Texas check-in thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16756

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know there are probably some other members from Texas. This was a harrowing week for my family; >3 days with no power at all and single-digit temps. But we're ok now, thankfully, if still very tired.

Please post your status in this thread so we know if you're doing ok or if there is something we can do to help.

Side note: please please please keep politics out. I am very mad. Probably all Texans are very mad. That can wait. If we have a member who needs help I dont want that to get lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be a while before they answer, but good luck to you all.
A lot of frustrated people dealing with one-in-a-lifetime hurricane-level disaster .. all I can say is good luck.

Practical things to consider:
- turn off the water to your house if you still can and open the taps. When things thaw you don't want it spewing water all over if you have burst pipes. Open taps might prevent burst pipes if water has somewhere to expand into.
- turn off power to your home, if you have leaks, you don't want shorts in the walls, or blown fuses if stuff just got wet.
- if you still can .. turn off water and power to your house and just drive east/west, book an airbnb.
- don't run your car in a closed garage.
- don't start open flames (firewood etc) indoors.
- if you need to warm up a bottle of water put it in 2nd or 3rd layer of your clothing to use radiant heat from your body, not close to your skin.
- eat more a bit more fatty things than you usually would.
- for some people keeping your feet and neck mildly warm is more efficient than keeping your chest extra warm.
- staying in one room helps as it heats up the air, hang thick blanked over the doorway. Putting a camping tent inside a room helps even more as it will also keep the warm air .. just leave enough of a gap for venting.

Yes, been a tough week here in Dallas. Lowest temps I've experienced in 18 years. Buildings here aren't built for these extremes and the cracks are showing. Luckily I haven't lost power although many in neighboring areas have, and I can only imagine the misery that caused. Before the front hit I opened faucets around the house to reduce risk of burst pipes, covered outside faucets in old comforters. Seems to have worked. Only leak was at an outside shower where the tap had worked loose. Heads need to roll, but I don't see much changing. Finger pointing has already begun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very fortunate to not have lost power, but just got my water back after effectively losing it Monday. No frozen pipes, just system wide low pressure due to broken pipes and pumping stations going offline.

I am fortunate to have kept power and water. I have been in dfw for 25 years and while this isnt the most snow i have seen, i have never seen it get so cold.

- don't start open flames (firewood etc) indoors.
Equally important (you actually may have meant this but people may not think of it as "open flame" exactly): Don't use anything that has ANY flame for heat or for light or for cooking, unless it's your permanent fireplace, furnace, or heating stove that was already in regular use just before this started - or a 100% watched and supervised candle. Anything with kerosene, propane, or gas is definitely outdoor only, unless you have a permanently installed, up to code, in regular use two weeks ago propane heating system.

Not many people try starting a bonfire on the living room floor, but too many people suffocate from using a kerosene heater or camp stove indoors.

Last edited:
I lost power early Monday morning and evacuated to my girlfriend's. Pipes froze and when power came back on, flooded my apartment. Despite quick initial cleanup, the damage is so extensive, my landlord told me I had to vacate so I'm going through the process of packing up and trying to find a mover. We never lost power here but we're without water for three days. All said, it could be much worse.

Latest posts

Back