TF Chronicles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, got a special box the other day.:D

214DC75B-B385-4041-AACD-CE6EFC22CC16_1_102_o.jpeg

B64A7994-416B-4038-96D3-EBD29A828491.jpeg

42B1577E-2B83-41D7-8F68-FECC3418F974_1_102_o.jpeg

WOWW! Whats the size on that handle? Is it comfortable?
It's around 97 x 32 x 17 mm (length/height/width) and it's perfectly comfortable for me, yes. Was thinking about different options but I think the standard stubby handles work best for larger cleavers.

lol. i actually thought they came in wooden boxes until now.
Doesn't look like they gave much thought to the boxes.🤣 The same boxes as their soba knives btw.

Frontal choil shot. Sure it's a vegetable cleaver. All that hammer work.
That’s right. Just tried to take a frontal chill shot.0F7EEA3F-DFE2-44DE-B3E2-8C9610F4BE56.jpeg

Last edited:
Got a denka question for the more experienced, as I've never been able to find one in a shop to actually hold for myself:

Typically I prefer wa handles. If I buy a denka, it would be one that's gone through District Cutlery service or similar, where any of the common crooked handle install issues would be fixed. But I've also seen retailers say things like "Fujiwara himself says Western handle is the best choice for his knives" and "the balance on these knives is much better with a Western handle".

Do people find that to be true? I.e. if you knew you were getting a perfectly installed wa handle, would Western still be a better choice for a denka because of balance, or is that just retailers warning people away from buying a knife that may come with a crooked handle without specifically mentioning the issue?

Got a denka question for the more experienced, as I've never been able to find one in a shop to actually hold for myself:

Typically I prefer wa handles. If I buy a denka, it would be one that's gone through District Cutlery service or similar, where any of the common crooked handle install issues would be fixed. But I've also seen retailers say things like "Fujiwara himself says Western handle is the best choice for his knives" and "the balance on these knives is much better with a Western handle".

Do people find that to be true? I.e. if you knew you were getting a perfectly installed wa handle, would Western still be a better choice for a denka because of balance, or is that just retailers warning people away from buying a knife that may come with a crooked handle without specifically mentioning the issue?
Depends on what you like. I can only speak to my wa 210 that I changed the handle on. With the standard ho handle it was quite forward balanced, up at the top kanji. The handle I installed was 25g heavier and that pulled the balance back 2cm to the bottom kanji. I'd have to think that the western handled are more neutral balanced, common among yo handled knives. So, if you prefer distinct forward balance, a light wa handle. If you prefer more neutral, yo or a heavy wa handle. There isn't a better or worse, just personal preference.

Worth noting that the finger notch is more suited to the yo handles, since you don't really need it the way the wa handle is set up.
Hmmm... I beg to differ.

I have the notch in both wa and ho variants. While I'd say that the notch's value is more apparent with a wa handle, it's still quite nice on a ho as well. YMMV.

As with all of Teruyasu Fujiwara's output, the devil is in the detail. Where is the notch located, how big is it in relation to your fingers and have the its edges been rounded?

I'm sure many have seen by now, but TF just upped his prices big time. If/when the Yen comes back and/or the dollar comes down, those 240s are gonna be hella expensive.

New Denka price list
[ Length ][ Weight ][ Price ]
150mm110g59,400 JPY
180mm125g62,700 JPY
195mm140g63,800 JPY
210mm160g77,000 JPY
240mm205g104,500 JPY
270mm250g132,000 JPY
300mm275g165,000 JPY

I'm sure many have seen by now, but TF just upped his prices big time. If/when the Yen comes back and/or the dollar comes down, those 240s are gonna be hella expensive.

New Denka price list
[ Length ][ Weight ][ Price ]
150mm110g59,400 JPY
180mm125g62,700 JPY
195mm140g63,800 JPY
210mm160g77,000 JPY
240mm205g104,500 JPY
270mm250g132,000 JPY
300mm275g165,000 JPY
This makes me kinda sad. I really wanted to try a Denka eventually, but don't really have enough interest at this new price point. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise for my wallet.

Mab old and new, while i'm at it:
Screenshot_20221003_203424_edit_216376722345628.jpg

Screenshot_20221003_203619.jpg

So that makes 25% extra for the 210 and 20% for the 240.
If you ask me, Mabs are the better TF value anyways. Denka is a tad nicer, but not so different all in all.

Argh! I will be in Japan in a few weeks and had planned to stop in and buy a 210mm Denka next month!

Very bad timing - it went up 35% !

That's a lot for a knife that people say will probably need to be fixed up after it's bought...

Argh! I will be in Japan in a few weeks and had planned to stop in and buy a 210mm Denka next month!

That's a lot for a knife that people say will probably need to be fixed up after it's bought...
If it makes you feel any better the new price with the current yen is about what they cost at the old price a year ago when the yen was 35% higher, speaking in terms of USD anyway. And even at the new price it's still less expensive direct than buying from a retailer where they are going for $600-$650 USD.

And buying in person I'd be willing to bet you can pick your way through to the most friendly wabi sabi.

Do you think the prices will drop when the yen strengthens? Exactly, they won't. Total money grab aimed squarely at the International (mainly US) market. Glad I got my fill 5 years ago. I wouldn't be a buyer today.

This thread made me pull the trigger when I did. 612 dollars for 240 Denka. After seeing them for 900.00 + at sellers & on BST. If it needs work (it may not) I'll send it out. I thinned the Mab. But only paid 200.00 for that 240 on BST.

Do you think the prices will drop when the yen strengthens? Exactly, they won't. Total money grab aimed squarely at the International (mainly US) market. Glad I got my fill 5 years ago. I wouldn't be a buyer today.
Completely agree, obviously they sell mostly to international markets, the value that was okay before the last increase (2018 or so?) has become extremely bad for the national market. Even if the f&f would be top notch, it would still be very expensive. Apparently, they have a long list of orders so they figured they could make more money. Good time to sell directly and not through a wholesaler.

There have been very few bad reports about overgrinds etc in recent months here, it seems like quality has improved a lot. Also, if you pick it at the shop directly, you can check it there so you can definitely avoid any issues. Still, it’s a lot of money that could get you a lot more knife with a lot better f&f…:D
Edit: I’ve been reading a lot more positive than negative reports here in recent months, but didn’t assess it systematically so could be wrong.

Last edited:
Completely agree, obviously they sell mostly to international markets, the value that was okay before the last increase (2018 or so?) has become extremely bad for the national market. Apparently, they have a long list of orders so they figured they could make more money. Good time to sell directly and not through a wholesaler.

There have been very few bad reports about overgrinds etc in recent months here, it seems like quality has improved a lot. Also, if you pick it at the shop directly, you can check it there so you can definitely avoid any issues. Still, it’s a lot of money that could get you a lot more knife…:D
Lol I just got mine and I'm not sure I would say that. Haven't tried it but the grind looks pretty wonky to me. TBF it's not an overgrind but I think it will need some work to cut good.

Also I was out of town and I told them not to ship it until I got back (they said they wouldn't) but they did it anyway.

Completely agree, obviously they sell mostly to international markets, the value that was okay before the last increase (2018 or so?) has become extremely bad for the national market. Apparently, they have a long list of orders so they figured they could make more money. Good time to sell directly and not through a wholesaler.

There have been very few bad reports about overgrinds etc in recent months here, it seems like quality has improved a lot. Also, if you pick it at the shop directly, you can check it there so you can definitely avoid any issues. Still, it’s a lot of money that could get you a lot more knife…:D
They WERE improving until some key employees decided to leave at the end of last year. Around that time direct orders and retailers with stock arriving in 2022 have been less than perfect IMHO.

Last edited:
Lol I just got mine and I'm not sure I would say that. Haven't tried it but the grind looks pretty wonky to me. TBF it's not an overgrind but I think it will need some work to cut good.

Also I was out of town and I told them not to ship it until I got back (they said they wouldn't) but they did it anyway.
Update: what made me think it was bad was the left side was significantly more convex (also it was severely convex) and the tip grind was really bad (not ground as high and looked thick from the spine side).

After using it, I can report that general cutting is a bit better than I expected (kind of like Raquin KT) but the tip is as awful as I expected. Needs a ton of force to do the vertical onion cuts. I got halfway through a horizontal cut but stopped for my own safety.

Surprisingly, OOTB edge was very sharp but the bevel shows poor angle control. Needless to say, it will be getting a regrind soon, purely cosmetic of course ;)

Back