• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD TF Maboroshi duo (210mm gyuto, 150mm petty)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alder26

Reaction score
Too many TF's and my 280mm maboroshi gyuto hasn't sold so I'm posting these!

1) Maboroshi gyuto 215x51mm, 194g. Got this one on the forum, it's been sorted out with flattened bevels and a decent amount of thinning. terrific cutter! $315

2) Maboroshi petty, 149mmx31mm, 101g

Bought this brand new and have used it a couple times but not sharpened it. Looks to be a clean grind, with a straight spine (I bought this one specifically cause it looked like a specimen) $185

40$ off if you snag em both! Shipping within CONUS included

Attachments

• tempImageLpj196.png
    tempImageLpj196.png
    14.3 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImage26lLPW.png
    tempImage26lLPW.png
    14.4 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImage6nEwgY.png
    tempImage6nEwgY.png
    11 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageZ8yPJO.png
    tempImageZ8yPJO.png
    14 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImage1C43F7.png
    tempImage1C43F7.png
    14 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageLPKCZI.png
    tempImageLPKCZI.png
    11.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The major conclusion I drew from my extended use of 12 TF’s was that the preferred knife was the Maboroshi Gyuto. It is capable of a great edge which it holds for a satisfactorily long time. It responds well to a strop and sharpens easily … a perfect knife to perfect your sharpening skills. It is significantly cheaper than its more popular Denka brother. Of all the TF’s I used I found the best for my home kitchen was the 195mm (this 215mm is probably just as good) and the 150mm petty.

The Gyuto has had the grind sorted and the petty is good out of the box. Bottom line … these knives are a killer deal and will make the buyer very happy. Don’t let them sit.

I would tend to agree the denka has very nice steel but it is simply a very excellent treatment of aogami super. The maboroshi however, is an example of a singular treatment of shirogami 1. Nothing I have used approaches the extremes of the TF treatment of white #1

I would tend to agree the denka has very nice steel but it is simply a very excellent treatment of aogami super. The maboroshi however, is an example of a singular treatment of shirogami 1. Nothing I have used approaches the extremes of the TF treatment of white #1

… and what may missed along the way is how easily the edge on the Maboroshi can be touched up when the edge starts to dull. 30 seconds on a strop or a couple of minutes on a King 1000 will easily restore the Mabs edge. I've often thought that it’s a perfect knife for a person to develop their sharpening skills. The perfect definition of an everyday user.

Definitely agree with that also. a steel that really does not like to hold a burr. Usually the burr just crumbles off during stropping strokes

Back