TF Chronicles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the ho wood handle on my 240 TF Maboroshi was fine. Didn't see any reason to change it.

If get a Denka think the red hue burl wood with black buffalo horn will go well with black KU on the Denka.

Miggus look forward to seeing your 240 Denka when it comes in.
I figure 210 - 397.95 $
240- 612.24 $

I've seen much higher prices on BST & sellers outside Japan.

That is a nice new @JoBone handle! Does it flare out from the ferrule to the butt of the handle like the TF ho wood handle? I really like the look of the dark wood, but I love the proportions and feel of the original TF handle on my Denka.
It tapers more than stock. Top of the ferrule is 18.5x21.3. Butt is 21.1x27.5. Stock is 19.8x24 and 22.4x27.5. Custom is 5mm longer

That is a nice new @JoBone handle! Does it flare out from the ferrule to the butt of the handle like the TF ho wood handle? I really like the look of the dark wood, but I love the proportions and feel of the original TF handle on my Denka.
If youd like i have the original handle from my 240 denka and a 240 sugi tf with a sugi handle, i can post a side by side

I'm probably going to have the chance to go to the TF store in Tokyo soon. Assuming he has multiple Denkas in stock, how do I determine which is a "good" one and which is a "not so good" one? If they're all laid out in front of me, what should I be looking for?

That would be very useful, thanks!
Denka has a handle from lets handle this, its original handle is in the middle and the sugi x tf has a sugi handle. Also worth noting How much better the fit and finish from @Forty Ounce is.
BC2710E0-2321-453C-A2BC-8D0C4416396D.jpeg

I'm probably going to have the chance to go to the TF store in Tokyo soon. Assuming he has multiple Denkas in stock, how do I determine which is a "good" one and which is a "not so good" one? If they're all laid out in front of me, what should I be looking for?
Make sure the sides are completely asymmetrical, no obvious overgrinds, and make sure these are THIN. Thick denkas are no good.

So I got an answer to my inquiry about a 240 Denka gyuto that is 2.5mm - 3mm thick and 55mm-60mm tall. They wrote that they can do it, but

it is not a technical matter, but it will lose its slimness as a Gyuto. If that is ok with you, we will build a mold
Not sure what this means. I wonder if they mean it won't be as nimble if it's taller, which kinda is the idea. But if it ends up 60mm tall but 5mm thick, I won't be happy since thinness is the most important thing.

I mean, I do appreciate Miho is taking the time to really try and work this out with me, that is nice. I asked him to explain and will see. I think we're making progress :)

Last edited:
Nice handles! Did the sugi handle change the balance point very much?
I can speak the the one I just did. The cocobolo handle I got from from Sugi was 25g heavier than the stock Ho wood and pulled the balance back about 2cm. I expect the balance would probably be similar to what it would be with the TF ebony handle, but don't have a way to confirm that.

So I got an answer to my inquiry about a 240 Denka gyuto that is 2.5mm - 3mm thick and 55mm-60mm tall. They wrote that they can do it, but

Not sure what this means. I wonder if they mean it won't be as nimble if it's taller, which kinda is the idea. But if it ends up 60mm tall but 5mm thick, I won't be happy since thinness is the most important thing.

I mean, I do appreciate Miho is taking the time to really try and work this out with me, that is nice. I asked him to explain and will see. I think we're making progress :)

I have a denka with those specs - 2.5mm & 55mm tall and I’ll let the choil do the talking. It’s possible.

Attachments

• 7BC0A5F9-2F1F-4A9B-816E-DED59B352ACF.jpeg
    7BC0A5F9-2F1F-4A9B-816E-DED59B352ACF.jpeg
    964.1 KB · Views: 0
My best "TF chronicle" is still this - sorry for there's something quietly gruesome about it:

IMG_9146.jpg
IMG_9147.jpg

I remember... being shocked and frozen to the spot, wowzing onto that piece sticking to the blade, barely registering what I felt was just another nick fairly common while I was trying all sorts of different blades and getting some inkling of what sharp might actually mean after I worked on them... Seeing the all white with red dots area on my left middle finger and realizing... turning back a couple of steps towards the kitchen sink in a daze... turning back again, suddenly grounded into the infatuation that I somehow should take a picture first (yeah, of all important things to do in such situations, comes a point where you think "will be interesting to post on KKF, that..." like second place but with placatory urgency)... and getting back to the blade to take that picture was when the blood finally started pooling, as if cautionary to the stupidity of going back for a shot that, in all causes and abouts of a normal human being should be the very last thing holding one's interest... more probably rushed by me moving a few paces back and fro.

I think the insiduously gruesomeness of it stands of two things:

-Surrealistic juxtaposition to a merely couple onions bits still sticking there, zeroing in onto the intruder that, without the blurry bloody finger above would probably, and still with it quite possibly does elicit a perplex frown trying to identify it's otherwise marginality;

-My eczema conditionned hands that are all redish-pinkish and rubbery-ribbed, yet with that disgusting whitening outline characteristic of drained flesh, looking strangely both alive and dead, and fake altogether, making one almost wonder "was he cutting overfrozen fish and onions at once with a not so sharp knife?", yet this was taken probably 15-20 seconds after the fact, and still looking quite like it would was it still back on my flexed knuckle at the very point and time of severance - so that somehow through the frown you'd instinctively know what it is, bloody blurry finger there betraying the casualty or not, it's appearent fakeness suddenly, realistically offthrowing,

Last edited:
Sort of feeling poetic tonight, and it's getting ungodly late and I'm not sure I should even be awake still... well as a matter of fact, pretty sure I should be sound asleep. Only "sound" these days is coming from an alternate reality room, and "asleep" only ever seems to make sense if it describes what once seemed so magical that has now mostly subsuded into periodic flashes of mere interest.

So... what... I guess I'm sorry most of you will have to live with(out) it, yet I'm strangely flattered and touched that you'd notice.

Yeah, it's a pretty decent price. The thing is, there will be about 30% import fees, that puts me solidly outside the bargain zone.
I'm surprised Germany has such steep fees.
In US for most part no fees esp. Hawaii that has little manufacturing base. We have capability to grow much of our food rich volcanic soil. Japanese turn of 20th century bored water tunnel through Ko'olau mountain range for sugar & pineapple. Sugar is gone.
Some of agriculture land has been rezoned to residential large housing development. Follow the money. One developer who had made a lot of money bought agriculture land
and rented cheap to farmers. Giving back.

Old Hawaiian fish ponds where fresh water from mountains meets salt water from the sea have been restored. We have reduced our oil for energy H power burning trash solar panels, wind mills.

I'll say it lived here since 19 years old, Hawaii in some ways is like a third world country. Trying to build rail system on Oahu is a joke.
Way over budget things don't work. Ran out of money had to cut short the line at middle street. We should have contracted Chinese to build it.

I'm surprised Germany has such steep fees.
In US for most part no fees esp.
Hmm, yeah it's the usual 19% VAT import sales tax that theoretically is imposed on everything you'd import + 8.5% customs fee for importing cutlery. And then some transaction fees and a few bucks for DHL for handling import procedures.
One the one hand, that makes it much less a bargain than it would be - but then. If I can blow 600€ on a denka, I might as well pay 200€ taxes. Some stuff does slip through, though, and people usually aren't too upset if the import fees get forgotten sometimes.

But yes, they can make tall blades that perform fantastic.
Nice, thanks for sharing! I hope the 60mm denka turns out well.

Back