Tanaka nashiji stainless clad Blue 2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Despite my what I thought was careful packing the tip broke off more than James thought was repairable. He is still having his guy work on it. In the meantime he said he'd get a new one out but I don't want him to be out for my screwup so I've purchased one new and have asked him to send it to Ivan.

Nope. Despite my what I thought was careful packing the tip broke off more than James thought was repairable. He is still having his guy work on it. In the meantime he said he'd get a new one out but I don't want him to be out for my screwup so I've purchased one new and have asked him to send it to Ivan.

Wow, that was nice of you. Ivan got it, played with it, and now wants to send it to me, but I can't send either Ivan or Chinacats a PM because both of their inboxes are too full. So, until one or both of them "clean up their acts", I can't send them my address.

Wow, that was nice of you. Ivan got it, played with it, and now wants to send it to me, but I can't send either Ivan or Chinacats a PM because both of their inboxes are too full. So, until one or both of them "clean up their acts", I can't send them my address.

Not really. James wouldn't let me pay for the knife :curse:. He refunded my payment and told me he considered it marketing cost. I've been meaning to post that here but until just a few days ago work has been absolutely kicking my ass.

Oops, didn't realize but thanks for letting me know. That said, best to send direct to Ivan or ill just be in the same boat.

Not really. James wouldn't let me pay for the knife :curse:. He refunded my payment and told me he considered it marketing cost. I've been meaning to post that here but until just a few days ago work has been absolutely kicking my ass.

James rocks, what a cool move on his part!

hi guys! inbox cleared. the tanaka is ready to hit the road again, this is agreat knife, I'll be picking one up in the future for sure.

Hey guys, just wanted to know if I was still getting in on this pass around!

Hey guys, just wanted to know if I was still getting in on this pass around!

Not sure if the list got updated... anyone know for sure so still hasn't used the knife? I'm gusting it makes settings for you to get it after DaveinMesa?

So, Steelcrimp has the knife, now.

FWIW, my impressions are that it's a beautifully made knife, good geometry, nice balance between hefty and lazer, cuts beautifully. The food release was disappointing, for me, and I've learned that I don't really care for octagonal handles. I would have preferred a shorter handle, too, but it would have had to be made heavier to maintain the balance, which is excellent.

I received the knife yesterday! I'm not sure if its still the OOTB edge, but there are very tiny ridges along the edge of the knife. I still don't have the confidence another persons knife without scratching the surface, so I'll just leave it as is. Still plenty sharp.

@chinacats, you wouldn't wanna trade this for my zuchi, would ya? ;) Jokes aside, this knife is beautiful. Much more of a looker than what the pictures on the website entails. The nashiji finish and the kanji from hand makes it look really rustic and beautiful. The knife is definitely a bit heavier than my ikazuchi, from the handle and the thickness of the blade. Cuts well and the tip is great.

The only thing I would have liked is a flat spot on the profile. Like my knife, theres a constant belly and no real flat end.

I can see why nearly everyone recommends the knife for people looking to get into J-knives. Such a great deal with the F&F along with the handle.

Who's getting the knife next?

Just a thought: has anyone ever done a world wide passaround, each stop that person writes a note to the blacksmith, cuts something with it, attach photo (the knife at landmark would be cool), and at the end of the world wide tour, ship it back to the person who made the knife.

Sorry for the delay in updating...total lapse on my part. Pretty sure steelcrimp still has the knife...is there anyone else that would like to give it a test drive? I'll give it a day or so and then start a new thread about what to do with the knife once it's done with the p/a.

Sorry for the delay in updating...total lapse on my part. Pretty sure steelcrimp still has the knife...is there anyone else that would like to give it a test drive?
Yes, but I'm on the wrong continent :)

I don't think I qualify since I really just made an account recently after lurking - but I wish I did!

Latest posts

Back