Teruyasu Fujiwara Gyuto Denka 240 mm + Ebony handle with buffalo horn ferrule

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Assur

Reaction score
I would like to know all of you opinion about this knife and finger rest option is needed or not?
I roughly know about TF Denka, there are overgrind and poor edge geometry which I have to concern.

Now, I am contacting Fujiwara knives via Gaku.
He promised that they will do the best to avoid those problem.

I feel like a gamble to buy this knife but I am really love this knife.
If I want to buy it, is it worth for? As you know well the price is very high 107,800 JPY.

In the 1st time I would buy Takeda Gyuto AS but after I talk to my friend who is the chef.
He said that TF Denka is the best of AS and I do not know about TF Denka before.
So, I studied TF Denka from KKF and I found many comments and complains about those overgrind and poor edge geometry.

Please give me your opinion and advise me.
All of you comments is much appreciated.

TL;DR Only have Maboroshi however great steel to work with, easy to sharpen with crazy sharp edge potential, feels amazing in the hand and love the higher than normal blade height. I'm a complete TF convert and understand the TF fandom.
Should get comparisons from guys that have used Denka and other similarly priced knives as I'm not sure that I'd call it a good 'value' purchase for everyone. Also what sort of tasks it'd be used for?

I have the maboroshi not the Denka but I hope there is some information you can extrapolate.
Is it worth it? This is very subjective and depends on what you get and how much work you're willing to put into the blade/ handle. You may get a knife that requires little/ no added work or you may get a real 'project knife' or something inbetween.
I got a really great example of TF's work- grind is great and works better than all my other knives (from what I understand - no gross variation in the grind I can detect) and Fit and Finish (spine rounding and handle) was acceptable - spine was rough but not sharp (easily fixed with some sandpaper) and the handle was nice, feels good in the hand with no issues (it's no KnS custom ebony) and the buffalo horn ferule is quite a nice segment.
- If you're someone that does mind having to work on this knife and would prefer a 'perfectly' finished knife then I would say that this aspect is not worth it.
From my limited experience with my Maboroshi I would say that it is worth buying and will buy a Denka if I find an Aussie retailer that stocks them. I say this because the steel is amazing to work with, it is not chippy, it sharpens suuuper easily (even for a very novice sharpener), it takes an amazing edge and retains this for a very long while (home cook not a chef). And then there is something appealing about the TF, as someone else has put it on this forum, the TF is like a wild mustang and there is something just so badass about this super polarising knife. The allure of the 'gamble' when buying it and the controversy that surrounds it... all combined with the rustic look of the knife makes it ideal and, to me, worth it.
Finger Rest
The finger rest is a little small for my hands so I just made it larger with a file and some sandpaper.

Notch on yo. Or whatever you want or don't want.
I want or I don't want now under consider but I just wanna know the opinion about the notch.
Is it good support finger? or Is it impact to knive balance?

TL;DR Only have Maboroshi however great steel to work with, easy to sharpen with crazy sharp edge potential, feels amazing in the hand and love the higher than normal blade height. I'm a complete TF convert and understand the TF fandom.
Should get comparisons from guys that have used Denka and other similarly priced knives as I'm not sure that I'd call it a good 'value' purchase for everyone. Also what sort of tasks it'd be used for?

I have the maboroshi not the Denka but I hope there is some information you can extrapolate.
Is it worth it? This is very subjective and depends on what you get and how much work you're willing to put into the blade/ handle. You may get a knife that requires little/ no added work or you may get a real 'project knife' or something inbetween.
I got a really great example of TF's work- grind is great and works better than all my other knives (from what I understand - no gross variation in the grind I can detect) and Fit and Finish (spine rounding and handle) was acceptable - spine was rough but not sharp (easily fixed with some sandpaper) and the handle was nice, feels good in the hand with no issues (it's no KnS custom ebony) and the buffalo horn ferule is quite a nice segment.
- If you're someone that does mind having to work on this knife and would prefer a 'perfectly' finished knife then I would say that this aspect is not worth it.
From my limited experience with my Maboroshi I would say that it is worth buying and will buy a Denka if I find an Aussie retailer that stocks them. I say this because the steel is amazing to work with, it is not chippy, it sharpens suuuper easily (even for a very novice sharpener), it takes an amazing edge and retains this for a very long while (home cook not a chef). And then there is something appealing about the TF, as someone else has put it on this forum, the TF is like a wild mustang and there is something just so badass about this super polarising knife. The allure of the 'gamble' when buying it and the controversy that surrounds it... all combined with the rustic look of the knife makes it ideal and, to me, worth it.
Finger Rest
The finger rest is a little small for my hands so I just made it larger with a file and some sandpaper.

Your opinion is frankly it can helping me to decide.
Thank you very much man!!!

I own, or rather, used to own both Maboroshi and Denka, and I must say Denka is a step above the Maboroshi, in terms of sharpness, edge retention, cutting power, everything. If you can afford, definitely go for Denka.

For all the myths, rumours, false information, and truths about this knife. I've owned 3 TFs, 1 bad one and 2 good ones. But regardless whether they were good or bad, all TFs have one thing in common, they are all excellent cutters. Case in point, my fat Denka petty outperforms all the knives I've got. And if you've got a bad one, it can still be worked on to become perfect. Right now, I just assume all the TFs I buy are project knives, but thats not to say they are bad cutters OOTB, far from that. I buy TF's for their amazing heat treatment and take everything else as it is. But if you can't accept that, then perhaps look at another knife but they will never be a TF.

As for the finger notch, the general consensus have it included. It really does improve comfort and brings the balance of the knife closer to your pinch grip.

I would skip the handle if I were you though, handles from knife makers as an option tend to be more expensive.

I own, or rather, used to own both Maboroshi and Denka, and I must say Denka is a step above the Maboroshi, in terms of sharpness, edge retention, cutting power, everything. If you can afford, definitely go for Denka.

For all the myths, rumours, false information, and truths about this knife. I've owned 3 TFs, 1 bad one and 2 good ones. But regardless whether they were good or bad, all TFs have one thing in common, they are all excellent cutters. Case in point, my fat Denka petty outperforms all the knives I've got. And if you've got a bad one, it can still be worked on to become perfect. Right now, I just assume all the TFs I buy are project knives, but thats not to say they are bad cutters OOTB, far from that. I buy TF's for their amazing heat treatment and take everything else as it is. But if you can't accept that, then perhaps look at another knife but they will never be a TF.

As for the finger notch, the general consensus have it included. It really does improve comfort and brings the balance of the knife closer to your pinch grip.

I would skip the handle if I were you though, handles from knife makers as an option tend to be more expensive.
I am waiting your comment!!! Thank you for you advise and it is valuable for me.
Actually, I already decided to buy Denka and I knew it TF is Project knife and I accept it.
Due to I am also sharpening, it is my hobby. That why I am not worries about that.
I just hope to get the good one better than bad one.

Now, I can completely decide about notch now. It should be had.
Yessss, thank a lot Lemenied!!

I have two Denka and a Takeda. The Denka heat treatment is much better IMO. Definitely get the finger notch. Gaku is a pleasure to work with and can take some pictures of the knife for you to help you decide. I have purchased 3 knives direct from TF and will buy more - I have never felt like I am playing a lottery and have always been very happy with my purchase.

Enjoy your knife!

TF rules!
I am using my Maboroshi for a month and have sharped it once. Great cutter, easy to sharpen with my Shapton pro 2k.
I assume Denka is even greater miracle, so go ahead.
Lemeneid's opinion matters, he has deep knowledge for TF knives.
My words do not matter, I am but a prophet for the TF lord @inzite.

TF rules!
I am using my Maboroshi for a month and have sharped it once. Great cutter, easy to sharpen with my Shapton pro 2k.
I assume Denka is even greater miracle, so go ahead.
Lemeneid's opinion matters, he has deep knowledge for TF knives.
Thank you for your comments.
I understand more and more now about TFs knifes because all of your kindness.

I have whetstone 3 sets,
1. Naniwa chosera 400, 1000, 3000, 5000 and 10,000 grit for 64 HRC up

2. Beston 500, King 800 & 4000, Arashiyama 6000 and Kitayama 8000 for 63 HRC down

3. Naniwa lobster 220, 1000 and 3000 grit for cheep knifes in my home and sharpening For the client who hire me to sharpen their knife.

sharpening is my lovely hobby.

I have two Denka and a Takeda. The Denka heat treatment is much better IMO. Definitely get the finger notch. Gaku is a pleasure to work with and can take some pictures of the knife for you to help you decide. I have purchased 3 knives direct from TF and will buy more - I have never felt like I am playing a lottery and have always been very happy with my purchase.

Enjoy your knife!
I will go to that way, will focus on TFs as far as I can.
Thank you for tour opinion and advise.
I will have to buy more denka about Nakiri abd Petty.

TFsFC

It’s a piece of art, don’t hesitate ;)
115A7B6E-B798-499C-899E-4C02F58CE482.jpeg

I have both Denka and Takeda AS. Though I love my Takeda, they are no way comparable to a Denka. You are making the right choice to go with a Denka.

As you've already decided with your heart on a Denka, I'm too late to the party but...

I've got all flavours of TF and like them all. Regardless of F&F or grind issues, they all cut like crazy. They're also delightful on stones. Personally, I prefer the finger notch if available.

As you like sharpening and realise that to some extent, you're getting an expensive project knife, you'll be happy. You might need to do a little thinning as well. Be aware there are two camps in this debate and the other will advise you not to waste your money.

Edit: If anyone one were buying a TF for the first time, I'd suggest going with a nashiji first up. Cheap and still perform well.

Last edited:
...Edit: If anyone one were buying a TF for the first time, I'd suggest going with a nashiji first up. Cheap and still perform well.

I am looking to buy a Gyuto 210mm. Which TF nashiji would you recommend? Thanks.

I am looking to buy a Gyuto 210mm. Which TF nashiji would you recommend? Thanks.
I would only buy a Wa Nashiji unless you get it rehandled (not cheap). They tend to be lightweights so get as heavy an example as possible and ask them to ease the choil and spine. You can also choose with or without Machi. My preference is the former for better blade control. Final 'pearl' is that the 'upgraded' Ho/Horn handle isn't worth the price. Get a nice burnt oak from Etsy, cheap and well made.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/burnt-chestnut-handles.47441/#post-706617

Thank you @Corradobrit1 for your reply and help. I am not looking to buy something that I have to do any work to at this time. I think I will just look for a different knife.

I would like to know all of you opinion about this knife and finger rest option is needed or not?
I roughly know about TF Denka, there are overgrind and poor edge geometry which I have to concern.

Now, I am contacting Fujiwara knives via Gaku.
He promised that they will do the best to avoid those problem.

I feel like a gamble to buy this knife but I am really love this knife.
If I want to buy it, is it worth for? As you know well the price is very high 107,800 JPY.

In the 1st time I would buy Takeda Gyuto AS but after I talk to my friend who is the chef.
He said that TF Denka is the best of AS and I do not know about TF Denka before.
So, I studied TF Denka from KKF and I found many comments and complains about those overgrind and poor edge geometry.

Please give me your opinion and advise me.
All of you comments is much appreciated.

Get the finger notch IMO. Very comfortable to use.

E9BBBACB-224E-415E-B459-354CA1174A69.jpeg

Although I recommended starting with a nashiji, I don't have a 210mm so it wouldn't be fair to point you towards one. However, I have two Maboroshi 210s. One was bought direct and one from @preizzo, the latter being thinner with better F&F. Regardless, they're both good knives.
Thank you @Corradobrit1 for your reply and help. I am not looking to buy something that I have to do any work to at this time. I think I will just look for a different knife.
Probably a prudent decision in your case.

I have both Denka and Takeda AS. Though I love my Takeda, they are no way comparable to a Denka. You are making the right choice to go with a Denka.
Thank a lot for your comment.

As you've already decided with your heart on a Denka, I'm too late to the party but...

I've got all flavours of TF and like them all. Regardless of F&F or grind issues, they all cut like crazy. They're also delightful on stones. Personally, I prefer the finger notch if available.

As you like sharpening and realise that to some extent, you're getting an expensive project knife, you'll be happy. You might need to do a little thinning as well. Be aware there are two camps in this debate and the other will advise you not to waste your money.

Edit: If anyone one were buying a TF for the first time, I'd suggest going with a nashiji first up. Cheap and still perform well.
Appreciated for your kindly comment and suggest.
I just want to buy the best one in the first time and aslo I do not have an idea to modify handle. So that why I buy denka full op.

Yes you are right. I will be happy with my PJ expensive knife 5555.

Good to hear that! Thank man!
I will change to TF due to I study about blacksmith who the best for Aogami Super.
Then I knew that Master Fujiwara is the best for that.

Back