TF now 20% more expensive

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
his A2 is a bit more reactive than some... i still like it a lot, but its worth noting that it gears a bit more towards reactive than what you might expect (still firmly semi-stainless in my book though)

How does the edge holding compare between his 52100 and A2?

his A2 is a bit more reactive than some... i still like it a lot, but its worth noting that it gears a bit more towards reactive than what you might expect (still firmly semi-stainless in my book though)

I've been using an A2 gyuto for about a year now and it hasn't picked up much patina at all (indeed, because I like patinas, I'd say it's my only negative I have of the knife). I'd consider it very-stain-resistant.

As for the A2 vs. 52100, I can't comment, but I can tell you that the A2 sharpens insanely easily and is very tough. Certainly not the hardest steel, though. I feel very comfortable treating my Shi.Han a little rough, knowing that it can handle it.

no... they are pretty much the same style... he just happens to have a cross-sectional geometry that works well for toughness. I've found the a2 to have slightly better edge retention, but both are nice.

no... they are pretty much the same style... he just happens to have a cross-sectional geometry that works well for toughness. I've found the a2 to have slightly better edge retention, but both are nice.
Choil shots my my a2:
20181120_051642.jpeg
20181120_051621.jpeg
20181120_051603.jpeg

Yup... looks like mine.... the are very thin at the edge, but the mid section gets thicker quickly. I really enjoy how they cut. It’s not a laser for sure, but I think it strikes a good balance in a lot of ways.

In an earlier post, I wrote about my Shi-Han A2's virtually stainless quality. I'm going to retract that a bit. I did all my T-day prep with it yesterday (about 12 hours total kitchen time) and it definitely picked up a patina that's matte grey and faded blue (no rainbow colors like you see on the patina thread, but definitely there). This is the first time I've noticed any substantive discoloration on this knife.

Edge retention was good (it's a softer, tougher steel) and I touched it up on a loaded microfiber strop periodically to great results.

Food release is a 7 or 8 out of 10, with some sticking along the blade road (which is ground pretty high up), and then no sticking at all after the blade road.

The entire experience was great.

In an earlier post, I wrote about my Shi-Han A2's virtually stainless quality. I'm going to retract that a bit. I did all my T-day prep with it yesterday (about 12 hours total kitchen time) and it definitely picked up a patina that's matte grey and faded blue (no rainbow colors like you see on the patina thread, but definitely there).

I bet if you let it develop a stable patina it would be pretty bulletproof from there on in. I have an A2 knife I use on the farm and it deals with water like a champ for a non-stainless blade.

I bet if you let it develop a stable patina it would be pretty bulletproof from there on in. I have an A2 knife I use on the farm and it deals with water like a champ for a non-stainless blade.
That's definitely the plan. Can't wait to see what it looks like by next Thanksgiving.

I’m very happy with my A2 Marko. It has just enough carbon like sharpening ability on the stones. I haven’t had it long enough to see if a real patina will form or not. Also I keep thinning it.

I'm not gonna lie, I check up here for the TF drama (insert popcorn emoji, p.s. what happened to the cool knife emojis and whatnot?)

Is the nashiji line still worth it? Wanted a petty but never got around to ordering. Any better budget alternatives for a 135mm or under stainless-clad or stainless petty?

I'm not gonna lie, I check up here for the TF drama (insert popcorn emoji, p.s. what happened to the cool knife emojis and whatnot?)

Is the nashiji line still worth it? Wanted a petty but never got around to ordering. Any better budget alternatives for a 135mm or under stainless-clad or stainless petty?
Wakui 135mm Petty is a bargain. And they’re likely on sale at epic edge or somewhere else.

Wakui 135mm Petty is a bargain. And they’re likely on sale at epic edge or somewhere else.

Wakui is on my gyuto list though! I think Jon's EN line would make for some great lil petties

Tf nashiji petty is a bargain, but it absolutely needs post work and rehandle.

Even if you opt for the octagonal? What fun is a knife that comes perfect out of the box?!

Even if you opt for the octagonal? What fun is a knife that comes perfect out of the box?!

He's referring to the Yo handle version which on the Nashiji line is 'agricultural' to put it nicely. Nothing wrong with the Wa handle versions but on a petty my personal preference is western handle.

Latest posts

Back