TF Chronicles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to just announce how much I f7cking love my morihei hisamoto right now.. end game knife has been found. 😎

I'm not a pro but in a similar boat with my 300 from Tsubaya. The steel is unreal too. Unlike yours I love it because it's such a beefcake. Still very thin behind the edge but it's 430g so it thickens up quickly. Nothing about it makes sense but it just works for me. I'm so close to buying the 270 morihei on hitohira but am concerned it won't have the same magic as this one. I previously had a 210 morihei and it was good, but not on the same level as this one.

Ok that sounded a bit harsh 🤣
IMG_2437.jpeg

He didn’t think it was too harsh, nor was it a joke.

Can’t take any of you folks that only own one TF seriously.
Give me dedication or GTFO

Yes, I realize this is (mostly) a joke, but...
I got my first TF (210 Denka gyuto with a Joe Bone ironwood wa handle) a couple of months ago from BST and I'm loving it.
So now I'm wondering what's the sweet spot for a second Denka.

A 150 mm petty?
A 150 mm gyuto?
A 165 mm nakiri?
Something else?

I'm asking more from the "What does Fujiwara do best?" perspective, rather than the "What else do I need in my knife drawer?" POV
(which is, realistically, probably nothing.)
I'm thinking that it might be fun to order directly from TF, but that raises the question of specs/special requests or lack thereof.

TIA

Last edited:
I got my first TF (210 Denka gyuto with a Joe Bone ironwood wa handle) a couple of months ago from BST and I'm loving it.

A 150 mm petty?
A 150 mm gyuto?
A 165 mm nakiri?
Something else?

I'm asking more from the "What does Fujiwara do best?" perspective, rather than the "What else do I need in my knife drawer?" POV
I'm thinking that it might be fun to order directly from TF, but that raises the question of specs/special requests or lack thereof.

TIA
The only 3 TFs I’ve used out of 10 at this point that were kinda meh would be 150 petty, 240mm denka gyuto and 240mm Mab wa gyuto.
Petty is ok nothing remarkable has a sorta gyuto profile which I’m trying to sharpen out over time.
Denka gyuto was too curvy. After studying hundreds of TF profiles I think the taller you request a blade to be the curvier it becomes, they don’t seem to lower the tip any. Sweet spot IMO is 50-52mm.
Mab Wa gyuto just had inconsistent grind that at the time I was too lazy to deal with so I got rid of it.
I think the 180mm and 195 gyutos looks consistently good if that size is your thing.
Never ordered direct but perhaps I’ll try. Isamitsu will do AS soft iron clad western for a bit less than a Denka so that’s where my hearts at.
My fave TF cutters so far are 210mm denka and 240 Hisamoto.

A 150 mm petty?
A 150 mm gyuto?
A 165 mm nakiri?
Something else?

TIA
Denka petty is a waste of superb HT and grind. I'd go for a nakiri. The weight forward feel of their nakiri is a perfect profile for a Denka. Whatever you get make sure its THIN BTE not thicc.

Never ordered direct but perhaps I’ll try. Isamitsu will do AS soft iron clad western for a bit less than a Denka so that’s where my hearts at.
My fave TF cutters so far are 210mm denka and 240 Hisamoto.
Another user who's seen the light. Love my 210 Denka and Hisamotos. The oversized 240 was just too long in my hands.

I’d consider - not a Denka - but a 180 TF Mab. You might find it interesting…
I have a 195 Maboroshi (actual edge length is ~204mm). It's the knife I go for unless I need something else specific - i.e. honesuki, nakiri, sujihiki.

Look who I bumped into today at the SF Civic Center farmer’s market:
View attachment 311218
#theotherTFTFTFTFTFTFTFTFTF

Small world. I used to work with Tyler's brother who also wrote for Tennis Magazine back in the day.
No, the connection never resulted in any good meals.
Strangely, another Tennis friend, the great food writer Andrew Friedman, has become my fine dining mentor.
You should totally read Chefs, Drugs, and Rock & Roll and The Dish.

And especially Knives at Dawn, his gem of a book about the Bocuse D'Or competition.

Last edited:
Knocking out some random morning prep and appreciating the banding that develops off Maborishi stainless cladding (antique wagon wheel stainless)

Attachments

• IMG_8812.png
    IMG_8812.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8811.png
    IMG_8811.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8813.mov
    22.2 MB

Latest posts

Back