The 'Best' Gyuto Edge Length—225mm of course!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Go-To Gyuto Edge Length?

• 270mm or longer

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • 240mm

Votes: 61 36.1%
  • 225mm

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • 210mm

Votes: 22 13.0%
  • 180 or shorter

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
I don't have any 225s, but I think that's probably the sweet spot for me as well. I end up using 210s most of the time at home but break out the 240s when doing more prep and the 270es for big cabbages, melons, roasts, and whatever. 210s are fine in most situations, but there are definitely times when just a touch more length would feel more comfortable. Like many here, I'm not super particular about measurements on knives but I will say that my one 8" blade (a ZKramer) feels noticeably shorter than I prefer. So I do think an extra 10mm of length here or there can make a difference.
Nice, we wanna see that 300mm Takeda

I missed this thread somehow. But the best length for a gyuto is 254mm. AKA 10 inches. That would be my vote.

View attachment 151981
Hmmm, I’ve never tried a gyuto with around 254mm. Why is it an optimum length for you?
I don’t have any gyutos with edges between 248–275. Might need to track one down, since I have 225s sorted.

Hmmm, I’ve never tried a gyuto with around 254mm. Why is it an optimum length for you?
I don’t have any gyutos with edges between 248–275. Might need to track one down, since I have 225s sorted.
Mainly just what I'm used to. My first knife in culinary school was a 10" Victorinox. All of the knives I used at my first couple jobs were restaurant supply 10". 240 is fine but feels a little short. 270 is fine but feels a little long (although the way I treat my knives I tend to buy 270s and after a few years they shrink into my preferred size of 255). And I still like vintage 10" French, German, and American knives obviously.

Heel height - now that is another / completely different (= actually the same) argument ... FWIW - Ditmas after seeing the food you produce I can only just agree with you anyway ...
Seems like I’m seeing more tall heel heights lately, like 55–58mm for 220–240s? I’m generally more comfy with 50–53.

What about 6 feet tall and a lot of volume?
Asking for a friend.

Thanks. But I can ask for myself :cool:

For me it's task dependent. At work, 240ish, I've had two made to 250 that were bout perfect. 270 if the pile is high and I have prep space. At home I can use a 210 or 240 but the 225 (Devin ITK) is my favorite. Looking at a 225 Marko Workhorse with lust in my eyes....

Best edge length is 215mm. :p

IMG_0734.jpg

Left to right: Maz W#2 (216/50) (blade and handle refinished); Sukenari AS (216/48), Wakui A#2 (215/48), Mabs (214/51) (blade refinished)

One could say I ordered them (left to right) in function of length, or one could say I ordered them in function of narrowest to nosiest tip. :D

Then I love 190mm...

And only then 225mm when I need it...

Just to stir things up.

I'd say 255-265 is about perfect for a general use chef's knife. There's just something about the balance and leverage that I prefer. I am a home cook, but I'm often cooking for more than four people at a time. With bigger prep jobs, I tend to reach for a 270. If it's just me, or two or three people, I'll grab a 230-240 Gyuto, or a 210 Petty, Santoku, Bunka, whatever. I also think height measurements are more important than most people here seem to. Small differences in height make a big difference in how maneuverable a knife feels. A 240 KS feels like a long petty knife to me.

I had no problem with my 270 Misono Dragon in a small Prospect Lefferts kitchen -- but it does depend on layout almost as much as size.

240-250 mm gyuto / kiritsuke for me, with this size I can have nice pull-slice and enough to cut through watermelon or any big/hard fruit/vegetable, but it's not too long to be uncontrollable in the tip work

Nice! I really want a 240 Takeda k-tip (or cleaver) with a big flat spot. I don't think he makes them though. Maybe ordering direct and making a special request?

My smallest and longest gyutos—180 Takamura, and 270 Watanabe, iron clad (…more like 275).
Almost never use the Takamura, too short, can’t seem to feel comfy with it, useless for my needs; the Wat occasionally comes out for coleslaw, big greens, and cutting Apple Tarte at supper parties.
502627F7-4B36-49EB-A9AB-58030056E375.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you use a bunka or a nakiri? For me, that Takamura would be like a petty with a little extra heel height for work on the board. I have a 180 Yoshi that fills that role, and I like it.

Do you use a bunka or a nakiri? For me, that Takamura would be like a petty with a little extra heel height for work on the board. I have a 180 Yoshi that fills that role, and I like it.

I have a nakiri, never wanted a bunka.

I won that 180 Takamura at an MTC raffle, think I'm gonna give it to my wife. My typical setup is a petty/gyuto tandem, the 180 gyuto size is just too in between what I like. Sometimes I'll use a 180 Maz petty.

I have a nakiri, never wanted a bunka.

I won that 180 Takamura at an MTC raffle, think I'm gonna give it to my wife. My typical setup is a petty/gyuto tandem, the 180 gyuto size is just too in between what I like. Sometimes I'll use a 180 Maz petty.

I've never really been able to find a use for a 150mm petty. They're too big for in-hand work, and not big enough for the board. I use 210 suji/petties all the time and find a nakiri or bunka handy for the odd job. The pointy tip of a bunka gets in the way of pull cuts, but it's handy to have around for odd jobs.

I've never really been able to find a use for a 150mm petty. They're too big for in-hand work, and not big enough for the board. I use 210 suji/petties all the time and find a nakiri or bunka handy for the odd job. The pointy tip of a bunka gets in the way of pull cuts, but it's handy to have around for odd jobs.
I hear ya. Thankfully they make a good range of pettys to fit personal preference. I had a 135 Wakui petty, didn’t jive with the length, so gave it away (too lazy to sell it). Lot of it is familiarity, been using 150 pettys for about two decades—it’s my comfort zone. There’s my Sab parer if needing something smaller—I rarely have a need for in-hand work.

I have a Fukushima-san 180mm gyuto that I tend to use more like a large paring knife for doing things like trimming cauliflower. Other than that I move to a 240mm. I may have to try a 225 in the future as my 210s don't see much use.

After using them side by side for a while in different iterations I've finally come down on having a slight preference for 240 over 210. Tried shorter than 210 and they definitly start feeling too short for me. Don't think 270 would add much for the quantities I'm cutting (but who knows; maybe I'll try it someday). Never had a 'true' 225 but I don't mind a short Sakai 240.
What I pull out often depends on what I'm doing. If I'm doing 'proper cooking' it's usually a 240, but if all I'm doing is cutting a bunch of garlic cloves it feels a bit silly so if it's only small stuff I often pull out something small.

I always thought I wanted a 240 until I tried a 210. Now I’m thinking I prefer small, though I imagine in between is likely perfect - the thread title is right for once!

Whatever the length, I really think the "beefiness" should scale with length. A really thin knife focused on easy cutting seems best around 210, but if you size that up to 240/270 without changing the grind, it starts to feel a bit fragile.

210 for for delicate work, 250 for hard work, 225 when you can't make up your mind.

Whatever the length, I really think the "beefiness" should scale with length. A really thin knife focused on easy cutting seems best around 210, but if you size that up to 240/270 without changing the grind, it starts to feel a bit fragile.

210 for for delicate work, 250 for hard work, 225 when you can't make up your mind.
I actually love my 270 hd2 for when I need to do large amounts of uniformed small dice veg. The thin grind is the best for the delicate work and the 260mm edge is necessary for 20qts of small small dice not taking all day.

I actually love my 270 hd2 for when I need to do large amounts of uniformed small dice veg. The thin grind is the best for the delicate work and the 260mm edge is necessary for 20qts of small small dice not taking all day.

That's very fair. I blame most of my comment on my own clumsiness.

Back