TF or Watanabe?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
late Response, but i Was able to land a 210 Shig Kitaeji from JNS. Since then, got two more Shigs! But not kitaeji, kasumi.

How did you do that, what the F am I doing wrong to miss those on JNS ( or were they from various sources)?
I used to be subscribed to his email notification for Shig and Kato, wich never amounted to anything, now I recently subscribed to his newsletter AND I'm following his site on a daily basis....ZIP

How did you do that, what the F am I doing wrong to miss those on JNS ( or were they from various sources)?
I used to be subscribed to his email notification for Shig and Kato, wich never amounted to anything, now I recently subscribed to his newsletter AND I'm following his site on a daily basis....ZIP

I could have got 3 more Shigs from JNS / but no budget - there were Yanagi’s Deba, and a few other knives I could have pocketed which included Kitaeji - but I would have faced divorce if I dumped that much cash in a month

So it’s absolutely possible

Make sure you follow is IG - that is where he announces things. The secret is IG

The secret is RockyBasel is at the right place at the right time pressing the right buttons and getting lucky.

I follow Maksim's IG too, and indeed he posts quite frequently. Make sure to like his posts so they will come as one of the first in your feed. Quite a mythical figure by now for me, so I was quite surprised he replied to my email message telling him I'm returning the 210 Munetoshi!

The secret is RockyBasel is at the right place at the right time pressing the right buttons and getting lucky.

I have been training the keyboard finger for years now, and developing smart “refresh” strategies😂

I have also found that if I light incense before the shig sale - I tend to succeed more😂😂

it will happen - If I can get 3 shigs in 4 weeks as a novice, anyone can

good thing about maksim - he runs an open market - anyone can obtain it, vs Taking private orders

hmmm, I 'm not into IG and not about to do so. I'll drop him a line to see if he also caters for social media paria's ;-)
Incense I have, will burn some...

hmmm, I 'm not into IG and not about to do so. I'll drop him a line to see if he also caters for social media paria's ;-)
Incense I have, will burn some...
You should reconsider. I don't maintain an active IG presence but it has allowed me to pick up several Katos, Comets and the opportunity to acquire a bunch of other hard-to-find makers.

Finding that rare knife on JNS site is by luck and looking there at all hours of the day. I'm on the West coast of USA and I find the opportunity to catch some of those knives at 2 or 3am most times.

Finding that rare knife on JNS site is by luck and looking there at all hours of the day. I'm on the West coast of USA and I find the opportunity to catch some of those knives at 2 or 3am most times.
Total dedication to the cause. You deserve a medal.

Here's the automated response email I get from TF when sending an inquiry through the website. I'm looking forward to this

1635312702398.png

Last edited:
Just wanna know, does TF do custom order? I wonder if they make 225mm?

Yes they do make customs. But like said before, it gets pretty expensive. I recently bought a 210 mab, actual edge is 215. You could try and email Gaku if they have any oversized 210's in stock.

Yes they do, but it falls on the more expensive side of the 210mm to 240mm price gap.
Yes they do make customs. But like said before, it gets pretty expensive. I recently bought a 210 mab, actual edge is 215. You could try and email Gaku if they have any oversized 210's in stock.

I see because the price of 240 is really expensive and 210 is still considerable Also His 240 is a bit too big. That’s why 225 is the perfect length especially with those tall knife profile. How much roughly the price will be since the 240 is roughly around 55k yen and 210 around 35k yen.
Also hoping it to have a rough Nashiji Kuro Uchi finish.

I see because the price of 240 is really expensive and 210 is still considerable Also His 240 is a bit too big. That’s why 225 is the perfect length especially with those tall knife profile. How much roughly the price will be since the 240 is roughly around 55k yen and 210 around 35k yen.
Also hoping it to have a rough Nashiji Kuro Uchi finish.

Ping at @Corradobrit1, as he is likely to tell you more about it than I can.

In my email exchange with Gaku he told me that custom orders are roughly 2.5 times the price vs. an off the shelf unit. They can do multiple finishes, nashiji as on the Maboroshi line, KU as on the Denka line and I believe they are also doing iron clad.

There is no iron clad. The soft iron has not been available for a long time now.

Back