TF Wabi-Sabi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually take mine classic, but from time to time, with either bacon or chicken added is nice. Adding more than one "special" ingredient sorts of feel too much to my tastes, and often times, even the one extra feels too much.

Iā€™m a huge fan of the populist, gravy-centric food genre. Poutine, open-face turkey sandwich, loco moco, chicken fried steak, etc.

Pork fat is the ultimate uniter.

I am mostly using real lard (not that crap in the green/white boxes) for my stir-frying needs. Except when I use beef fat to do burgers or steaks or fries.

Braised pork belly is an ultimate comfort food. Mangalitsa lard is one of the great luxuries of the world.

Pork is a fraught topic, because most US supermarkets can deliver edible beef and chicken, but the pork is just awful. Injected with water, mostly. No belly to be found. Maybe not even shoulder ("Boston Butt"), which is the second best part of the pig after belly, or third if you can get an amazing ham, like American country ham not from the Smithfield company.

If anyone wants to chime in here with a good source for excellent skin-on pork belly, I'd welcome it. My favorite online pork source only carries skinless belly.

Blind taste tests have shown that pork tastes the best when cut with a Denka. Honyaki fared the worst. Participants in the tests inexplicably gagged when eating those samples.

Check this Butchers website out ... Berryman Brothers Butcheries Victoria BC

Iā€˜m extraordinarily fortunate to have an old time butcher available to me to supply my meat needs ... especially pork. Hereā€™s a pic of a recent pork belly that I did up from their supply. Cost of the pork was $12 CDN as I recall.

00B4665F-1BAE-4F0B-83FD-B207E449FCBF.jpeg

They also happen to make the best smoked bacon it the universe. If that werenā€™t enough they also take their bacon off cuts and grinds them up to this ...

2B1C4FFC-30B3-4A6A-8C40-C7E30846F42E.jpeg

C2E2F060-B2A0-497F-96F8-368DCC322717.jpeg

Whats better than pork belly ... ground up smoked pork belly! Cost for this package was about $8 CDN. This batch became the 8th layer in my Seven Layer Supper. The possible uses are many ... like adding to ground beef for you hamburger mix.

As you can see my pork was properly prepared for maximum flavour by using a TF Mab!

FB1811F0-4A9A-4DC2-A886-38FA02478D05.jpeg

I render pork fat (usually from the back of the animal). Then add a couple of thinly sliced shallots. The crackling/scratchings and crispy shallots make great garnishing in Asian cooking and the oil is absolutely bonkers.

Check this Butchers website out ... Berryman Brothers Butcheries Victoria BC

Iā€˜m extraordinarily fortunate to have an old time butcher available to me to supply my meat needs ... especially pork. Hereā€™s a pic of a recent pork belly that I did up from their supply. Cost of the pork was $12 CDN as I recall.

View attachment 117349

They also happen to make the best smoked bacon it the universe. If that werenā€™t enough they also take their bacon off cuts and grinds them up to this ...

View attachment 117350

View attachment 117351

Whats better than pork belly ... ground up smoked pork belly! Cost for this package was about $8 CDN. This batch became the 8th layer in my Seven Layer Supper. The possible uses are many ... like adding to ground beef for you hamburger mix.

As you can see my pork was properly prepared for maximum flavour by using a TF Mab!
Next time youā€™ll have a pork belly super #1 denka. It comes naturally ni mai.

I mean, i kinda hated my 270mm gyuto, and sold it. Just fit and finish stuff, but it was probably the thinnest behind the edge knife I've bought. Hated the shoulders, would wedge on really tall dense stuff, and nothing was eased. Still cut awesome though, but i like other stuff.

I mean, i kinda hated my 270mm gyuto, and sold it. Just fit and finish stuff, but it was probably the thinnest behind the edge knife I've bought. Hated the shoulders, would wedge on really tall dense stuff, and nothing was eased. Still cut awesome though, but i like other stuff.

Shoulders and wedging is a consistent problem so far with both Mabs gyutos I experienced. First time around I had thinned the Ā« wide bevel Ā» with mild results. This time around I started just over the shoulders and convexed down. First session yielded much more consistent improvement than my former Mabs thinning. Tonight I just completed a second session going over the shoulders again but now rather insisting on the 0-15mm behind the edge. Actual geometry promises good things but obviously it needs testing. And an edge before that.

But the real problem is how low the grinded bevel is. Avg 15mm with both my Mabs Gyutos. Wide bevel knives can have thicker shoulders than a Mabs and still behave a good deal better overall if thin enough behind the edge, and with 20mm+ wide bevel width.

Well... I had the same question in mind. Then I decided, though I know youā€™re too smart to be a TF hater, that you could count as someone rather lukewarm towards them. But I could be mistaken - just a general impression.
Iā€™m delightfully indifferent, and not very smart. #Beigeforlife

I recognize the conditional cutting powers of tf . . . I just hate that the knife costs so much but didn't do what I wanted. Also I didn't understand what I wanted either, or how each part of the knife functions for certain things. The 270 probably performed better than smaller knives . . . more room to grind thin, and more height before food hits the wide bevel shoulders.

Denka shipped to me today. I can't comment personally on the blade yet, but ordering from TF directly was a pleasure. I need to plan a massive prep-off in a week or so to put it through it's paces alongside other cutty-cutty stabby-stabby things.

My Denka as Corradobrit1 pointed out to me was old stock, so probably the worse case scenario, but a word of warning, it hard to see how bad the overgrinds are till you put them on the stones, once I started there was no going back.

Ok cool. To be fair, my usual procedure with any new blade is to test it once out of the box, then, when I am inevitably disappointed, to head straight for the stones.

My Denka as Corradobrit1 pointed out to me was old stock, so probably the worse case scenario, but a word of warning, it hard to see how bad the overgrinds are till you put them on the stones, once I started there was no going back.
Same happened to my Tojiro 300mm Yanagiba(first time ever to experienced low spots), I noticed thereā€™s 3 low spots after the first sharpening, some knives cuts better after the sharpening, some knives gets worse after the sharpening, you never know until you sharpened it.

I think the 'je ne sais quoi' of TF Wabi-Sabi has to be experienced and valued -or not- by each individual, I assume it's much like how the Shig Santoku feels like an extension of my hand whereas the Tosa (forgot the maker) Gyoto in AS feels as much without any life as the previous Global I had in high regard. All three mentioned 'will cut' but the feel is distinctly different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back