The camera/photography thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a quick choil shot I hold the knife with my left hand by the handle, use a light color cutting board as a 'background' and allow the tip to touch the board for support. I would be facing window so I would be getting a rather diffuse light from the other side as where the choil is facing what gives me more contrast. between the choil and the background.

I use my EM5II with 12-40 lens at 40 mm focal length (gentle telephoto) and around f/5.6 or f/8.0 F-stop to get a little bit more depth of field to get the whole choil in focus (if I do not manage to get the camera and choil parallel or if the choil is curved). It may help the AF to focus on the choil to tilt the knife to one side and then turn the photo in post processing (Lightroom 6 in my case).

If I want to make a more controlled choil shot (or photograph more than one knife at a time) I would put the knife blade-up on a cutting board (some knives with octagonal WA handles do not need any support, most however do - I use whatever I have at hand in the kitchen) and use the wall (tiles) as light color background.

In general I would boost local contrast in PP to make the choil stand out against the background.

This may not be the best way to photograph choils, but it works. What I also try to avoid is a direct light on the choil (in particular in combination with dark background) - depending how it is shaped and whether it is polished the choil may have a large variation in reflectance what may distort the final image of it. My second photo above is an example how reflection on a choil makes it hard to get an idea about its shape.

Hi Matus, thanks for this info; this is indeed very useful! In addition, I think i will be looking for some sort of clamp to hold the knife in a fixed position so I can control the distance between coil & lens better. As well as having my hands free to operate the remote shutter. I like your last picture though, the reflection on the right knife does show how the finish is done, as the reflection highlights this towards the coil.

I agree having a way to clamp the knife makes it much easier to get reasonable results.

Having light on the choil makes for easier focusing, but I like to keep only a little light directly on the choil so the shadows can dominate.
IOzGN6G.jpg

I don't take too many choil shots though so I'm no expert.

A few photographs from a spa in little place called Korytnica in Slovakia. This area was known for its mineral water springs since 16th century and the spa had its golden times between WWI and WWII. It is located directly under the Low Tatra mountain in a narrow valley with lots of ground water and not too much sun. The spa was declining slowly during the 2nd half of 20th century and was finally closed in 2003. There are restoration attempts ongoing - the mineral water springs have been restored and the commercial production of mineral water (called of course 'Korytnica') allowed to open first pension. But there are around 12 buildings over an area of several hectares that are basically a ghost town.

That place looks amazing Matus, it's such a shame it fell into disrepair and had been abandoned.

Is it due to lack of work or is there another factor?

There are many spa locations in Slovakia (we have the second highest density of mineral ans thermal springs in the world) and somehow this location was not in favour and was not properly maintained and at some point it wad too late. Once communism fell in 1989 it was privatized and that basically was the end (many large state companies ended up that way).

Guess I would post some of my oldies, haven't had the time to go shooting besides work recently. Here's a few.

IMG_5894_zpsszwpjh8b.jpg

IMG_2891-Edit_zps7xxpn0sr.jpg

IMG_3101-Edit_zpshypcjaqf.jpg

IMG_5192_zpsu99bx2ed.jpg

_MG_0807-Edit_zpsyrzoiiko.jpg

_MG_0679-Edit_zpscmyui85a.jpg

_MG_0522-Edit_zps7kom99rr.jpg

IMG_5213_zps4y6xw0u4.jpg

IMG_5657_zpslileqeya.jpg

_MG_7462-Edit_zpsxyued2cc.jpg

Then ofc I got a bunch when I use to do models... but then i'm not sure if I can post those here. :angel2:

Not photographs, but instead a behind the scenes video of me and my partner taking photographs from our last destination model trip. Content was shot for glamour publications (international issues of playboy, maxim, etc), I thought it came out exceptionally well. Except for the underwater clips (shot with canon S95 in canon housing) and drone shots (DJI 4k drone), it was shot with a Sony A7rII: https://youtu.be/5HwVdRbotXE

I've been shooting almost exclusively with a Canon 5d mk2/3 and after seeing the video work and some of the stills of the Sony, I'm standing on the railing of the deck and pretty ready to jump ship. Doing what can be argued as "professional" photography, I often run into issues of work permits or restricted areas. Even just on vacation, I've been approached by officials for using this camera in certain locations. When shooting on a remote beach, the 5D with a good lens and an off camera light is without a doubt "professional". The A7 series is much smaller and lighter (and easier to pack and travel with), and with a prime like the nifty-fifty passes as a consumer PAS and can be used places where the 5D gives me problems. As a bonus, I can use a metabones adapter and use all the Canon glass I already have. Anyone else make the switch from a DSLR to a mirrorless?

On a side note, this trip was such a success, we're going to be hosting a photography workshop focusing on underwater image capture and lighting techniques December 2017 at the same location. Can't wait to combine the glamour stuff I've been doing with underwater scenes and the freedom to use more unique floating poses!

What are those wood things for in Jon's last photo? Looks like you could bend blades.

Nice photos Jon, making me excited to go to Japan next spring. Visiting in-laws family in Shimoda so I probably wont get much time to explore the rest of the country or stop in on some smiths, but hoping to hit a few knife shops in Tokyo at least.

Nice photos Jon, making me excited to go to Japan next spring. Visiting in-laws family in Shimoda so I probably wont get much time to explore the rest of the country or stop in on some smiths, but hoping to hit a few knife shops in Tokyo at least.

shimoda is home to the first US consulate... cool place... very beautiful. They have crazy beaches there... steep sand hills leading directly into the water... people do sand surfing there (or at least they did last time i was there)

Yeah, I've heard its lovely. I've slowly started to put away a special fund for all the eating I plan on doing while I'm there...that is if your restock of jnats and my search for a 270 gyuto doesn't steal in and drain it.

Got a new tripod recently (Berlebach mini)

zGKgElF.jpg

Shot with an Tamron 14-150 lense on a Olympus E-M10 II body. Zoomed all the way in, which given the crop factor on the camera translates to 300mm full frame equivalent focal length. Pretty much just auto-corrections from DXO optics 11, the only thing I did was changing the Color rendering style from "camera default" to "generic kodak kodacrome 64".

I have just received a kamisori and a few stones from Watanabe (who completely refinished it and make the rattan wrapped and lacquered handle for it). Now I need to find the courage to use it :)

Nice nakayama and kamisori Matus! Very kind of Shinichi to make a handle too. I saw these when I ordered my jnats but decided against since they're right handed, not sure I'd want to toy around as a lefty at the risk of slicing my face open

New to the forum, nice to see other camera enthusiasts here. I mostly photograph cosplay, for people not familiar it's people who dress up as characters they like, typically from video games or anime. I used to be pretty active but I haven't been going to as many conventions, and now that my money is being sunk into knives it's hard to buy more lenses. I normally shoot with a Canon 6D and 24-70mm f/2.8 L II. Here's one of my favorite shots I've taken, costume is from Final Fantasy X-2 https://www.facebook.com/AzhpPhotog...5219247939671/705164906278434/?type=3&theater

Latest posts

Back