago had a noticeably bent spine, it was able to straighten it by hand, I was surprised at how easy it was to bend.

5. Sep 21, 2019 #5

gregsa

gregsa

gregsa

Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply's, After emailing James @ KNS its clear this batch of Tanaka Ginsans have a slight inward curve. James even took a photo of another knife to show me, More then happy with the knife. Great at work just like the 210mm I have.
    Cheers
    Greg

Draft saved Draft deleted