the grandiose synth kasumi thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
many people want to put on some nice finish on their blades and learn about these things so i thought we might need a polishing/finishing thread for synth stones only.
where people can post their results when using different stones and also discuss which stones are good for what.

why synth stones only? well, we all have synth stones. and they are usually much cheaper than jnats. and in many cases you might not need an expensive jnat to get a good result.

----------

i think it would be nice if people posted the steel the blade if made of, such as: carbon/iron clad, carbon/ss clad, ss/ss clad, ceramic/meteorite clad, monos etc. because it will look completely different on all those materials.

and then which stones that was used (and maybe a comment about the stones).

pictures are nice! maybe not 200 of them but like 1 closeup (if possible) and then 1 zoomed out a bit.

To kick it off here’s a king 800 on a stainless clad Aogami Super blade.
King 800 is a classic starter stone for kasumi finish.

Loads of contrast but a bit rough looking and not refined in the slightest.
6958AD6D-9BDD-49DC-AC63-18D1A280A85D.jpeg

To kick it off here’s a king 800 on a stainless clad Aogami Super blade.
King 800 is a classic starter stone for kasumi finish.

Loads of contrast but a bit rough looking and not refined in the slightest. View attachment 112529
Looks like it could use a thinning, by the amount of cladding showing.

This is from my records, so no photos like those you've requested. It's quite easy to get a nice refined kasumi on the Chosera 800. Don't mind the tip of the kiridashi (it's not fully flat yet).

This is on iron clad White 2 steel. Leaves a bright uniform kasumi with proper pressure and slurry management. Helps that this stone is great for sharpening as well!

20201225_130602~2.jpg

Looks like it could use a thinning, by the amount of cladding showing.

It’s forged thin and ground thin, absolutely no need for thinning. Cuts like a charm. Maybe a trick of the light where the king didn’t hit the very edge.

I think he’s referring to the lack of exposed core steel

i was trying out some stones on the my kurosaki ss/ss nakiri. this is basically my test bed for stones. but it just wasn't possible to get a good finish on it. 👹

neither the imanishii 10k nor the cerax 8k turned out good. either stray scratches or just an uneven finish. so now i'm dropping down to low grits and lay down a foundation and then try something in the 2-3-4k range. i have a feeling the ouka will be fairly good. there is no guarantee though with this ss blade. and i'm a fairly impatient person.

here is some pics of the ouka 3k on a yoshikane ss clad skd11 or skd12 (i dont know).
not much contrast to speak of to be honest. no synth will create any good contrast on this one. none that i have tried at least.

then we have the kurosaki r2 ss clad. this one is also notorious for being almost impossible to cram out some contrast from. and as we all can see the ouka is kinda hard to get scratch free. there is always some strays with this one. no matter how careful i am. at least with these 2 blades.

both blades are dry.
yoshiouka1.JPG

kuroouka1.JPG
kuroouka2.JPG

Excellent thread! Here's my effort with a King 1.2k on White 2.

(N.B. - My phone's camera is probably not up to this really. This is a restoration project on an old and rusty Yanagi, and I obviously haven't done the edge yet. And it's only my second or third time doing kasumi, so I'm not much good anyway!)

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

Here are a few finishes. Most of my synthetic stones pretty much. I needed to do some work on my kiridashi, so I thought why not document it.

King 300
20210207_114743.jpg

Cerax 320
20210207_115217.jpg

Chosera 800
20210207_120539.jpg

King 1200
20210207_123547.jpg

King 4000
20210207_124837.jpg

Kitayama 8000
20210207_125748.jpg

And finally just for comparison uchigumori
20210207_131105.jpg

Here are a few finishes. Most of my synthetic stones pretty much. I needed to do some work on my kiridashi, so I thought why not document it.

King 300
View attachment 113520

Cerax 320
View attachment 113521

Chosera 800
View attachment 113522

King 1200 View attachment 113523

King 4000
View attachment 113524

Kitayama 8000
View attachment 113525

And finally just for comparison uchigumori
View attachment 113526

Is that one of the Okeya kiridashi? If so - I think I just got the same delivered today :)

here is an attempt with the 8k cerax. tried working up mud on the stone with only the blade, tried diamond slurry, tried naniwa nagura slurry, tried cerax nagura slurry etc. and this is the best i can get it. not much contrast and no way of getting rid of the silver scratches.

cerax8kkasumi.JPG

cerax8kkasumi2.JPG

Shapton Pro 1k > Green Brick 2k > Superstone 10k

I have grown to HATE the green brick‘s finish the more I use it. Yours looks so good! Do you attribute the finish more to the superstone, or are you able to get Kasumi from it? What’s the secret???

@MowgFace

The middle picture is after the 2k brick -- maybe there's some kasumi happening there? If so, it's from the GBoJ. I'm actually not sure what kasumi denotes exactly, if I'm being honest...

The quality of the finish results from using the GBoJ muddy, most likely.

The Chosera cleaning nagura works particularly nicely to raise mud from the Green Brick, incidentally.

Cerax 3000

Naniwa SS5K (glossy edge steel)

Artificial suita 5-6k (a little less glossy):

i dunked my ouka last night to see if a long soak will make it less scratchy. it seemed to work on the 8k cerax at least.

Back