The Grind II

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty dog

Reaction score
[video=youtube;LF2VFo1_yrQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF2VFo1_yrQ[/video]

Only one thing surprised me doing this video. I fully expected the Rader to stick. I have to wonder if the mustard finish had anything to do with it?

I have been using potatoes and apples (wedging) for the ultimate grind test as well. Mustard finish sounds intriguing. Those knives are likely hand rubbed to 1000-1500 grit, so it is either a grind or a finish.

M

not sure i completely understand the grind having to do with food sticking to the blade... can someone explain further

Hey, Salty,
how about a spine shot of that Mizuno other knives that have done on potato?

M

Don't have access to my camera at the mo but here is an idea of the grind on the left side. It's relatively flat compared to the right. The suminigashi is the same way.

trio4.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice. Simple and straightforward but interesting and useful. Thanks, Salty!

'Course this also means I need to keep improving my sharpening skills to maintain the geometries put in by each maker ;)

Don't have access to my camera at the mo but here is an idea of the grind on the left side. It's relatively flat compared to the right. The suminigashi is the same way.

trio4.jpg
[/IMG]

So are the bevel asymmetric? Left is flat and right is more convex? Not sure I am following you.

M

that's it exactly. (not completely flat as seen in the photo)

Cool, thanks. Isn't your Masamoto suji also asymmetrically ground?

M

Ever so slightly. With the short blade it makes it harder to tell. Super thin edge, I think they accomplish that with the left side ending just shy of the actual edge. So the right side makes up more of the edge. If you can picture what I'm saying. I'm talking miniscule differences.

Excellent video - thanks for taking the time to do this!

Now we're all going to be testing all our knives on potatoes. :D

First, tomatoes. Now, potatoes. Do we have another "-ato" to go to next? :)

Ever so slightly. With the short blade it makes it harder to tell. Super thin edge, I think they accomplish that with the left side ending just shy of the actual edge. So the right side makes up more of the edge. If you can picture what I'm saying. I'm talking miniscule differences.

Yes I can. I actually ended up (accidentally) with a similar grind. Need to put a handle and do a potato cutting test.

M

thank you for posting this. the first was good and this one is even better.

Wasn't surprised with the Mizunos... that's what they're known for. Cool vid. Thanks Salty.

Are the Mizuno's asymmetrical? Thanks for the video! I was surprised by the results.

Are the Mizuno's asymmetrical? Thanks for the video! I was surprised by the results.

What exactly were you surprised about?

One thing to keep in mind about the Mizunos is they are really quite thick. Salty's had the suminagashi for quite some time and the honyaki was thick to begin with. Thickness accentuates the effects of the convex face. The "better-finished" Carters, for example are very thin. Many are under 2mm thick at the spine. There very little room for convexing.

Mizuno is fantastic. Far and away my favorite knife (never had the chance to try the Masamoto, though).

What exactly were you surprised about?

One thing to keep in mind about the Mizunos is they are really quite thick. Salty's had the suminagashi for quite some time and the honyaki was thick to begin with. Thickness accentuates the effects of the convex face. The "better-finished" Carters, for example are very thin. Many are under 2mm thick at the spine. There very little room for convexing.

The results were interesting, that's all. I don't think that these knives were an apples to apples comparison, but I liked the results. What was the fourth knife, by the way?

I think we've all been craving a Salty vid for some time; this was very informative. Didn't you take the Masamoto on a road trip? Have you seen it since then? I was really interested in seeing it in action as well... Makes a good excuse for a "the Grind III", I guess....

The results were interesting, that's all. I don't think that these knives were an apples to apples comparison, but I liked the results. What was the fourth knife, by the way?

The fourth was Michael Rader.

TK is right about the thickness of the Mizunos.

Good news: I found the Masamoto. I was starting to worry.

Excellent vid. Lots of knives doing the exact same thing the same way. Gotta love pure information.

Great video and I think I'll try this in work tomorrow with my Masamoto and Watanabe. Curious to try my Watanabe because despite being thick at the spine it cuts very well so I wonder how it would do in this test, if Mizunos do well due to their thickness

I love the no nonsense vids. Lots of good info in there.

The closing line was great, lol.

I have a few gyutos left so I'll be doing a Grind III with the Masamoto TC Laser and others.
I'll also give the Carter another go, along with his funayuki.

Back