Thai knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a five course Thai dinner cooked for me Friday. I would like to get him a traditional Thai knife or cleaver. Something that would be used in a home kitchen.
Anyone out there can provide guidance.
Thanks in advance

Just a thought: I might check if giving a knife is culturally appropriate. A lot of Thais are ethnically chinese and carry some of their superstitions. Knives are generally speaking a -bad- or at least inauspicious gift, certainly not something you could give with good intent to a recipient who you didn’t know was okay with it.

Thanks and i will follow your advice. Superstition here too. Always give a penny with the knife the penny is immediately returned so you do not cut the friendship.
Looks like a couple of pounds of home made bacon will do it.
Thanks again

The vast majority of Thai's use Kiwi or Kom Kom brands. Kom Kom is the higher priced version of Kiwi made by the same company. I like Penguin brand a little better. Its kind a pro food service brand there. There are other small companies but they are hard to find in the US. I like the ones from Aranyik that are sometimes available on the bay.

Just a thought: I might check if giving a knife is culturally appropriate. A lot of Thais are ethnically chinese and carry some of their superstitions. Knives are generally speaking a -bad- or at least inauspicious gift, certainly not something you could give with good intent to a recipient who you didn’t know was okay with it.
Superstitions are made to be broken. Nothing worse than a superstition to cloud the actions of an otherwise intelligent person (yes, my wife has superstitions)

Shibazi makes a Thai style cleaver for like sub $40. Its kinda a small cleaver with a bunka tip.

Italians are the same. Giving knives is considered bad luck. But if recipient 'pays' its all good. 5c would suffice.......superstitions eh?

Eh, some of us Italians are not like that... The only thing you have to fear is someone from another 'family' sticking one in your back :D

My wife has two friggin' masters degrees, and sets all common sense aside when it comes to some of the superstitions she was raised with (bad luck to whistle in the house, etc.) . I am sure many of the superstitions were started by overwhelmed parents who made up stories to keep their kids in line, and they gained traction. We went to the zoo a week or so back, and my wife refused to go into the reptile house with my son and I because she had a dream the night before that had a snake in it. She believes weird dream BS, and refuses to think any of her bad dreams are due to sleeping poorly.

48C601A6-39A2-4A63-A446-30DF20D7AF9D.jpeg

The last time I was in a Bangkok wet market I watched the butchers in every stall sharpen these knives on the back side of a stainless steel skillet. I'm guess those knives are a little on the soft side but maybe skillets are harder than I think.

Lived in Thailand 2 years. Kiwi is the way to go. They are awful little knives that turn Thai veggies to confetti in just the right way. Nothing makes Som Tam papaya shreds as well.

Thai steel is pretty soft, but also makes it easier to maintain with available tools.

Not sure about the gift giving aspect.

Back