TF Wabi-Sabi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[
Nope. Three Mabs so far.

I think you may have got my last sentence as talking about TF, while I was merely talking about the owner of the post I was reflecting upon in the first place. I never said anything about Denkas being overpriced, and never confounded any of TF knives with bang for bucks knives. For me, whatever extra work a TF carries is something I tend to do with any knife anyhow. But none any knife feels like a TF yo.

My gyuto lineup as it stands now is a reflection of knives I've found to feel like no other while suiting me naturally to a "T": Shi.Han 52100, Mabs, Kono HD2 in 210mm + Tanaka Yohei B#1 in 240mm. Don't think anyone would find much to say against any of the four or dislike owning them, but perhaps the Mabs since we're here... I was actually sorely missing mine, is why I now have another one.
That’s a solid set you have! I have a ShiHan petty, very well made, how you getting on with the gyuto? Yeah, think I responded to one element of your comment, but carried on encapsulating some other peoples within—think I got mixed up, so not entirely aimed at you.

Last edited:
Thread inspired me to bring the denka out. Pork belly simmered in Belgian cidre, garlic, fennel seeds.
F7FDB03F-52AE-4561-ABA1-7000FB932E81.jpeg

A88B7B95-3F31-455A-896A-DC76947AD5E0.jpeg

I don’t owned TF but from what I’ve read in the past most TF keepers are those who knows what they doing with knives, those who went through the thinning and polishing process themselves, the results as been a great cutter/performer as we expected from a great heat treated knifes.

Most of the ones reselling those TFs are the ones complaining about the F&F, inconsistent grinds.

Last edited:
Cheers! My mom cringes at the amount of pork fat I consume. But man, slow cooked pork belly is major comfort food on cold nights.

There's about 115 calories in a tbl of pork lard, give or take. A quart of lard is approximately 7,360. There's a reason humans have always eaten animals, the calorie ratio is off the charts compared to vegetable/agricultural products. Makes survival much easier, not that its particularly relevant in this day and age.

Nothing to add to the TF convo, sadly. Heard it all before, likely will hear it all again.

There's about 115 calories in a tbl of pork lard, give or take. A quart of lard is approximately 7,360. There's a reason humans have always eaten animals, the calorie ratio is off the charts compared to vegetable/agricultural products. Makes survival much easier, not that its particularly relevant in this day and age.

Nothing to add to the TF convo, sadly. Heard it all before, likely will hear it all again.

To be fair, a gram of fat is about 9 kcal no matter what - it doesn't matter what the fat comes from.

But rendered animal product definitely yields easy fat. And pork fat tastes goooooooood - just ask Emeril.

I don’t owned TF but from what I’ve read in the past most TF keepers are those who knows what they doing with knives, those who went through the thinning and polishing process themselves, the results as been a great cutter/performer as we expected from a great heat treated knifes.

Most of the ones reselling those TFs are the ones complaining about the F&F, inconsistent grinds.
Not really ... i sold 3 TF's with no issues. They just weren't worth it for me.

Peoples favourite knives are always going to be the ones they work on. Because the act of working on it brings it closer to what you are looking for as a user. And working on it makes you have to observe it more, handle it more, and then feel more confortable. so when you prep ... it still has that level of confort.

By having TF be poor F&F people expect to put some work into it ... making the above process happen. making them "Fall in love" easier. than say a Honyaki that they are scared to touch because the polish is difficult to achieve.

My grand parents were pretty trim, ate pork belly often—of course they ran a country store, worked their asses off on the little farm out back, burn a hellaluv a lot more calories than I do sitting in front of the computer. Think their portioning was different too, smaller portions of meat than I eat.

My grand parents were pretty trim, ate pork belly often—of course they ran a country store, worked their asses off on the little farm out back, burn a hellaluv a lot more calories than I do sitting in front of the computer. Think their portioning was different too, smaller portions of meat than I eat.

Yeah, I eat a lot of pork belly, so no judgment. If what goes in is replacing energy going out, it makes sense. When I was a full-time farmer, I devoured all the food in my house like no ones business.

Yeah, I eat a lot of pork belly, so no judgment. If what goes in is replacing energy going out, it makes sense. When I was a full-time farmer, I devoured all the food in my house like no ones business.

I hear ya. Problems arise in white collar/car cultures where people consume the same amount as they did doing physical work. I'm pretty active, also good genes when it comes to pork consumption.

Over here you'd go to a specialized poutine restaurant and ask for the one with pork belly... or bacon, or whatever rocks your socks. Now that's some unwieldy amount of all kinds of fats... always a mouthful away from cardiac arrest, never a mouthful away from nibbling into your girlfriend's unfinished one afterwards.

Over here you'd go to a specialized poutine restaurant and ask for the one with pork belly... or bacon, or whatever rocks your socks. Now that's some unwieldy amount of all kinds of fats... always a mouthful away from cardiac arrest, never a mouthful away from nibbling into your girlfriend's unfinished one afterwards.

I occasionally clog my arteries and such with a visit to a poutine restaurant. Thankfully we and you have good socialized medicine. 🤣🤣🤣

There're a few place around serving up 'Beyond Meat' poutine. I kinda feel "what's the point"!!!???

There're a few place around serving up 'Beyond Meat' poutine. I kinda feel "what's the point"!!!???

I usually take mine classic, but from time to time, with either bacon or chicken added is nice. Adding more than one "special" ingredient sorts of feel too much to my tastes, and often times, even the one extra feels too much.

Back