The Honesuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I keyed on is that rstcso stated Honcho-knife had a lot of bad reviews. I searched and there are a bunch, so I emailed them asking if the "Sakai Takayuki Tokujyo Supreme" was in stock. I received a reply at 11.45 PM Eastern time stating it wasn't in stock, but could be restocked when ordered. Also, the saya is separate and is basically $50. I went through the header of the email, and it seems this company is operated out of Japan. The Honcho-Knife site is hosted in Kansas, but registered in Japan. Also, the email came from import.jpn.com, which is registered and hosted out of Japan. All that is fine, but they pretend like they are in Miami instead of stating how it really works. They also pretend the knives are on sale, but it doesn't really seem so, or they are always on sale. One of my best eBay purchases was soy sauce from Japan, but it was very clear. I think Honcho should be more up front, so I'm turned off of them.

So, I'm thinking further and looking at less expensive honesuki knives. There have been a lot of good suggestions, so there are several choices in different price points. Maybe that Ashi Hamono could ring the bell. My other thought is getting more sharpening stones, and I have a few in mind.

I am very glad I finally signed up here, and you guys are great!

You can find a LOT of vendors to peruse in this thread: https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/who-do-you-buy-from.52523/

Get the fan. You want the fan. You might think you don't want the fan. But you want the fan.

I looooove my honesuki, which is a lefty, Misono, carbon. I use it pretty regularly when breaking down chickens, very comfortable and efficient for me.

Do I think it's an essential for me? Absolutely not—sometimes I'll choose just to use a chef's knife or petty to break down a bird—but I do prefer using a honesuki.

9BEB7515-89DC-4DC1-86D2-1094A3D55AD5.jpeg

I looooove my honesuki, which is a lefty, Misono, carbon. I use it pretty regularly when breaking down chickens, very comfortable and efficient for me.

Do I think it's an essential for me? Absolutely not—sometimes I'll choose just to use a chef's knife or petty to break down a bird—but I do prefer using a honesuki.

View attachment 151615
Misono Swedish Honesuki is on my shortlist. Definitely can get by with my Munetoshi Butcher, but hey why the fack not.

What length is yours ? 145 or 165?

Misono Swedish Honesuki is on my shortlist. Definitely can get by with my Munetoshi Butcher, but hey why the fack not.

What length is yours ? 145 or 165?

Think my honesuki is 145mm. I also have the Mune butcher which is fantastic, used it for chicken too. Different knives altogether. I'm keeping both.

Good lord, what happened to the bird?! More carbon there than in the Misono.
Seriously, is this charring prior to further processing? Just curious. It is such a strong graphic picture.
Nothing’s happened to the bird yet—except being broken down with a honesuki. It’s a Silkie Chicken—skin, flesh, bones are all black in color with this breed of fowl, the result of a rare genomic mutation. Only a few black chicken breeds, two are from China and Sweden. Common ingredient found in Chinatown markets, typically made into an herbal chicken soup. Very cool looking!
6786E42B-B622-4810-A744-B8B6D911BF34.jpeg

64CF9EDB-2C8B-491E-A840-303FC73C1306.jpeg

I agree, most chicken isn't very good. Some heritage chickens are very good though.

I agree, most chicken isn't very good. Some heritage chickens are very good though.
Here in Europe I just go for Label Rouge chickens. It's a French quality label with certain requirements that has enough volume that it isn't super pricey, without sacrificing quality; never had a bad one. Sadly prices on them have been climbing lately... Mostly bought guineafowl lately; arguably tastes even better but these days it's actually cheaper than good chicken. Fingers crossed 'the masses' don't discover it.

@Jovidah, I'm going to look into those further, but I did find a farm in NC, US that carries them on a quick search. We do have a farm on the other side of Orlando that raises heritage chickens, pigs, etc... that has some great quality, but it's kind of far to get to (over 30 minutes each way), and it's a small store. I've been buying Labelle heritage from Whole Foods, but haven't seen them on the last couple trips. Main grocery store chicken seems to be declining in taste.

I live near the headquarters of Joyce Farms in NC where they have a Label Rouge program. Most of it gets shipped out to restaurants, but I can find them at Whole Foods and some local butcher shops. Excellent birds, but the ones I find at market tend to be scrawny. Whole Foods in particular seems to only get 3lb chickens. The breasts on the breed are already small compared to mass-market genetics (surprise) but when they're are on a 3lb bird, they seem even smaller. Anyway, they're very good if you can find them.

You should check out your local farmers market if you haven't already. I'd be surprised if nobody was selling heritage breed chickens.

Actually, I like 3lb and under birds, and I think they taste better. I eat the dark meat and the wings, and my wife eats the breasts. She's not a big eater, so it works well. However, I think I'll start making some trips out to Lake Meadow Farms, but it's quite a drive. Maybe, I'll go this week.

Our local farmers market is a mad house (crowded), so I avoid it. Some excellent produce, though.

If you like big boobies on your birds then guineafowl is also not for you; it tends to be even scrawnier in that department than the label rouge chicken. Luckily I'm all about the thighs. I'd rather have a bird with big tasty hips than big blown-up tasteless breasts.

While I'm on this thread, I decided to hold off getting a honesuki for now. For a while, I felt like I was temporarily insane in my wanting one. Anyway, after reading a lot in Sharpening Station, I ordered some Shapton glass stones from MTC Kitchen on their 20% off sale. Seems like a lot of people like SG, so I'm looking forward to receiving them.

While I'm on this thread, I decided to hold off getting a honesuki for now. For a while, I felt like I was temporarily insane in my wanting one. Anyway, after reading a lot in Sharpening Station, I ordered some Shapton glass stones from MTC Kitchen on their 20% off sale. Seems like a lot of people like SG, so I'm looking forward to receiving them.
You really can't go wrong. They are no nonsense, no fuss, and effective

Back