TF Nashiji - is it a good representation?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I recently got to try out a 150mm TF nashiji petty. It's the only Teruyasu Fujiwara knife I've tried. I know they're big thing on this forum, and I know many people even like their nashiji line since it's "good value for the money."

Honestly though the edge retention on this thing is really bad. As in it doesn't even last half my shift. While the TF does get sharper, even the house nihonkou SK petty has better edge retention. It doesn't matter if give it a more conservative angle either. It sharpens quickly and takes a beautiful edge, but it just doesn't last. My Gesshin Heiji and Mizuno Tanrenjo 150mm petties just blow the TF out of the water in pretty much every aspect.

Would I have to get a Maboroshi or a Denka to see what all the hype is about? Am I missing something?

Whats your sharpening progression to?

White steel can take a very fine edge, particularly his, but my understanding as a non pro, is that a lot of pros don't like it because it polishes almost too fine for tasks that require bite in a pro environment. In other words its much better suited to a yanagiba than a petty.

When I used to take my nashiji gyuto to a 16 k shapton glass, it got super stupid sharp, but I was back on it after not too long.

Would I have to get a Maboroshi or a Denka to see what all the hype is about? Am I missing something?

TF laminates the steel in house for the Maboroshi and Denka. That process makes those steels unique to TF.
Both are very hard and high performance.
The Nashiji line are forged from pre-laminated steel, so similar stock to what there makers use.

I’ve got a 180 Denka gyuto you can borrow if you want to see if it’s an improvement. I’m in Roslindale now. PM me if you want to pick up, or I could drop it off at some point at your work. Gotta do a Trader Joe’s run at some point, and might pick up some stuff from your store while I’m around there.

Edge retention -- did it microchip?

When I used my tf's (mab and denka) before I sold almost all of them, edge retention could be good. . . if it didn't microchip. I imagine because the nashiji has fewer extra heat - treat processes, it might be less tough. TF is pushing it with the low toughness. I stopped using them because I just didn't like the steel properties enough -- I personally need a bit more toughness. Some might disagree, but I bought quite a few, and while they were kinda fun, well, I like Heiji more. Still brittle, but slightly more tough.

I guess try a maboroshi, it's the most representative of his work.

In my experience microchipping on TF's is only an issue with the factory edge. Look closely and you'll see its very rough due to the course abrasives used for the final finish progression. After a few mins on a high grit Jnat my Nashiji, Mab and Denka edges are super stable. I would not call TF steel, especially his AS even at stupid acute grind angles, brittle at all. Wish I could say the same for other highly regarded makers. My only caveat is that the experience has been acquired in a home kitchen.

Hi folks,

I recently got to try out a 150mm TF nashiji petty. It's the only Teruyasu Fujiwara knife I've tried. I know they're big thing on this forum, and I know many people even like their nashiji line since it's "good value for the money."

Honestly though the edge retention on this thing is really bad. As in it doesn't even last half my shift. While the TF does get sharper, even the house nihonkou SK petty has better edge retention. It doesn't matter if give it a more conservative angle either. It sharpens quickly and takes a beautiful edge, but it just doesn't last. My Gesshin Heiji and Mizuno Tanrenjo 150mm petties just blow the TF out of the water in pretty much every aspect.

Home user here. I’ve tried nashiji, maboroshi and denka. Denka is best retention wise, maboroshi good for white steel, nashiji ok but not great. Missing something… imo, no. In my limited experience with these knives, they’re just too expensive for the quality you get. (Since the grinds and profiles are nothing special, I preferred the nashiji because it was way cheaper than mab and denka). 🥰

Home user here. I’ve tried nashiji, maboroshi and denka. Denka is best retention wise, maboroshi good for white steel, nashiji ok but not great. Missing something… imo, no. In my limited experience with these knives, they’re just too expensive for the quality you get. (Since the grinds and profiles are nothing special, I preferred the nashiji because it was way cheaper than mab and denka). 🥰
The beige option is always safest.👍
There's a lot of personal preference at play here but of all the highend knives I've owned its the TF's ie Denka's, that offer the best profile and steel properties for me. So much so that my collection is TF centric now after undergoing many iterations.

The beige option is always safest.👍
There's a lot of personal preference at play here but of all the highend knives I've owned its the TF's ie Denka's, that offer the best profile and steel properties for me. So much so that my collection is TF centric now after undergoing many iterations.
I think that’s been rather clear for quite some time. I’m glad you found your gems!

I think that’s been rather clear for quite some time.
d1ce0cad327cd18596ba145f56e1f6ba.jpg

Hi folks,

i dont know what you were expecting really. its an overpriced, hyped brand. mostly known for their shoddy workmanship (and thats always a good sign, right).

whites are basically the lowest edge retention steel out of japan. and on top of that its their cheapest line.

surprise surprise i guess.

imo **** white steel. why even??

I've been through a few TF 150mm nashiji petties. (They used to be $60 direct!)
I've never encountered poor edge life. But there has been variability--for example, one held an edge for a bizarrely long time, another was more 'normal'. But these were older versions (all ~5+ years old).
What you describe--holding an edge only as long as SK--isn't the norm from my experience. But maybe the newer versions are different now. Or maybe you got a HT dud? Or maybe White steel knives are doomed with you :)

After tried most reactive carbon steels, I have to said White#1 are my favorite, next up is blue 2, these two steel have the best balance in terms of sharpness/edge retention/ease of sharpening. If I had to get a TF, I’ll only be looking at Maboroshi, I don’t have problems with chipping issues since I’ll just leave the tougher tasks for beaters instead.

Last edited:
i dont know what you were expecting really. its an overpriced, hyped brand. mostly known for their shoddy workmanship (and thats always a good sign, right).

whites are basically the lowest edge retention steel out of japan. and on top of that its their cheapest line.

surprise surprise i guess.

imo **** white steel. why even??
Not my experience at all. W#1 with excellent HT is nothing like W#2 for edge retention. Don't hear too many Jiro owners complaining about plasticine edges either.

However ... complex ... the TF reputation around here seems to be, I do not recall edge retention being mentioned as an issue, so I would make a wild guess that maybe your petty got a poor HT by accident ...

I really love my TF nashiji petty - although I'm no longer a pro, just home cooking these days. I use it to prep whole meals sometimes. I don't see a difference in edge retention when compared to my two maboroshi.

Let me know if you ever want to try my petty to compare the two - I live on beacon in Brookline (and visit your shop from time to time!)

I’ve got a 180 Denka gyuto you can borrow if you want to see if it’s an improvement. I’m in Roslindale now. PM me if you want to pick up, or I could drop it off at some point at your work. Gotta do a Trader Joe’s run at some point, and might pick up some stuff from your store while I’m around there.
I really love my TF nashiji petty - although I'm no longer a pro, just home cooking these days. I use it to prep whole meals sometimes. I don't see a difference in edge retention when compared to my two maboroshi.

Let me know if you ever want to try my petty to compare the two - I live on beacon in Brookline (and visit your shop from time to time!)

Good stuff! 👍

TF has the best edge retention around. I just picked up my Denka petty after not using it for 6 months and it had built up a thick patina 3 months before that, was surprised it cleanly shaved hair off my arm without any discomfort.

That said, it is possible you have one with bad HT. Rare but it could happen to anyone.

Regarding the nashiji, nothing wrong with it, and it indeed is more bang for buck. If it weren’t my preference for western handles, I would have chosen a nashiji over Maboroshi as the difference is minuscule.

But of course if you have the means to, do try a Denka, brand new. It’s a world of difference over Maboroshi and nashiji.

Doesn't almost everything have good edge retention when you don't use it for 6 months straight? ;)
Sure have a go at it. Use a knife daily for 3 months straight, then leave it alone in a hot humid environment where it is susceptible to rust, pitting and degradation and after 6 months, take it out and try some test cuts with it, you’ll be surprised what 80-90% humidity 24/7 can do 🙃

Reactions: ian
Sure have a go at it. Use a knife daily for 3 months straight, then leave it alone in a hot humid environment where it is susceptible to rust, pitting and degradation and after 6 months, take it out and try some test cuts with it, you’ll be surprised what 80-90% humidity 24/7 can do 🙃

Do you oil your knives during storage?

Do you oil your knives during storage?
If I use them daily I don’t. Didn’t think of storing this knife tbh, it was just left sitting in my knife block for the whole 6 months while I was given a whole bunch of other bunch of knives to test out, no oil or vci paper. Maybe a good thick patina does help prevent rusting long term, but I’ve never tested that out 🤷🏻‍♂️

Off topic: among the wh1 knives I’ve tried, I liked Y Tanaka’s way Better than tf mab or nashiji. However, the edge retention on the Tanaka is not as good as on the mab I tried.

I thought the "in-house lamination" had been debunked a while ago on another thread, that both Nash and Mabs were prelaminates nowadays, and only Denka was done in house? Could be wrong.

Both Mabs I own(ed), no problem with edge retention. As good as White #1 can be, I guess. HT as it is here, it could tend to beat regular HT Blue #2 but I lack side to side experience to be sure. In a close comparison, I found 52100 held on to an edge longer than Mabs after losing the initial keenness - probably from the constellation of consistent small carbides it has. Mabs had a bit of a longer life with "full" keenness however, probably from being quite harder. But when it goes dull the degradation to a slippy edge is pretty steep. Then again I finish mine on SP5K, perhaps something could be said of using a stone leaving a bit more bite?

Home user, no micro-chipping noted. I'm not rough though.

Both knives in SK5 I tried, wouldn't say the same for sure.

Back