Tanaka Yoshikazu from JNS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strongly considering the 210 Deba, any more experiences with this maker? Actually if the general style is a blade thinner behind the edge might work great on a Deba(?) Maybe Maxim has a post holiday sale...

No experience with maker. But. 210 is a lot of Deba. I use a 165 or 180 for good sized salmon and it's all I need. I've found it's easier to work with a deba that's small for the job than one that is big for the job.

I picked up a blue dammy 240 off BST and will buy a 270 once there's another JNS sale.

Steel is tough and survived an old, dry stack of lemongrass about a dozen thick and portioning a chicken without chipping. Still sharp after a few weeks of home use. I leave it laying around forever without a wipe all the time. Food release is better than the grind suggests. Nothing but praise on my end.

No experience with maker. But. 210 is a lot of Deba. I use a 165 or 180 for good sized salmon and it's all I need. I've found it's easier to work with a deba that's small for the job than one that is big for the job.
Have been using 180 last years. What you say does make a lot of sense.
My thought pattern is that it will make the cleaning part of the filet easier after its off the bone, because you have a longer blade. The butchering part I am a bit more curious/worried about, and think the 180 is easier to handle in that regard...

Yes that is an intriguing knife. Honestly have not found other good places to find Japanese knives in the EU than JNS apart from BST, always stuck with Maxim. Buying from US or Japan is too much of a hassle with toll offices and taxes, but if someone knows about good EU sources I´d be all ear. :)

I picked up a blue dammy 240 off BST and will buy a 270 once there's another JNS sale.

Steel is tough and survived an old, dry stack of lemongrass about a dozen thick and portioning a chicken without chipping. Still sharp after a few weeks of home use. I leave it laying around forever without a wipe all the time. Food release is better than the grind suggests. Nothing but praise on my end.
That's impressive and ballsy going at deboning chicken with a nice thin, thin at the edge dammy 240. Those dammys have been quite tempting

That's impressive and ballsy going at deboning chicken with a nice thin, thin at the edge dammy 240. Those dammys have been quite tempting
tbh the lemongrass was scarier. That and crispy, day old bacon are my favorite ways to test an edge. I would never use it for chicken at work though, too many outside variables.

Yes that is an intriguing knife. Honestly have not found other good places to find Japanese knives in the EU than JNS apart from BST, always stuck with Maxim. Buying from US or Japan is too much of a hassle with toll offices and taxes, but if someone knows about good EU sources I´d be all ear. :)
Check out CleanCut. Another good EU option.

Ballsy indeed! My White version was a chipping machine until I took off the stock edge. Even though I made a more stable edge, I'd still never take mine to lemongrass.

There a lot of very good vendors lately, I just picked up a 240mm Shigefusa form Knifewears at an outstanding price. It seems that I keep finding great knives between JNS Tanaka sales!

Reactions: Rom
There a lot of very good vendors lately, I just picked up a 240mm Shigefusa form Knifewears at an outstanding price. It seems that I keep finding great knives between JNS Tanaka sales!
wow, lucky you. I turned on every email notifications and never get a chance to actually purchase one. When was that?

wow, lucky you. I turned on every email notifications and never get a chance to actually purchase one. When was that?
Perhaps I was lucky being at the keyboard at the right time. It was 6/23 and since I get up a lot at night (old guy issues) I stumbled on to both a 240 and a 270 Shigefusa at JNS two weeks ago. I was a little surprised that the JNS price on the 240 was almost $180 more than Knifewear. I didn't need a second 240 and the 270 at over $1000 was too much for me.

Apart from JNS and Cleancut there is also meesterslijpers.nl and hamono.nl, japan-messer-shop.de who have some intersting and well priced stuff. There is also japanische-kochmesser.ch in Switzerland but unless you are in Switzerland , know someone there or take a journey, not really cheap since you also have to pay Vat and duties. Cuttingedgeknives.co.uk and kitchenprovisions sometimes has interesting stuff too.

Perhaps I was lucky being at the keyboard at the right time. It was 6/23 and since I get up a lot at night (old guy issues) I stumbled on to both a 240 and a 270 Shigefusa at JNS two weeks ago. I was a little surprised that the JNS price on the 240 was almost $180 more than Knifewear. I didn't need a second 240 and the 270 at over $1000 was too much for me.
How much did the 240 Shig cost you if you don’t mind me asking? 😊

Going back to the original post, anyone have an idea how the JNS Y Tanakas sharpened by Mitimoto Nakazima compare to the Y Tanakas retailed by Sakai Kikumori and other domestic retailers in Japan sharpened by one of the master (dentokougeishi) sharpeners in Sakai? For example, the Y Tanakas carried by Knifewear are sharpened by Ajioka, who is a dentokougeishi. (I understand that dentokougeishi can but does not necessarily mean a sharpener is more skillful than everyone else in Sakai but it's a data point.)

Going back to the original post, anyone have an idea how the JNS Y Tanakas sharpened by Mitimoto Nakazima compare to the Y Tanakas retailed by Sakai Kikumori and other domestic retailers in Japan sharpened by one of the master (dentokougeishi) sharpeners in Sakai? For example, the Y Tanakas carried by Knifewear are sharpened by Ajioka, who is a dentokougeishi. (I understand that dentokougeishi can but does not necessarily mean a sharpener is more skillful than everyone else in Sakai but it's a data point.)
Classic Jose posting. Love it.
I’d stay away from the JNS Tanakas, the grind doesn’t seem to have much character (sorry). I hear people like them.

Tanaka Yohei really activated my almonds, but some other folks think their meh.
Also Takada no Hamono w Tanaka forging.
Curious about those Tanaka Sakai Kikumoris also.

The Yohei is great but a bit different not being a wide bevel unlike others being discussed right?

A84F96B9-F45A-4E68-A5A3-A14F404AA1AB.jpeg

Seconded. I would stay very far away from JNS Tanaka knives. There's a reason he's closing out his stock of them. This 160 petty I bought has two holes in the edge. Completely worthless junk.

@spaceconvoy - that does not look nice. Did you try to return it? I have a 240 gyuto in white #1 and the knife does not have any apparent issues (the sharpening bevel has even width).

Unfortunately I didn't notice this issue for over three months. It's a long story involving a leak that developed in my apartment shortly before it was scheduled to be demolished, compounded by other problems. I lost it among boxes that were haphazardly packed by friends, and just found it this past week. I'll try shooting him an email anyway.

Back