Tang/handle gap?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milosz

Reaction score
I received my first handmade Japanese knife in the mail today - it's fantastic but there's one flaw that's somewhat hard to describe - from the wa handle there's a ~1mm stretch of the narrow tang sticking out before the blade starts to widen and curve. My concerns are about strength and possibly getting my middle finger pinched in there when taking a pinch grip. OTOH, knowing these are handmade knives I realize I could be worried about nothing. Just thought I'd solicit opinions on whether or not it's worth worrying about before I contact the shop.

aOSDfpl.jpg

It looks like it would be a flaw, but is not. It's called the machi and it's pretty common in J knives. The reasoning behind it escapes me, maybe knife balance?

Yes, as Bill13 said it's called a machi. Most Japanese knives have a machi, but a lot of overseas customers do not like it, so some companies adjust it for their audience. However, traditionally knives have that machi gap for various reasons. Ones of which is that it makes it easier to sharpen. To be completely honest though, I've been trying to find more reasons why for like... 3 years.

The only reason that makes sense to me is that on a friction-held handle (tang hole burned into a stock handle with a pilot hole), over time the hold gets a little loose, so you need some space on a blade to force it further in. The gap makes absolutely no difference in sharpening, that is, it doesn't make it easier or harder.

From an American maker's standpoint, to square the shoulders so they are flush with the handle is not an easy thing, particularly by hand, so this step is often skipped for the sake of production efficiency.

M

It leaves room so the handle can be refitted properly several times.

Marko, on a yanagi the shinogi may rise to the height of the emoto. In that case a machi would allow for sharpening without the stone running into the handle. I know there are other ways with dealing with this issue, but in this situation, the machi does facilitate sharpening.

Marko, on a yanagi the shinogi may rise to the height of the emoto. In that case a machi would allow for sharpening without the stone running into the handle. I know there are other ways with dealing with this issue, but in this situation, the machi does facilitate sharpening.

I was peering at the diagram http://zknives.com/images/knives/kitchen/jbladeant.jpg trying to understand how "shinogi may rise to the height of the emoto" could lead to problems with sharpening. Could you explain it more please

Back