The knives of our wives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know what to say......
D4489269-052E-415B-9D15-5EF8B9BB7A5D.jpeg

Yeah, seems like a few relatively new members running around complaining about stuff and trying to change the forum into something that works for them I guess. I say all are welcome, but stay a little get a feel of the culture. This is a really cool place, enjoy it.
It comes in waves. Seen it before, will see it again. I used to do a lot more Modding, but easier to just let natural selection run its course.

1592021162196.jpeg

May as well stay on topic. Super crappy pic of the Wife’s primary battery.
Konosuke HD laser 210 gyuto (appropriated from me)
Ancient Kiya 180 santoku (brought this with her when she moved to the US)
Masamoto 180 ‘Sky Tree’ santoku (gift from Masamoto-san)
Kanemasa 240 suji (one of Dave Martell’s first rehandles)
Generic 140 petty
She’s pretty much a stainless girl, but I always keep a rust eraser near the sink just in case.

My fiancee had the knives I've progressed on from. Tojiro DP gyuto and Konosuke GS+ petty. She also uses "the very useful knife" a lot, which is a Robert herder parer, but we both use that all the time.

The fact that so many people are willing to wait a year and pay $800 for a CM knife boggles my mind.
But in the same token, good for her for being able to pull it off.

That Vic 10.25 wavy edge makes for a great production front line pantry sandwich knife.

My wife normally works with a 6-inch forged F. Dick chef and a custom made Bob Dozier paring I special ordered for her some years ago. Lately she has also discovered the joys of cutting with some of my Japanese blades.

My wife has her own agenda with knives, and it makes for a difficult puzzle. Not for her, she's perfectly happy. But for me, wanting to improve her knife world. This is the knife she uses almost exclusively.

WifeKnife.JPG

We've had it for years, and you can see how well my exhortations to not put it in the dishwasher have worked. Her idea of a perfect knife:

Can put it in the dishwasher
Can put it in the sink without lecture from husband
Can use it for everything from dicing meat to cutting a cantaloupe in half

The steel is soft crap, which at least means I can usually use a sharpening steel to wake it back up again. I tried putting a Spyderco Chef knife into the block, but no go. Any other ideas? She loves this one, even though the handle is uncomfortably rough and the metal is starting to bite into my hand if I hold it (though not hers, I suppose).

I mostly figure I'll let well enough alone, but if anyone has the magic formula to come up with a knife that she would actually be happy to adopt, I'm all ears.

Can put it in the dishwasher
Can put it in the sink without lecture from husband
Can use it for everything from dicing meat to cutting a cantaloupe in half

I mostly figure I'll let well enough alone, but if anyone has the magic formula to come up with a knife that she would actually be happy to adopt, I'm all ears.
Bit of a guess here, since I do not have experience with the knife, but do you think that a Tojiro Fujitora might fit most of those descriptions?

https://www.hocho-knife.com/fujitora-dp-3layered-vg10-stainless-chef-knife-gyuto-210mm/

If that's too fancy or the metal handle is undesirable, what about a Tojiro Color MV?

https://www.globalkitchenjapan.com/...v-gyuto-knife-with-elastomer-handle-6-colours

Last edited:
Bit of a guess here, since I do not have experience with the knife, but do you think that a Tojiro Fujitora might fit most of those descriptions?

https://www.hocho-knife.com/fujitora-dp-3layered-vg10-stainless-chef-knife-gyuto-210mm/

If that's too fancy or the metal handle is undesirable, what about a Tojiro Color MV?

https://www.globalkitchenjapan.com/...v-gyuto-knife-with-elastomer-handle-6-colours

Very interesting ideas, thanks. I think one or the other might actually work. My guess is that I'd want her to choose the first, and she would choose the second. Which probably means I should get the second and give it to her as a present.

Very interesting ideas, thanks. I think one or the other might actually work. My guess is that I'd want her to choose the first, and she would choose the second. Which probably means I should get the second and give it to her as a present.
Buy both. Then she can't say she wanted the other one.

Or perhaps a gyuto from one line and a petty or santoku from the other, if one is going the route of buying both? From the knife in your photo, it doesn't seem that she's using a full-size chef's knife anyways.

Back