Teruyasu Fujiwara personnel change?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put in an order on 30 August and they initially quoted me by the end of October, but then appear to have gotten quite a bit busier and changed the estimate to the end of the year. Then it turns out they actually finished it by mid-November and sent it over
Blame KKF!

Gaku's a nice fella, but for me, the Isamitsu knives don't seem like enough of an upgrade (if any) from TF, to really want one. TBH, I'd sooner buy another denka before an Isamitsu—TF still has my desires, preferring hammered look on my denka over the Yu Kurosaki-esque finish on the Isamitsu; dig the hallmark finger notch too. Of course. purely my personal taste. I do wish them success and quite keen to see them evolve.
C9F25A52-EE9F-4E0E-8613-DEC4236840E4.JPG

I know what you mean. I mean, I didn't see them as an upgrade, but as something different and unique. You could see them as an upgrade in less risk of wabi-sabiness - but if you got a good TF, that's not so much of a selling point.

This has left me a bit ambivalent as well. I also thought that maybe Fujiwara-San will find it not so great that they so closely imitate his products. Sure, they probably helped shape them and there is enough demand as it is. But I have also thought that it will be nice to see if they come out with some things that are genuine in-house developments, be it as a product or as a style.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I mean, I didn't see them as an upgrade, but as something different and unique. You could see them as an upgrade in less risk of wabi-sabiness - but if you got a good TF, that's not so much of a selling point.

This has left me a bit ambivalent as well. I also thought that maybe Fujiwara-San will find it not so great that they so closely imitate his products. Sure, they probably helped shape them and there is enough demand as it is. But I have also thought that it will be nice to see if they come out with some things that are genuine in-house developments, be it as a product or as a style.
Well said.

I don’t really think it’s that close an imitation. Looks have been completely changed, they switched to prelam. And hand finish and pentagonal handle is pretty unique among Japanese makers. I would say they definitely have their own style. Definitely not closer than Wakui vs Yoshikane.

Agreed. I think given how well the Morihei ironclad TF's sell, they could carve out a niche focusing on TF level HT, more distal taper and clad the core in iron..... and fix the wabi sabi lottery. A migaki finish would be huge differentiator too. I'm imagining an Isamitsu Kaiju. We can but dream.

Last edited:
I don’t really think it’s that close an imitation. Looks have been completely changed, they switched to prelam. And hand finish and pentagonal handle is pretty unique among Japanese makers. I would say they definitely have their own style. Definitely not closer than Wakui vs Yoshikane.
Don't think the funky handle shape adds much to the offering. Ultimately its all about the blade, grind, profile and the HT. Everything else is just aesthetics.

I'm really handsome so I don't think it would be fair representation for me to be the model
To relate to the ugly line cooks and fat home chefs, I select @ethompson - he satisfies both criteria
He. He. He.

I have to admit a boudoir photoshoot is the oddest request I’ve gotten on KKF! But we don’t kink shame here and we gotta give @nakiriknaifuwaifu what he wants…

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I stumbled upon this thread because I'm looking for a new high. I may buy more knives in the future but I want to find the upper limit of sharpness this time around.

I like the looks of the K tip 240mm. I have reached out to Gaku and expressed my interest.

Do you think it would be Ill advised to ask him for the sharpest knife he can make, or just let him do his thing and trust the reputation he has as a blacksmith?

Hey folks,

I stumbled upon this thread because I'm looking for a new high. I may buy more knives in the future but I want to find the upper limit of sharpness this time around.

I like the looks of the K tip 240mm. I have reached out to Gaku and expressed my interest.

Do you think it would be Ill advised to ask him for the sharpest knife he can make, or just let him do his thing and trust the reputation he has as a blacksmith?
yea "sharpest knife he can make" is a pretty meaningless statement just let the smith do his thing
may be japanese culture or something but i don't think he'd appreciate the request
not like he'd say oh man i wasn't planning on making him a sharp knife but now that he requested it i guess i must try to make it sharp or something

yea "sharpest knife he can make" is a pretty meaningless statement just let the smith do his thing
may be japanese culture or something but i don't think he'd appreciate the request
not like he'd say oh man i wasn't planning on making him a sharp knife but now that he requested it i guess i must try to make it sharp or something
Yes
I appreciate that may be rude. I just want as extreme cutter(hard geometry etc) as practical, at the expense of durability. Am I even looking at the right knife then?

Yes
I appreciate that may be rude. I just want as extreme cutter(hard geometry etc) as practical, at the expense of durability. Am I even looking at the right knife then?

“Sharp” means something completely different from “extreme cutter”. “Sharp” just refers to the edge on the knife, and anyone who views knives as a hobby should be able to sharpen their own knives at least as sharp as any maker, in many cases probably sharper.

What makes a knife an “extreme cutter” is the geometry, or the way the knife face is ground. It sounds like you’re looking for a knife that’s extremely thin behind the edge, possibly what’s referred to as a “laser” - a knife which is both thin behind the edge and thin at the spine.

I’d suggest filling out the questionnaire and making a new post asking about recommendations for an “extreme cutter” in your price range. You’ll probably get much more meaningful responses that way.

And as @M1k3 implies, if your knives aren’t sharp you should probably start there instead of with a new knife. The sharpening sub-forum can help you out if that’s the case.

Yes
If I'm understanding you correctly, you want a knife that is very hard and very thin.

In that case I'd suggest an Unshu Yukimitsu knife. Best white steel I've used and plenty thin.

https://knifejapan.com/unshu-yukimitsu-hamono-kurouchi-gyuto-200mm/
Just contact KnifeJapan directly if you want a 240mm version.

And fyi, Yhuki is the formal blacksmith at Isamitsu. I'm sure Gaku knows his way round a furnace but Yhuki is the one with the experience.

“Sharp” means something completely different from “extreme cutter”. “Sharp” just refers to the edge on the knife, and anyone who views knives as a hobby should be able to sharpen their own knives at least as sharp as any maker, in many cases probably sharper.

What makes a knife an “extreme cutter” is the geometry, or the way the knife face is ground. It sounds like you’re looking for a knife that’s extremely thin behind the edge, possibly what’s referred to as a “laser” - a knife which is both thin behind the edge and thin at the spine.

I’d suggest filling out the questionnaire and making a new post asking about recommendations for an “extreme cutter” in your price range. You’ll probably get much more meaningful responses that way.

And as @M1k3 implies, if your knives aren’t sharp you should probably start there instead of with a new knife. The sharpening sub-forum can help you out if that’s the case.

Thanks Delat for your detailed response.
I realise there is a whole lot of nuance here. There is a whole forum of it. I do not wish to trigger with such an obtuse word as sharp😜. I do think however that in the context of this thread that we have some pretty fussy enthusiasts looking for an extremely impressive knife. If I could add some personal context I've got about 10 Japanese knives and some of them are yoshikane takamura and DOI. I wish to buy one more knife with sharpness as priority. From the on I'm a stamp collector

Back