Quantcast

The finish on Japanese fish slicing knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

cotedupy

Reaction score
As I understand it these knives are generally designed, whether single or double-bevelled, to be thin and sharp and short (in terms of height rather than length), to absolutely minimise friction when slicing as cleanly as possible through flesh. And yet still I often see them with KU finishes. Is that not rather counter-productive? Or am I missing something?

dafox

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it these knives are generally designed, whether single or double-bevelled, to be thin and sharp and short (in terms of height rather than length), to absolutely minimise friction when slicing as cleanly as possible through flesh. And yet still I often see them with KU finishes. Is that not rather counter-productive? Or am I missing something?
There are primarily two types of "fish slicing knives", single bevel yanagiba and double bevel sujihiki. All the yanagiba that I am aware of do not come with a ku finish, sujihikis are available with and without a ku finish. Some sujihikis are thin and more suitable for raw fish slicing and usually have a migaki or smooth finish, some sujihikis are thicker and more suitable for cooked meat slicing and some of these are available with a ku finish.

cotedupy

Reaction score
There are primarily two types of "fish slicing knives", single bevel yanagiba and double bevel sujihiki. All the yanagiba that I am aware of do not come with a ku finish, sujihikis are available with and without a ku finish. Some sujihikis are thin and more suitable for raw fish slicing and usually have a migaki or smooth finish, some sujihikis are thicker and more suitable for cooked meat slicing and some of these are available with a ku finish.
Ah ok, that makes sense. I think I was thinking too much about slicing raw fish for sushi/sashimi.

And now that I think about it - a KU finish on a single bevel knife would I imagine would be *extremely* counter-productive when it came to sharpening.

M1k3

Sell me your clunker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess there's these things called vegetables. Also noodles.

adam92

Reaction score
There's single bevel yanagiba with kurouchi finish, check japanesechefsknife.com

Usually cheap product, still function OK.