TF Mabs 210mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Effectively about the handle, it doesn't matter, and I must admit it can be brought back to shape, minimizing the flaws to unimportant and hard to see except two inches from it.

I find it hard to get enthusiastic about a great blade when it's attached to an ugly, artlessly installed, janky-ass handle. Especially blades at this price point.

Handle are as described in this review however are functional. The blade on the Denka and its performance makes me always enthusiastic to pick these knives. I don't ever notice the poor fit and finish on my Denkas when I use them. From a distance, I think they are beautiful, up close you see the poor craftsmanship on these handles.

It takes a lot of intentionally bad work to make a non-functional handle. I just don't understand why the quality of a handle on a $1000 knife is easily surpassed by the handle on a $75 Tojiro DP (or any other cheap J-knife, really).

Update on my TF Mab. Since I got my Gengetsu haven't been using the TF Mab. at all. Have a heavy blade for avocado seeds etc. Then the small blades we both use. Like small Carter & 180 TF Nashiji that we both like.

The edge was patina so never thought twice about it. When sharpening checked out the Mab. and saw surface rust spots inside the patina. Figured quick fix with King Hyper 1K stone.

Laid blade on stone so to catch top edge of clad line to clean up spots. Found that had a overgrind backside 1cm from heel dip about 2cm long. Worked it a while couldn't hit patina on flat stone. I will fix it tomorrow.

Update on my TF Mab. Since I got my Gengetsu haven't been using the TF Mab. at all. Have a heavy blade for avocado seeds etc. Then the small blades we both use. Like small Carter & 180 TF Nashiji that we both like.

The edge was patina so never thought twice about it. When sharpening checked out the Mab. and saw surface rust spots inside the patina. Figured quick fix with King Hyper 1K stone.

Laid blade on stone so to catch top edge of clad line to clean up spots. Found that had a overgrind backside 1cm from heel dip about 2cm long. Worked it a while couldn't hit patina on flat stone. I will fix it tomorrow.

That's a shame so near the edge. Best of luck!

Sorry for crappy grind shot with my phone. Thinned out the overgrind thinned both sides all along blade.

It came with vertical scratches from grinding wheel. I still need to take out few remaining.
IMG_20201118_081147401.jpg
IMG_20201118_080706987.jpg

Sharpened it finish 4K Gesshin soaker.
Seems to cut little better esp tip that thinned little more. I do like the Wa handle on this knife. The profile with tall heel. The grind works but not special like some other Japan blades.

Thinking about getting a TF Mab, i am able to get one that has been checked over for overgrinds and with a substantial discount ($350USD) was going to clean up the handle myself and make it a little project and a knife that lives at work, but goddamn those handles look rough.

otherwise I will end up getting another ironclad :upsidedownspin:
spend my money elsewhere or plunge?

Thinking about getting a TF Mab, i am able to get one that has been checked over for overgrinds and with a substantial discount ($350USD) was going to clean up the handle myself and make it a little project and a knife that lives at work, but goddamn those handles look rough.

otherwise I will end up getting another ironclad :upsidedownspin:
spend my money elsewhere or plunge?

You don't cut with the handle 👿 Do it.

hehe
Someone on BST will buy it if you don't like it anyway

And 4 I basically gave away... 🤔

this is saying something for TF all the hate can’t account for.

Then again it’s a 600 bucks project knife, I get the hate.

After reading all of the feedback about poor F&F and wonky grinds, I had many reservations, especially for the price tag. Luckily was able to get a very nice Morihei version from a wonderful KKF member in 180mm. I can see how random gaps in the handle can be concerning. But after cutting with it... oh my. I do not understand what specifically about it set it apart from my other knives, but it was really really... really nice. Also it feels much heavier than my scale reads. I had to weigh it several times to make sure I wasnt missing something. Scale reads 158g, but still felt heavier when held side by side with some different knives I have that are 168g, 169g, and 182g.

I previously set a hard limit for myself of $300 for a knife purchase (new or used). I feel like that is going to change very soon.

After reading all of the feedback about poor F&F and wonky grinds, I had many reservations, especially for the price tag. Luckily was able to get a very nice Morihei version from a wonderful KKF member in 180mm. I can see how random gaps in the handle can be concerning. But after cutting with it... oh my. I do not understand what specifically about it set it apart from my other knives, but it was really really... really nice. Also it feels much heavier than my scale reads. I had to weigh it several times to make sure I wasnt missing something. Scale reads 158g, but still felt heavier when held side by side with some different knives I have that are 168g, 169g, and 182g.

I previously set a hard limit for myself of $300 for a knife purchase (new or used). I feel like that is going to change very soon.

Mabs is pretty forward balance for a Yo - so probably even more with a Wa. In both cases might explain your feeling of weight. You should have tried my Shi.Han with the original ho wood and +40mm balance for a 210mm. It basically felt heavier than my Mabs by a fair bit, but still was some 12g less - and for sure, the Mabs felt heavier than any other quality knife I had tried until the Shi.Han, but back then it WAS the heaviest quality knife I had tried.

$600? Is that Aussie or CDN $? 210 Mabs are US$330 direct.

Yep was going with the nicest actual CAD price on a Canadian vendor. I paid mine about 500$ CAD from a Canadian vendor with a deal. Which was close enough to direct for me to bite the bullet, knowing it would be easy to send it back to vendor if it was a dud.

All the more reason to regret selling - it's the only knife I basically lost nothing selling back, but it was stupid to sell so soon, I should have kept it until the Denka, especially since I traded the W#1 that came to replace the Mabs. I'm living by a rule of only one knife for one steel now - this to save my bank account, since it's hard to find a different steel with prices I'm willing to pay once I get down the basic popular carbons and the only couple of SS/PM/Tool steels I'm really down with. My other point being that I steer away of any carbide rich steel.

When I'll get my Denka, it'll probably be direct since I can't see any chance on a Canadian vendor so far to meet the direct price.

Edit: even less scoring a red pakka.

Mabs is pretty forward balance for a Yo - so probably even more with a Wa. In both cases might explain your feeling of weight. You should have tried my Shi.Han with the original ho wood and +40mm balance for a 210mm. It basically felt heavier than my Mabs by a fair bit, but still was some 12g less - and for sure, the Mabs felt heavier than any other quality knife I had tried until the Shi.Han, but back then it WAS the heaviest quality knife I had tried.

That's the weird part. The TF is +0, whereas the other knives range from +10 to +40

So 180mm are neutrals? Yours must surely be a Yo then. Well I guess I should have anticipated it. But then it goes into the poetry of TFs... it feels like one damn hell of a knife, still nimbler than that impression suggests. But IDK. I still can't pinpoint it. I sold mine partly thinking I would quickly nail down what felt so magical about it once it was gone, and in trying heavy/heavier knives a bit all across the board. But I still can't nail it down exactly. It even induced some errors - I just went for sheer length and weight and workhorse grind with the taller Kawamura Y. Tanaka that replaced the Mabs as a W#1... and was plain wrong going so far. It was manageable, but a tad too much knife for me still, and nowhere magical like the Mabs.

Just buy the Mabs if that's what you're aiming for. And since you're US based, I was surprised to see how low priced, even compared to direct, units on Strata were just because they are the Morihei branded ones. If there still is a 210mm left go grab it. Much easier returning it to them if it's plain wrong than you can do buying direct.

So 180mm are neutrals? Yours must surely be a Yo then. Well I guess I should have anticipated it. But then it goes into the poetry of TFs... it feels like one damn hell of a knife, still nimbler than that impression suggests. But IDK. I still can't pinpoint it. I sold mine partly thinking I would quickly nail down what felt so magical about it once it was gone, and in trying heavy/heavier knives a bit all across the board. But I still can't nail it down exactly. It even induced some errors - I just went for sheer length and weight and workhorse grind with the taller Kawamura Y. Tanaka that replaced the Mabs as a W#1... and was plain wrong going so far. It was manageable, but a tad too much knife for me still, and nowhere magical like the Mabs.

Just buy the Mabs if that's what you're aiming for. And since you're US based, I was surprised to see how low priced, even compared to direct, units on Strata were just because they are the Morihei branded ones. If there still is a 210mm left go grab it. Much easier returning it to them if it's plain wrong than you can do buying direct.
Correct, its a yo

Back