Teruyasu Fujiwara personnel change?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can’t really tell yet but it’s promising. It’s so sharp out of the box that I know I can sharpen this to Denka level sharpness no matter it is as easy or not.
Sounds very promising, I might get one of their 195mm Santoku (or Nakiri if he does them). Btw is yours their special finish?

I got a shipping notification today but unfortunately am travelling until early next month. Gaku was kind enough to share these pictures with me, which I think look great. Really excited to give it a spin when I get back

The 九一六 engraving on the other side was a custom request

Attachments

• 6BB6C9CF-E36B-4741-87E3-4412B93FBF12.jpeg
    6BB6C9CF-E36B-4741-87E3-4412B93FBF12.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 0
  • EC9ACE74-2C1B-4051-AD11-459ECC8D218F.jpeg
    EC9ACE74-2C1B-4051-AD11-459ECC8D218F.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 30C541A9-5634-4C48-A9C2-D2B0DC7889F3.jpeg
    30C541A9-5634-4C48-A9C2-D2B0DC7889F3.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 54E8524D-4AA4-4BDB-AA26-D198C25FDEAA.jpeg
    54E8524D-4AA4-4BDB-AA26-D198C25FDEAA.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 0
A friend just received his recently said the steel feels very close to TF denka but the grind is much better (consistent). I'm still waiting for mine to show up. Super excited!
yes, I also have a denka and isamitsu blue super. The isamitsu is very similar and slightly harder, the even grind ootb is a key seller despite still rough fit and finish for the yo handles - maybe order wa? They are essentially stone ready right out of the gate, grind near edge is pretty thin imo - I think they are legit strong competitors.

A friend just received his recently said the steel feels very close to TF denka but the grind is much better (consistent).
If their knives are forged from pre-laminated billets, the grinds should appear more consistent.

Much of the TF wabi sabi starts from their process of laminating a thick core steel with stainless cladding.

IMO it’s not apples to apples comparing the fit and finish if Isamitsu use pre-laminated steel.

If their knives are forged from pre-laminated billets, the grinds should appear more consistent.

Much of the TF wabi sabi starts from their process of laminating a thick core steel with stainless cladding.

IMO it’s not apples to apples comparing the fit and finish if Isamitsu use pre-laminated steel.
I asked, the stainless clad is forged from pre laminated plates, but they can do iron clad tho.

prelam billet vs hand lam is more really related to lam line evenness and centering of core steel but not so much actual bevel grinding evenness. Taking extra care and finishing on stones prior to shipping will result in even bevels (i.e. no low or high spots).

All that aside, the knife world is big enough for both Itsamitsu and TF to exist… it doesn’t really need to be one or the other
For sure. TF isn't even taking direct orders for Denka 210-240 rn on their website.
I think it uses a lot of the mysticism being pre-clad, but there's no reason for that to be better performance wise. If the time saved is spent on a more consistent grind, that is a better product for me. Although it makes the high price somewhat weirder, but that may be driven by failure rate more than anything (and because they can)

By the way: I asked Gaku if they do ironclad as well, and if all their knives are KU. His reply was that both iron cladding and other finishes are possible, even though they recommend KU.

Not sure yet if I'll buy a knife from them, but that's certainly nice to have.

Maybe an @Admin would be willing to add "Isamitsu" to the thread title? Then this might be easier to find for people who search for it.
Iron clad option is a game changer for me. I’d love to scoop up an iron clad wh1

I got a shipping notification today but unfortunately am travelling until early next month. Gaku was kind enough to share these pictures with me, which I think look great. Really excited to give it a spin when I get back

The 九一六 engraving on the other side was a custom request
When did you order this? I can’t get the company to answer my status emails from aSeptember 3 order. They told me the knifes would be ready mid November.

Back