Tanaka Yoshikazu from JNS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can recognize a fellow Masshole a mile away, wicked obvious. Are you using this at home or professional kitchen? Any follow-on thoughts? Seems like everyone has said only good things so far.
Haha! Yup guilty as charged. Mass transplant in Seattle? Used to live out on the Olympic peninsula. Love the northwest, but nothing beats home! I'm just a home cook, but I've put it to use almost every day since I got it. It is still pretty new so I can't comment much more than what I wrote in that post. I can't predict having anything really negative to say about it though!

Haha! Yup guilty as charged. Mass transplant in Seattle? Used to live out on the Olympic peninsula. Love the northwest, but nothing beats home! I'm just a home cook, but I've put it to use almost every day since I got it. It is still pretty new so I can't comment much more than what I wrote in that post. I can't predict having anything really negative to say about it though!

Yep, I grew up in MA and lived there until mid-20s. Moved to Seattle for grad school, which I'm still working on. Glad to hear you've been enjoying it... if this thread dies, I'll probably try to resurrect this thread in a few weeks to get more feedback! Is there anything you'd compare this knife to?

I grabbed a 240mm blue #1 from JNS at the end of the Black Friday sale, I just used it this weekend, I really like it. The blade is very thin behind the edge and it’s a pretty tall knife, it flys through onions and softer items, there was a little more sticking than I’d like though in carrots. It arrived completely blunt but sharpened up really easily.

The length and profile are as expected short and tall with a decent flat spot. If I wanted a 240mm knife I’d be disappointed (but I wasn’t) I’m only a home cook so it’s quite nice in my small kitchen but big enough to take in most tasks.

The fit and finish of the handle was a bit rough so I gave it a sand and polish with some some oil and beeswax and added a bit more wax around the tang but now it looks very much more in keeping with the rest of the knife. The finish on the blade is beautiful and rounded in all the right places (though only slightly on the spine).

Mine also arrived with a tiny bit of damage to the tip, literally the last fraction of a mm of the point was missing - I suspect from shipping. It’s so small it wasn’t worth complaining about (some might even have not noticed) and only took a minute to fix.

All in all I think it’s a fantastic knife which compliments my other Toyama gyutos well as a more lasery option. I also prefer the geometry to my blue #1 Kagekiyo, I’m still not sure about wide bevels..

Being sold by JNS also means as a UK buyer I don’t get hit with massive import tax compared to other similar knives from hitohira / konosuke etc.

I'm excited for the good reviews but maybe I shouldn't propagate hype

Yeah I think they are copying Konosuke in some regard here, maybe even more the FT laser/grind than the FM.

JNS profile actually looks better than Kono (IMHO) but profiles are always subjective.

Keep in mind also it's really hard to duplicate a 51 profile with 55 heel height because of the trigonomerty.

I have the Kono Fujiyama FT grind in a 240mm Gyuto and I love how it cuts. Konosuke is not using the FT sharpener any longer so these Tanaka's look appealing.

While I'm sitting here agonizing about an e-mail I just got from JNS announcing a 15% discount on Tanaka's - dang i don't need a new knife but - they look pretty nice in B#1

The blade is very thin behind the edge and it’s a pretty tall knife, it flys through onions and softer items, there was a little more sticking than I’d like though in carrots.
I have exactly same feeling about my 240 Tanaka blue 1 from JNS. And almost everything else you said. Very good review.

JNS is offering a 240 white 1 at a pretty reasonable price but - dang I want that 240 Blue 1 I just don't know if it's worth it to pay for an iron clad Damascus? What do you all think?

Well you might need to start thinking about owning multiple sujis ;)

That 240 B#1 Tanaka Gyuto at JNS to calling to me but, I already have a knife on order at Watanabe and just picked up that Shigefusa Santuko at JNS a few week back so - I need to proceed with "caution" while my wife get's over my spending spree ;-)

I see these are on sale. How do they compare to his other maker grinds. I have a tsubaya 240 gyuto and a Fujiyama mukimono. Steels fantastic. How's the feel? The Tsubaya has some variation, my dad and I bought the same knife at the same time, when I used his, it was thicker than mine more height and better separation, but less surgical than mine.

My current two are Blue 1s. I really love the look of the Damascus, but is the W1 worth checking out at this price instead?

I'd pick up a B#1 if I could get it in kasumi and didn't have to pay the upcharge for Damascus.

I feel the same way since for me the Damascus is only for appearances. The kasumi gluts he's offering are in W#1 and I'm looking for a blue paper steel knife.

It's been implied that they are like the Konosuke Fujiyama FT knives and I love the one I picked up a few months back. I have heavier knives in T-F and Kato Workhorse so a thinner knife is welcome for most tasks in my home kitchen.

My 210 blue 1 Tanaka is 3,2 and 1 at the heel, half way and close to the tip respectively. Very thin. Weighs 133 grams with a ho handle. It fills my need for a light knife for delicate tasks.

Got it on sale the last time Maxim had a sale.

My 210 blue 1 Tanaka is 3,2 and 1 at the heel, half way and close to the tip respectively. Very thin. Weighs 133 grams with a ho handle. It fills my need for a light knife for delicate tasks.

Got it on sale the last time Maxim had a sale.

Is your 210 a Damascus version? If the Tanaka is anything like my Konosuke Fujiyama FT I'm interested.

Back