• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Tanaka Yohei 240mm gyuto, White #1 with wenge handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ian

Refined, yet toothy
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I'm selling my Tanaka Yohei 240mm (really 227) gyuto in White #1, with a wenge monowood octagonal handle. I'm selling because I sell all my knives after a few months, as many of you know from my frequent BST posts. It's a great performer. The White #1 steel forged by Yoshikazu Tanaka is awesome, and takes a killer edge with little effort. Retention seems reasonable, but what do I know since I only cook at home. It's a thin convex grind, reasonably 50/50 I think, done by the sharpener that Hitohira calls `Yohei', in their usual tradition of using pseudonyms from the movie "Seven Samurai". Moves through food well, has pretty decent food release for such a thin knife. The handle is more comfortable than I thought it would be, at least after sanding the sharp corners. It feels really good in the hand.

Specs

227 mm heel to tip
49 mm tall at the heel
161 g
White #1 core with iron cladding
Wenge monowood octagonal handle

Price and Condition

I'm asking $380 shipped in the CONUS. I paid $425 (including taxes and shipping) when I bought it new from Strata Portland at the end of April. Since then, it's been sharpened maybe 3 or 4 times, mostly by me and probably once by @labor of love. It had a completely nonexistent edge OOTB (like, no bevel at all, just dull convexity), so the first sharpening was not a touchup. I don't think it has seen anything lower than 2k stones since, though. The finish is a bit different than OOTB. The mirror core is scratchier (although once it patinas I'm not sure you'll notice), and I smoothed down the awful bead blasted finish on the iron. There was a ton of drag OOTB pushing the knife passing through food, and a few smudges and reacted-on fingerprints: a bit of 1200/2000 grit sandpaper and flitz has tamed it. I also sanded the edges of the handle. OOTB, they were sharp enough to cut! You don't cut with the handle!

Last edited:
Here are pictures.

BC5B8589-A822-4E97-A05D-3C1FFF55F8FF.jpeg
23A736AA-77E9-45D0-99AC-4053B32B8D80.jpeg
12F7E9B1-7840-427C-B15A-CEFE0807E3EC.jpeg
8B9CDD2C-2FEF-4735-BC87-68F61EED98E6.jpeg
E904E1ED-6792-4844-B2DB-B6795D6A139E.jpeg

I’m into knives not having OOTB sharpness. I like setting my own bevel and not having to wait to find out how she handles on the rocks.

GLWS, if this hangs around a while and price drops you may hear from me

Reactions: ian
I’m into knives not having OOTB sharpness. I like setting my own bevel and not having to wait to find out how she handles on the rocks.

GLWS, if this hangs around a while and price drops you may hear from me

Yea, I put every knife to the stones immediately. But there are degrees... this one had a pretty mirror core, but a rounded thick “edge“. Had to immediately drop to a lower grit, wail on it for a while, and it was basically impossible to preseve the aesthetics perfectly on the core. That‘s work, it’s not getting to know how the steel feels. That said, it’s an awesome cutter and a great overall knife!

Last edited:
I was looking at one of these in blue steel, but if this doesn’t sell before I get the paycheck..... well we will see

Reactions: ian
I legitimately love this knife and have been raving about it to anyone that will listen.
Tbh this is a great choice for wh1 if you’re looking for something besides TF Mab.
Just stop, will you? It's AU$500 and I'm desperately telling myself it's bigger and more expensive than I want...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back