The 5000th stone recommendation thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got finished reading all the posts in the threads about the JKI stones that @sansho linked and I think I'm probably going to go that route (plus the SG500 because, well because šŸ˜ƒ). Thanks again for the recco too @Barmoley. They sound pretty amazing and Jon seems great.

nice. i think we will both enjoy them. i've only heard good things about them:

Absolutely ā€¦ I recommend them. They out perform every other stone (which is about 20) that I own. I sharpen regularly for others and really bought them because I was getting increasing numbers of ZDP189 blades and my existing stones were too slow. The diamond stones are much better. The 1k stone raises a burr quickly and the 6K stone refines the edge while still leaving a nice tooth. I normally strop after sharpening but it really isnā€™t required after using the 6K stone. FWIW I bought them on the recommendation of marc4pt0. He swears by them.

Last edited:
i'm excited for a reality where i basically don't have to flatten my stones. looking forward to putting an edge on my new myojin on monday when the jki diamond stones arrive..
Try them out on softer stainless also. Work wonders with them.

i'm excited for a reality where i basically don't have to flatten my stones. looking forward to putting an edge on my new myojin on monday when the jki diamond stones arrive..
Would love to hear your thoughts after use. Thanks again.

if you gonna pick up some glass get the 3k and 4k imo. and possibly the 6 or 8k too. not gonna regret this.

only thing you gonna regret is not getting all of these sooner.

if you gonna pick up some glass get the 3k and 4k imo. and possibly the 6 or 8k too. not gonna regret this.

only thing you gonna regret is not getting all of these sooner.
Thanks @inferno - I got the SG500 and 2000 yesterday, you still suggest the 3k, 4K, and others in addition to the JKI diamond stones that arrive on Monday? I love the SGs so far versus the DMT and Norton water stones I was using before, so if you can explain why you recommend the whole shebang, Iā€™d love to pick them up during the MTC sale. Cheers.

Thanks @inferno - I got the SG500 and 2000 yesterday, you still suggest the 3k, 4K, and others in addition to the JKI diamond stones that arrive on Monday? I love the SGs so far versus the DMT and Norton water stones I was using before, so if you can explain why you recommend the whole shebang, Iā€™d love to pick them up during the MTC sale. Cheers.

i can tell you why i think the different glass stones are worth having yes!

i think the glass 2k is good for crap german soft stainless. upper level for these.

the 3k is good as an upper level for good ingot produced stainless. like vg10. its all that steel can handle.

the 4k is good powder stainless like srs15 and r2. etc. i feel this is pretty much their maximum. where it makes sense to take these steels to.

6 and 8k this is for carbon steels. white/blue/hard 1095/hard o1 etc.

----------------

the 3k is good for getting something really sharp very fast, very little clogging. "very sharp" result.
the 4k takes stuff into the "scary sharp" territory! no ****. and you give up clogging (clogs more) and the stone is slower.

----------

its like having a car: this can only have 33% more horsepower! why should i get it?

yeah thats a good question. when we all "technically" can get by with just 57 horsepower in our mazdas.

i can tell you why i think the different glass stones are worth having yes!

Thanks! Dammit. Now I want them all. I already have the 2K for the Wusthofs (assuming thatā€™s what you mean by crap German). Most of my good stuff is white 2, AS, or 1095, so 6/8K might be worth a look. But Iā€™d still love to know the benefits of these in addition to the JKI 1K+6K diamonds.

probably none, in the high grits. like 6-8k
I really appreciate the insights. Iā€™m going to play with what I have for a while, as Iā€™m already getting into gear that exceeds my skill and knowledge. But I am filing this away for the future. These SG stones are really nice. Thanks again!

Seems like most people at least like the SG even if they have a different favorite. Yesterday, I ordered the 500,1k, and 4k with the heavy stone holder. After reading this today, I might order more, but not sure.

I've been using the Yoshihiro set of 1k, 3k, and 8k. I have diamond flattening plate from JKI that I have used quite a bit on those. The 1k loads quickly to me and is a pain with that, but it works well for sharpening and feels pretty good as I'm using it. It's especially good after I flatten it. The 3k has a different feel/feedback, and I don't like, so little use. The 8k works pretty well for putting a good edge on my ginsan, but sticks easily and needs lots of water no matter how much I soak them. I have a Shapton S&G 220 that I used to fix a VG10 knife that was chipped, and I thought it worked pretty well.

Considering ordering a couple more from MTC Kitchen while the sale is still on.

Considering ordering a couple more from MTC Kitchen while the sale is still on.

I just got back from MTC.

Good sale + nice day for a ride on a vintage Honda + poor impulse control. I now have the 220, 500DT, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000. They are so fast compared to what I was using previously. Also I reckon my DMT diamond plates are pretty worn out and after experiencing S&G I don't think I can go back to soakers.

I still have the JKI diamond 1K & 6K arriving Monday. I think I'm good for a while! Now I just need to find some dull knives. šŸ˜‚

those BBBs are probably nice but hard to buy and significantly more expensive

for my infrequent use, i think i'll be happy with the jki diamonds. which i received btw! just haven't had time to try them yet :(

those BBBs are probably nice but hard to buy and significantly more expensive

for my infrequent use, i think i'll be happy with the jki diamonds. which i received btw! just haven't had time to try them yet :(

The triple Bs look great, but between six SGs and the JKIs I think I'm certainly set for a while.

I'd never thinned a knife before, but I just had a go on a $100 Kohetsu (known by many names, see a previous post if interested) and it got ridiculously sharp very quickly. I was too lazy to make it pretty but it's as sharp as my Watanabe nakiri was OOTB. Happy camper.

Looking forward to your JKI review.

I just got back from MTC.

the 220, 500DT, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000.

these stones are gonna kick some serious ass. i can tell you that.

one thing you should know. all glass stones comes with some kind of oil layer on them from the factory.
so water will just ball up and not sink in.

so you need to rub 2 stones together. maybe the 220 and the 500.
the 1k and the 2k etc. to remove this coating. then they start working as they should.

i mean this is what you have to do with all new stones from all brands. remove the factory coating.

these stones are gonna kick some serious ass. i can tell you that.

one thing you should know. all glass stones comes with some kind of oil layer on them from the factory.

so you need to rub 2 stones together. maybe the 220 and the 500.
the 1k and the 2k etc. to remove this coating. then they start working as they should.

i mean this is what you have to do with all new stones from all brands. remove the factory coating.
Definitely need to get off that top layer. It's almost waxy like. Water beads instead of flowing across the stone.

Thanks @inferno and @M1k3. I did notice the water beading but just rubbed the water into the stones with my hand which seemed to help. Iā€™m assuming that after sharpening a few knives I have removed any coating.

I love them, they are so fast and I love the feel compared to my previous setup. I see why they are so well regarded. Thanks for the extra nudge @inferno!

Thanks @inferno and @M1k3. I did notice the water beading but just rubbed the water into the stones with my hand which seemed to help. Iā€™m assuming that after sharpening a few knives I have removed any coating.

I love them, they are so fast and I love the feel compared to my previous setup. I see why they are so well regarded. Thanks for the extra nudge @inferno!

I didn't prep any of my SG stones and they are doing fine. :)

Atoma 140 makes SG stones neat in a few strokes. It's no oil or lacquer, it's just a surface thing with these - guess it comes from firing + the particular bonding... edit: and then air and no water sorts of glaze them.

As a matter of pure trivia, Nanohone 200 behaved almost the same as SG500 with water beading. It's just so much coarser/porous it didn't pop out so much.

Edit: and as a add-on SP stones of all grits do pretty much the same - in a much tamer fashion. It's probably more of a ceramic stones thing, but the bonding difference plays a role for sure.

Last edited:
@Greenbriel Have you used the SG8000 yet? If so, are you glad you bought it? I'm thinking about a SG3k for sure, but not sure what else. Thinking about one of the higher non-glass stones. I won't have my SG 500, 1k, and 4k until after the sale ends, so trying to decide. My Yoshihiro 8k actually makes a pretty good edge and polish, but I haven't used anything else to compare it to.

@Greenbriel Have you used the SG8000 yet? If so, are you glad you bought it? I'm thinking about a SG3k for sure, but not sure what else. Thinking about one of the higher non-glass stones. I won't have my SG 500, 1k, and 4k until after the sale ends, so trying to decide. My Yoshihiro 8k actually makes a pretty good edge and polish, but I haven't used anything else to compare it to.

I have used it and I like it. With stropping it gets things ā€œstanding receipt slicingā€ sharp. Maybe the 4k could too, havenā€™t tested that. The only thing I have to compare it to is a Norton combo 4k/8k and the feedback and speed are significantly better on the SG.

Try them out on softer stainless also. Work wonders with them.
I'm doing something wrong. I dulled a Wusthof and put it on the JKI 1K until burrs etc. and then the 8K. Couldn't get it sharp. Took it to the SGs and sharp in minutes. I'll try again soon. Obviously pilot error, but any tips/quirks working with these stones?

I'm doing something wrong. I dulled a Wusthof and put it on the JKI 1K until burrs etc. and then the 8K. Couldn't get it sharp. Took it to the SGs and sharp in minutes. I'll try again soon. Obviously pilot error, but any tips/quirks working with these stones?
I haven't done anything differently with them. I create burr on one side. Flip and create burr on other side. Flip and do edge leading strokes and listen to the burr crunch. Then flip and repeat. Followed by a few more edge leading passes, flipping sides each pass.

I haven't done anything differently with them. I create burr on one side. Flip and create burr on other side. Flip and do edge leading strokes and listen to the burr crunch. Then flip and repeat. Followed by a few more edge leading passes, flipping sides each pass.
Thanks @M1k3, Iā€˜m sure Iā€™ll figure it out, I know itā€™s not the stones. Apart from only using edge trailing these days, my method is the same as yours. I wonder if I dulled the knife too much and just got impatient. Entirely possible.

How often do you use the naguras? And is it preferable to have a slurry on them?

Thanks @M1k3, Iā€˜m sure Iā€™ll figure it out, I know itā€™s not the stones. Apart from only using edge trailing these days, my method is the same as yours. I wonder if I dulled the knife too much and just got impatient. Entirely possible.

How often do you use the naguras? And is it preferable to have a slurry on them?
That's a possibility. Hard to diagnose over the internet.

I don't use them that often. Just once I notice a lot of swarf stuck in the surface of the stone and the speed slows down.

Back