The high drama thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JNS annoys me. Maxims website is old, outdated, annoying to search through, if I want to try for a kato or shig I wish I could just sort all knives by newest or by profile. Even if you go to "new" those knives won't show up.

There are no scheduled drop times for the good stuff. Only reason I was able to get my workhorse was I luckily checked the forums at 5am. Also curious the margins on these knives. I know the katos and shigs used to be $4-$500 I wonder what the wholesale price is?

I know this is all complaints about luxury goods etc etc but it would be nice for JNS just to say katos dropping tomorrow at 2pm, instead of an Instagram post of a knife with a unicorn and a heart as a comment, and then randomly popping up at 4:53 am a week later. If knowing even approximate time beforehand it would allow people to block off a certain time in their calendar, and not reward bots/people that have page loggers.

/End rant

Maxim has mentioned before that he uses certain tools to defeat the bots. One of the things that I've noticed, is that he re-uses listings from the past to post items that have come into stock. This keeps stuff from showing up on the newest list which I suspect is one of his anti-bot tactics.

Edit: And for sorting stores like Crocker Cutlery and Ai and Om are in the same boat - let me filter out of stock, and maybe search on a blade type.

Last edited:
Maxim has mentioned before that he uses certain tools to defeat the bots. One of the things that I've noticed, is that he re-uses listings from the past to post items that have come into stock. This keeps stuff from showing up on the newest list which I suspect is one of his anti-bot tactics.

Edit: And for sorting stores like Crocker Cutlery and Ai and Om are in the same boat - let me filter out of stock, and maybe search on a blade type.
He's definitely not using any tools with that website lol

it will still show up on the page for Kato/Shig though I think, so it won't really do much.

So there's about as many ways of defining "best value knife" as there are members of this forum but even if you're not a rectangle type and ignoring the drama about the actual maker, the Watanabe Pro 180 nakiri is the best value I've encountered so far.

Oh, and the high volume Akifusa would be next.

...kato or shig...Also curious the margins on these knives. I know the katos and shigs used to be $4-$500 I wonder what the wholesale price is?...
Maxim was so pissed about all the flipping at one point he talked about trying to get Kato to jack up his prices to help curb this some. I think he succeeded.

Maxim was so pissed about all the flipping at one point he talked about trying to get Kato to jack up his prices to help curb this some. I think he succeeded.
Dang that makes me a bit sad. Would have liked my Kato to be $800 instead of $1400 lol. I still think his drops benefit bots and people who use page monitors. Easier for a real human to get a knife when they actually know it is going to appear, vs having a program refresh the site every couple of seconds 24 hours a day

So there's about as many ways of defining "best value knife" as there are members of this forum but even if you're not a rectangle type and ignoring the drama about the actual maker, the Watanabe Pro 180 nakiri is the best value I've encountered so far.

Oh, and the high volume Akifusa would be next.
Kochi 180 Nakiri is also nice, crazy thin on both end and excellent grind.

It was on sale for me at tosho, but $280 ($360 USD at knives and stones) for my hatsukokoro komorebei wins best value proposition for me. Mix of mirror polish, natural stone kasumi and a great laser grind.

Wait. Isn't this the high drama thread? Where's the drama

Fiiiine......I'll do it.

Die Hard is not a motherf***ing Christmas movie any more than Platoon is a nature documentary.

Edit: I have this debate annually. It may be my longest standing familial Christmas tradition.

Last edited:
I like CKTG (within reason and more so in my earlier knife phases) and don’t know they get a lot of heat here.

Also why cant I type www.**************.com. What happened? Is mark actually Voldemort?

I like CKTG (within reason and more so in my earlier knife phases) and don’t know they get a lot of heat here.

Also why cant I type www.**************.com. What happened? Is mark actually Voldemort?
I agree. Apparently the founder of this forum and mark the founder of CKTG had a spat. I withhold judgement as there is probably a lot of bias one way or another depending on what forum you read, hard to get the full picture.

Their custom service is kind slow and unresponsive unless you just bought stuff, I have sent them some questions regarding stuff they sell but did not get any reply. I've heard that they moderate their review sections so some of the bad ones didn't get posted but I can't be sure. Some of their stuff like CCK is more expensive than other vendors like action sales and some of their custom stuff is kind ridiculous. That being said they are just a vendor, you pay stuff and you get stuff, they don't force service and price gouging, most of their pricing are normal and they got some nice exclusives. Purchasing experience from JKI or CKC is much nicer but they are the exception not the norm in retails.

I agree. Apparently the founder of this forum and mark the founder of CKTG had a spat. I withhold judgement as there is probably a lot of bias one way or another depending on what forum you read, hard to get the full picture.
My understanding is that Mark was using the forum to shill for his store. Doing things like using sock puppet accounts to bump up the apparent quality of his goods (at the time he was getting Lamson to make stuff for him).

Hmm. Usually I wouldn't care that much shilling your own store, but yeah fake accounts that's no bueno. One of the only reasons I'd buy from them anyway is they still get Fujiyama in relatively frequently and at decent prices. Not that I really am in the market for any more "plain" FMs though anyway.

Dang that makes me a bit sad. Would have liked my Kato to be $800 instead of $1400 lol. I still think his drops benefit bots and people who use page monitors. Easier for a real human to get a knife when they actually know it is going to appear, vs having a program refresh the site every couple of seconds 24 hours a day

I don't know how effective his tools are but he has said he has tools to deal with page watchers. I remember having that discussion with him but I can't find it right now.

Ok - Found what I was looking for: Knife findings

Guy had a page watcher and missed two Kato drops. Down a few posts, Maxim pops in to mention that he had software.

One of our members definitely fkd up and owes some people an apology. Its a bad look to all of us.

70C22280-4DA9-4173-B19E-E17BC7CC1F49.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back