Thanksgiving Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thus far, I have used my Harner parer to assemble apple pie filling, my Halcyon Forge petty to break down the butter and shortening for the crust, my Xerxes gyuto to cube sweet potatoes for a second pie, my Marko to dice onions, and my Haburn to prep butternut squash for soup. What knives are you thankfully employing for your holiday meals?

Thus far, I have used my Harner parer to assemble apple pie filling, my Halcyon Forge petty to break down the butter and shortening for the crust, my Xerxes gyuto to cube sweet potatoes for a second pie, my Marko to dice onions, and my Haburn to prep butternut squash for soup. What knives are you thankfully employing for your holiday meals?
Pics, or it didn't happen 🤣🤣

You take you entire collection out for 3-4 dishes? Max I take out is a gyuto and a petty…

PXL_20221124_210355166.jpg

HVB and MM - veg prep for stuffing and shaved brussels sprouts.
CCK - more veg prep for gravy
Prendergast - mincing garlic and herbs
Cheapo boning knife - spatchcocking turkey (along with shears)

Oh and I think I used my FKM to slice an orange for cranberry sauce.

No pics cuz too full:
Kanehide honesuki to split a couple chickens for extra food
(Turkey is whole)
Toyama nakiri to slice broccoli for roasting
Wifey Sukenari zdp santoku to cut Brussels sprouts and stuff
Sukenari hap40 gyuto to cut croutons for stuffing (scratch bread). Was grateful for the ebony handle when the knife fell handle first to the floor.
Anmon suji to slice turkey. Got some blue patina out of it

Last edited:
You take you entire collection out for 3-4 dishes? Max I take out is a gyuto and a petty…
Who said anything about “entire collection?” :cool:

I later used a Tilman Leder to break down onions for stuffing, a Lisch for the bread, a BB parer for the apples in my cranberry crumble, and an HHH petty suji for slicing the turkey.

So what knives do use for leftovers? :laughingchef:

I didn't use much of anything except my trusty Kanehide 240. My team was making family sized sides anyway so I just bought them from myself. But I got asked to carve the turkey at a couple different festivities and decided I needed something special to have for the next time that happens. I have a yanagiba and couple of beautiful Ashi Ginga sujihikis. But they aren't really right for boning and slicing a big bird. I could use a gyuto. But seems a little crude to me. I have a nice selection of old American carbon butcher knives, but nothing with the right profile and length. I could get a garasuki or a custom made but I don't really want to commit a significant amount of the knife budget to a knife I use a few times a year at best. So I decided to to hop on ebay and see if I could find a project knife to work on for next year's holidays. And the old gal never disappoints. It's not in my hands yet. But here's one of the eBay photos. The Thanksgiving knife for next year. $25.

Screenshot_20221126-085651.png

We don't really do thanksgiving here, but for christmas dinners and other situations where I bring my own knife I actually gravitate towards the more mundane stuff. My Carbonexts, a cheap Fujiwara sujihiki, my Mora filleting knife. All stuff that's perfectly functional, but won't break the bank if it gets damaged, lost, forgotten in a sink, is left wet, or ends up flying through a car in a car crash. Everytime I brought something mroe expensive I found that any increased anxiety from 'I hope my fancy knife doesn't get wrecked' far offset any potential gains I could have from having a better performing knife.

Argggggggghhhh.

SIL offered to to do Thanksgiving this year. So all I needed to bring was mashed potatoes and my wife made a couple pies. Easy Peasey. Or so I thought...

I set out my dish and then I hear her say "Swarfrat, you should carve the turkey." Uh, with what? and she shows me the "carving set." :oops:

It's the sort of shiny German knife and fork set they sell to yuppies in the chic end of town. It would have probably been fine if it was sharper than say, a baseball bat.

I asked if there was steel of something to go with it and she hands me one of those carbide V-notch thingys used to destroy knives. Couldn't bring myself to use it, even though it probably would have left a sawtooth edge that would've worked better than the way it was.

I was crying inside, but I somehow managed to bash the turkey into pieces with that sad blade. At least I got to do it off to the side with nobody paying attention instead of doing the whole carve the bird at the table show.

Kids, never go the in-laws' without whetstones.

Argggggggghhhh.

SIL offered to to do Thanksgiving this year. So all I needed to bring was mashed potatoes and my wife made a couple pies. Easy Peasey. Or so I thought...

I set out my dish and then I hear her say "Swarfrat, you should carve the turkey." Uh, with what? and she shows me the "carving set." :oops:

It's the sort of shiny German knife and fork set they sell to yuppies in the chic end of town. It would have probably been fine if it was sharper than say, a baseball bat.

I asked if there was steel of something to go with it and she hands me one of those carbide V-notch thingys used to destroy knives. Couldn't bring myself to use it, even though it probably would have left a sawtooth edge that would've worked better than the way it was.

I was crying inside, but I somehow managed to bash the turkey into pieces with that sad blade. At least I got to do it off to the side with nobody paying attention instead of doing the whole carve the bird at the table show.

Kids, never go the in-laws' without whetstones.
There's always the sidewalk and then refine on the bottom of a coffee cup 🤷‍♂️

Absolute last of leftovers end piece of turkey breast. Knives I used Thanksgiving Gengetsu for most cutting, carbon paring knife, stainless forschner boning knife, 1890's stag handle carving knife. Since it's a slicer it's all I need to make last turkey sandwich.

Dave's bread, sweet Maui onion, extra sharp cheddar cheese, lettuce & tomato. Turkey.
IMG_20221128_114804499.jpg
IMG_20221128_115323857.jpg

I don't even own a suji slicer old thin carbon
my slicer.

Late to the party.

Only in charge of sides this year, so only a couple knives. Cooked two types of stuffing, mashed potatoes and Brussels Sprouts.

240 Heiji Suji new to me courtesy of @GorillaGrunt and a Dojo parer.

D45E3ADA-26AA-405B-A0D7-F25FDFCF1BCD.jpeg

Back