Thai Black pepper

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got back from a couple of weeks in Thailand. First out of the country trip in almost 3 years! One of my goals was to find Cambodian black pepper in Bangkok. Seemed like a reasonable thing given they are next door to each other. No luck. Many of the spice shops seem to be still shut down for reasons related to covid. I did come home with a kilo and half of Thai grown black pepper corns. They smell great but I haven't used any yet. Anyone have experience with the Thai variety>

I like it. Vietnam has some great black pepper as well. While I really like a great black pepper, I dont know if I can really discern the difference between the Kampot black pepper from Cambodia, and those grown in very near neighboring areas. That said, the black pepper from that part of the world, is wonderfully pungent and peppery. I always pick up a few bags when I am in the region.

I indulge in pepper...and have a few too many in house not travelling that frequently to the regions where peppers grow I source them from this place; Depeperwinkel
Pretty sure there should be a comparable shop closer to you, depending on what region you're from.

Especially the Andilaman (think Sichuan pepper) and the black Banasura, black Kampot and the black Bucay are my favorites, for white pepper the Sarawak.

Latest posts

Back