Quantcast

Tanaka Yoshikazu from JNS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

labor of love

Reaction score
Lucas, it is not that impossible. It does not take a scientific measurements to feel that, for example, Tanaka white#1 is much faster to sharpen than for example white#2 Munetoshi Honyaki. There is definitely difference in hardness and also edge holding.
Tanaka wh1 seems pretty hard to me though.
Or atleast Yohei line is...I thought it was not full TF Maboroshi but very close...Munetoshi must be very hard stuff...

Last edited:

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must admit that I know little about different Y. Tanaka lines available from different vendors, so I guess there will be differences. The one from JNS feels ‘normal’ or as one could expect on stones. Honyaki Munetoshi feels very hard - makes me wonder how it can stay without microchipping - contrary to kurouchi Munetoshi (which is also harder than most)

LucasFur

Reaction score
Tanaka white#1 is much faster to sharpen than for example white#2 Munetoshi Honyaki. There is definitely difference in hardness and also edge holding.
So this means tanaka white 1 is better for sharpening than munetoshi white 2 Honyaki?
I know tanaka has an amazing reputation for high hardness. So is Tanaka’s HT “better than” even munetoshi’s Honyaki HT?
I’ll say right off the bat, I had a carter cutlery... and tanaka’s ht was way better. TF has mean even better HT (thoigh there are other issues)
So bad HT ... who has a “bad HT” ... we all want high hardness/ ease of sharpening / non-chippy ... who’s brittle/ smudgy and soft? ... Maybe “Laguiole” 😂😂.

M1k3

HonOvergrind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tojiro Shirogami. Well, inconsistent..

Hz_zzzzzz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't find my Munetoshi KU white 2 very hard to be honest. I mean it’s not soft, but I thinned it and a zkramer 52100 down to zero bevel and Munetoshi KU felt softer than zkramer 52100. Among white 2 steel knives I tried, I think Mazaki Ku is also a little harder than Munetoshi Ku but not by much. The Munetoshi honyaki might be a different story though. And my Kono FM white 1 feels harder than both Munetoshi and Mazaki.

However, I do feel Watanabe blue 2 harder than my Tanaka blue 1. Am I crazy? Everyone is saying Tanaka San is pushing it to the limit like HRC of 64 or 65 for blue 1. I have a abs style damascus knife that was tested to be 64.5. It feels harder than any of knives mentioned above including Tanaka blue 1.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
I didn't find my Munetoshi KU white 2 very hard to be honest. I mean it’s not soft, but I thinned it and a zkramer 52100 down to zero bevel and Munetoshi KU felt softer than zkramer 52100. Among white 2 steel knives I tried, I think Mazaki Ku is also a little harder than Munetoshi Ku but not by much. The Munetoshi honyaki might be a different story though. And my Kono FM white 1 feels harder than both Munetoshi and Mazaki.

However, I do feel Watanabe blue 2 harder than my Tanaka blue 1. Am I crazy? Everyone is saying Tanaka San is pushing it to the limit like HRC of 64 or 65 for blue 1. However, I have a abs style damascus knife that was tested to be 64.5. It feels harder than any of knives mentioned above including Tanaka blue 1.
Definitely not crazy imo. I can't think of any blue #2 that seems harder or better edge retention then toyama. I have a tanaka blue #2 FM, and although it seems pretty hard and great edge retention. It does not seem to outlast toyama. I suspect the tanaka will feel better on the stones.

Hz_zzzzzz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of soft steel, I have a Shibazi Chinese cleaver in 4cr steel which is super soft. It’s even softer than CCK carbon steel by quite a bit. I was able to thin it to nearly zero bevel in ~20 minutes on shapton glass 500.

labor of love

Reaction score
Yeah I dunno about crazy high hardness from Tanaka but it does feel harder than other things of similar nature from sakai. I still keep going back to Ikeda because evidently he and I shared the same tastes for sharpeners so whatever.

Twigg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not crazy imo. I can't think of any blue #2 that seems harder or better edge retention then toyama. I have a tanaka blue #2 FM, and although it seems pretty hard and great edge retention. It does not seem to outlast toyama. I suspect the tanaka will feel better on the stones.
Itsou Doi is great with Blue #2. I think it is every bit as good as what I experienced with Toyama.

Jville

Reaction score
Itsou Doi is great with Blue #2. I think it is every bit as good as what I experienced with Toyama.
I cant argue that. I had one of his blue#2 for a little bit, and for the small time that i had the knife his blue #2 treatment seemed stellar!

QCDawg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did this turn out?
It’s one of my favorites. And I looove mid to big petties. It has become my “go to“ raw meat portioning, silverskin removal etc. it’s better than the 160 KS petty, which is a legend for this work. It also rips shallots apart. The edge retention is weak...but if you blow on it... it comes right back 🤣