Teruyasu Fujiwara personnel change?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

DitmasPork

Reaction score
Gaku's a nice fella, but for me, the Isamitsu knives don't seem like enough of an upgrade (if any) from TF, to really want one. TBH, I'd sooner buy another denka before an Isamitsu—TF still has my desires, preferring hammered look on my denka over the Yu Kurosaki-esque finish on the Isamitsu; dig the hallmark finger notch too. Of course. purely my personal taste. I do wish them success and quite keen to see them evolve.
C9F25A52-EE9F-4E0E-8613-DEC4236840E4.JPG

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I mean, I didn't see them as an upgrade, but as something different and unique. You could see them as an upgrade in less risk of wabi-sabiness - but if you got a good TF, that's not so much of a selling point.

This has left me a bit ambivalent as well. I also thought that maybe Fujiwara-San will find it not so great that they so closely imitate his products. Sure, they probably helped shape them and there is enough demand as it is. But I have also thought that it will be nice to see if they come out with some things that are genuine in-house developments, be it as a product or as a style.

Last edited:

DitmasPork

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I mean, I didn't see them as an upgrade, but as something different and unique. You could see them as an upgrade in less risk of wabi-sabiness - but if you got a good TF, that's not so much of a selling point.

This has left me a bit ambivalent as well. I also thought that maybe Fujiwara-San will find it not so great that they so closely imitate his products. Sure, they probably helped shape them and there is enough demand as it is. But I have also thought that it will be nice to see if they come out with some things that are genuine in-house developments, be it as a product or as a style.
Well said.

Reaction score

I don’t really think it’s that close an imitation. Looks have been completely changed, they switched to prelam. And hand finish and pentagonal handle is pretty unique among Japanese makers. I would say they definitely have their own style. Definitely not closer than Wakui vs Yoshikane.

Corradobrit1

Reaction score

Agreed. I think given how well the Morihei ironclad TF's sell, they could carve out a niche focusing on TF level HT, more distal taper and clad the core in iron..... and fix the wabi sabi lottery. A migaki finish would be huge differentiator too. I'm imagining an Isamitsu Kaiju. We can but dream.

Last edited:

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
I don’t really think it’s that close an imitation. Looks have been completely changed, they switched to prelam. And hand finish and pentagonal handle is pretty unique among Japanese makers. I would say they definitely have their own style. Definitely not closer than Wakui vs Yoshikane.
Don't think the funky handle shape adds much to the offering. Ultimately its all about the blade, grind, profile and the HT. Everything else is just aesthetics.

Reaction score
I'm really handsome so I don't think it would be fair representation for me to be the model
To relate to the ugly line cooks and fat home chefs, I select @ethompson - he satisfies both criteria
He. He. He.

I have to admit a boudoir photoshoot is the oddest request I’ve gotten on KKF! But we don’t kink shame here and we gotta give @nakiriknaifuwaifu what he wants…

Last edited: