The Gyuto Plunge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My main hesitancy in getting a Hiro AS first was my fear of damaging the blade, being that I have no sharpening experience. However, I'm going to buy a very coarse combo stone and a fine stone (around 6K). That way, I can practice on the stainless that I'm getting rid of, and then hone my abilities on the Hiro. It's twice as expensive than a FKH but in reality, $160 is cheap for a nice blade that should last me many years.

Should I still expect long-term discoloring of vegetables? Do people recommend using a stainless petty/alt blade for cutting onions/tomatoes/etc? I mention onions because they seem to take on discoloration the most.

No, your Hiro AS will be fine cutting everything. The core steel isn't that reactive at all, especially once you have used it a few times.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on using a steel with the Hiro AS before every use? Is a smooth ceramic steel (or diamond rod) a bad idea for that knife?

Does anyone have any experience or advice on using a steel with the Hiro AS before every use? Is a smooth ceramic steel (or diamond rod) a bad idea for that knife?

There is no need to steel or hone it before every use. Steeling is useful for softer blades to straighten the edge which rolls and deforms under use, but is of limited utility on a high-hardness blade like the Hiromoto. In fact, using a grooved steel on it will damage the edge, rather than improve it.

Rick

Made the order.
Hiromoto Aogami Super Gyuto 240mm
Hiromoto Gingami No.3 Petty 120mm
w/ Sayas

Thanks for everyone's input and help. Much appreciated!

the 150mm saya is not in stock. I'm wondering how difficult or easy it would be to acquire a 150mm saya that fits my HG3 petty even if it's not purchased and therefore fit to the knife at the same time.

The HG3 petty has very common profile and dimensions. I would mail Mr Koki Iwahara from JCK and ask for a solution.

thanks Benuser, you've been most helpful in my adventure! :biggrin:

this thread is awful!! now i want a 240mm Hiro as well..DAMN!

so in summary..the profile on the knife you bought is more curved? it isnt one of those straight/flat profile knives? i see the pics. but just wanted to make sure.

I bought a Hiro AS. it isn't here yet. I didn't post any photos of it.

Back