The big thread on insults and offense

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And everything used to be better before there was too much candy. I remember there were only four kinds of candy: Yahoo’s, Bullseyes, Sweet Yarn, and cigarettes. You’d eat your bag of bullseyes and watch Hack Wilson run the bases in a big heavy woolen shirt.

and bands used to have names like Sid Vicious and the Sex Pistols, or Iron Maiden; who or what the hell is Lil Bibby and that Sweatbox the Slumpmaster or whatever?

My folks (union) just want more money on their checks. Not more hours. Only 1 of 10 understands that money grows on the work tree.

I worked union decades in hotels. The pay for banquet chef & head gardemanger was the same. Most chefs & executive sou chef were non union. I was asked if wanted to go management but didn't because hours would be longer & carved ice all over by the piece that was much more than Union wage.

In very busy times I would not take breaks & work off the clock to get the job done.

Now retired have good medical & union pension. Still think unions part of reason jobs went to cheaper labor over seas. Now because technology getting better robots will take over
many jobs. Robots do a lot in manufacturing and they are getting better.

Still think unions part of reason jobs went to cheaper labor over seas.
Of course they are. The overseas guys work till they die, for low pay, with no pension. If the overseas guys try to ask for better, they instead receive much worse.

Whether you want to view the problem as unions existing in some places, or unions not existing in other places, it's still the same problem in the end.

I used to give them 50 for a guaranteed 40. Otherwise, you’d only get about 25-30 hrs. The unpaid 10 had to be in dish or prep, to minimize chances of getting hurt. 🤷🏾‍♂️

This is how I was raised in the kitchen. I don't think restaurants should still run like that, and we all know there are a lot of problems in the industry that need attention.

Frankly to hear folks bit*h at all when all my friends still in fine dining and hotels are getting decimated - laid off and closing their doors left and right - pisses me off.

Godspeed to saints like @Hassanbensober and @daveb who manage union operations... Never again 🤢🤢🤮

Last edited:
Not counting political situation, it is a new world in many ways. My father was a pattern maker taking 2D into 3D. Was also a master model maker for wind tunnels late 1930's till beginning of space shuttle.

Now most of the work he did can be done by computer. In his day they used slide rules.

Technology is changing faster than ever look at 2008 to 2020 it is huge. All because of computers. Society, what you can research on line good & unfortunately a lot of rubbish.

Kind of makes me want to stick around to see what happens. If want to check out something cool this month Hawaii had one of the biggest swells in years. UTube has # of last week's swell. Couple of my favorites.

Koa Rothman outer reef Oahu Biggest swell in years.
John John Florence, Kelly Slater, Koa Rothman. Jet Skis getting huge air launching over the lip some didn't make it, people were injured jet skis destroyed. You can hear the excitement of seasoned watermen being in the wonder of nature's energy. A lot of swear words.

Another favorite
Tucker Wooding Media
Jan. 16 2021 Best tow in session Jaws History.

This one has a great soundtrack.
Billy Kemper
Tyler Larronde
Kai Lenny
Nathan Florence (John John's brother)
Many others

If these don't get your heart pumping nothing will.

on today's episode of saltiness:
Screenshot_20210128-000347_WhatsApp.jpg

Not counting political situation, it is a new world in many ways. My father was a pattern maker taking 2D into 3D. Was also a master model maker for wind tunnels late 1930's till beginning of space shuttle.

Now most of the work he did can be done by computer. In his day they used slide rules.

Technology is changing faster than ever look at 2008 to 2020 it is huge. All because of computers. Society, what you can research on line good & unfortunately a lot of rubbish.

Kind of makes me want to stick around to see what happens. If want to check out something cool this month Hawaii had one of the biggest swells in years. UTube has # of last week's swell. Couple of my favorites.

Koa Rothman outer reef Oahu Biggest swell in years.
John John Florence, Kelly Slater, Koa Rothman. Jet Skis getting huge air launching over the lip some didn't make it, people were injured jet skis destroyed. You can hear the excitement of seasoned watermen being in the wonder of nature's energy. A lot of swear words.

Another favorite
Tucker Wooding Media
Jan. 16 2021 Best tow in session Jaws History.

This one has a great soundtrack.
Billy Kemper
Tyler Larronde
Kai Lenny
Nathan Florence (John John's brother)
Many others

If these don't get your heart pumping nothing will.

True story - the North Shore swell has been ridiculous. I'm very glad to be so far away that I'm not tempted to join any of it and surely die. :D

True story - the North Shore swell has been ridiculous. I'm very glad to be so far away that I'm not tempted to join any of it and surely die. :D
Do you surf in France? I've watched on world tour have some good waves there. This year the triple crown was done with contestants having some one film them & two best waves were judged from video. Hawaii is still not allowing large gatherings because of covid.

We got a gift card for Christmas used it last week first time sat down in restaurant in over a year must wear mask & Temperature station before you sit down to eat. I hope these vaccines get things under control. Many small business in Hawaii have closed for good & others are on life support.

Do you surf in France? I've watched on world tour have some good waves there. This year the triple crown was done with contestants having some one film them & two best waves were judged from video. Hawaii is still not allowing large gatherings because of covid.

We got a gift card for Christmas used it last week first time sat down in restaurant in over a year must wear mask & Temperature station before you sit down to eat. I hope these vaccines get things under control. Many small business in Hawaii have closed for good & others are on life support.

Yeah, I get down to the southwest coast and surf Biarritz, Hossegor and the surrounding areas whenever I can - which is less than I'd like. Trips to Portugal are also fun, but damn, crowds at accessible breaks in summer are worse than Hawaii or Gold Coast.

Vaccines should work well to get things back to normal-ish. Americans hear horror stories but every American is likely to be vaccinated by, oh, mid-summer. In Europe, we're soooooo far behind that pace.

Good luck, and at worst, you're in Hawaii. I love it there (in my youth I spent a bit of time surfing and just bumming about Oahu, Maui and Kauai).

Last edited by a moderator:
What years were you in Hawaii? I liked the North Shore because season longer & plenty breaks some not crowded. I didn't take care of my skin well enough heck when surfing in 1960's sunblock not that good. Now in 70's can't handle much sun anymore. Think younger generation smarter.

I like to watch surfing can't believe what they are doing now. Do know what it's like to see a big set outside paddling for your life on a short
board to get outside, heart pounding just making it over rooster tail spray lip.

I watch guys just getting over huge waves on outside reef break two weeks ago. Some didn't
make it.

What years were you in Hawaii? I liked the North Shore because season longer & plenty breaks some not crowded. I didn't take care of my skin well enough heck when surfing in 1960's sunblock not that good. Now in 70's can't handle much sun anymore. Think younger generation smarter.

I like to watch surfing can't believe what they are doing now. Do know what it's like to see a big set outside paddling for your life on a short
board to get outside, heart pounding just making it over rooster tail spray lip.

I watch guys just getting over huge waves on outside reef break two weeks ago. Some didn't
make it.

Nice one! 60's era must have been incredible. I was there in the 90's, a bit of summer, a bit of fall, a bit of winter. I didn't do a great job protecting my skin when I was extremely young, but I got a lot better over time.

And yeah, watching those elephants attack a week and two weeks ago was mental. Fun to see guys paddling into the monsters again, but my poor old heart skipped beats watching those cleanups.

Latest posts

Back