Tanaka Yoshikazu from JNS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it’s also monosteel, which is interesting.

I looked hard for the cladding line and can't see one. Maybe Maksim can confirm

IMHO a great profile, not a fan of the sakai laser-type choil shot tho

P1120798__15885.1569674547.jpg

I'm not really in the market for a new knife right now, but I think my next purchase will be a tall laser. This one is 55mm. Sounds perfect. Can't to hear how people like them.

Edit: just looked at the price. Yikes! That's a lot for a laser.

Last edited:
Yeah likewise. Seems at odds with other knives on a website largely dedicated to natural stone polishing

'Knives dedicated to natural stone polishing' - I would rather think they are dedicated to cutting. There is no 'conflict of interest' with monosteel knives on JNS :)

That profile looks killer to me. The price, on the other hand...

It looks pretty similar to Konosuke FM except the height.

Razorsharp sells white #2 yozhikazu tanaka kurouchi gyutos.
Mine is 240mm long 53mm tall @ 450 Singapore dollars its amazing value. Maybe best cutter out of all my knives.

Maksim sent me a few photos of the knife because I was afraid of overgrind. I bought a few Sakai knives from a reputable vendor and they had overgrinds.

From the photos Maksim sent me, it definitely looks like there is no lamination line, therefore it being monosteel. I’m not 100% though, just postulating.

Can’t wait to touch it up on a natural and play with it!

Ps. I’m on my phone rn, but it looks like I need a computer to upload photos and it’s kind of a hassle. Sorry people!

It looks pretty similar to Konosuke FM except the height.

Yeah I think they are copying Konosuke in some regard here, maybe even more the FT laser/grind than the FM.

JNS profile actually looks better than Kono (IMHO) but profiles are always subjective.

Keep in mind also it's really hard to duplicate a 51 profile with 55 heel height because of the trigonomerty.

Last edited:
@labor of love ahaha, we literally have the same taste in knives. Last week I asked Hitohira if the 240mm version of that Tsubaya Tanaka would come back in the future and they said yes.

Back