The knives people use at my work

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronsgibson

Reaction score
OK before you guys ask, no there are no pics. I think you guys might cry at seeing them. But the knives that the people use in the kitchen are horrible! Absolutely damn near no edge. And I thought that the ones I was forced to use back in my high school restaurant program were bad. (And they were) I'm not sure who made them but they are basically all belly with damn near zero flat and my second day there the sous asked me to dice 6 onions. (Now normally that is a few minute job at best) Well over 10 minutes later I was finished. The next day was followed by 12 assorted peppers! (Needless to say I was all set to slit my throat. If the knife was sharp enough) That task was a good 15-20 and I was full on pissed. So I asked if I could bring a few of my knives into prep with. Thankfully they said yes! So two Globals and I was a much happier camper. Next time was 6 onions, 3lbs mushrooms, ham along with fruit that consisted of 6 pineapples, 4 cantaloupes, 3 honeydew and 2 water melons. From start to finish including clean up was about 2 hours. (It was for Sunday brunch so no need to go full on) But then they came over and said that those were sharp. I just smiled and said yup.

Most restaurants use a local knife rental/sharpening service and a lot cooks don't want the "hassle" of bringing their good knives to work.rental knives can be used and abused,thrown into the dishwasher and tossed around with abandon.Some kitchens I've worked in won't even let you bring in your personal knives,which is a shame considering how much more efficient they can make the task at hand.

Yup, that is exactly what they do with there's. That is also what I told the Sous and Kitchen manager. Thankfully they don't have a problem. I also say yesterday a guy cut himself with one. I automatically thought "That baby is going to take a long time to heal." I know that some of the people who work there would be scared of using a knife that I put an edge on but they should look on it through a different view of better production and all around safer. They also said they have them sharpened every two weeks, which I'm skeptical about but now that I bring my own all be it stainless I'm happy.

Some kitchens I've worked in won't even let you bring in your personal knives,which is a shame considering how much more efficient they can make the task at hand.

There are kitchens that won't allow folks to bring in their personal knives? My back of house days began in a corporate chain pizza shop and even there they let me bring in a global. What is the logic behind banning personal knives from the professional setting?

They also said they have them sharpened every two weeks

WHO sharpens these knives every 2 weeks that it takes 20 minutes to cut a dozen peppers?! That is seriously a 1 minute job. You HAVE to let us know if there is seriously some hack running around Akron dulling knives for pay. Maybe you could supplant him!

That's what I asked almost. On a bad day a dozen peppers take maybe 10 mins and that's really taking my time. I'll almost have to ask who in the hell does there sharpening. But would have to do it in a quiet way. But you guys have no idea how seriously pissed I was getting at how long it was taking me to do those peppers. Then a girl who works salad and such said that the way I was dicing onions was a little dangerous? Now I dice onions the same way Salty does and have done so for well over 10+ years. I ALMOST felt like asking how long she had been using knives and such. But being the nice guy I am I didn't say a thing. But I'll try and find out who the culprit it. But who knows it might just be... You guessed it Frank Stallone :)

There are kitchens that won't allow folks to bring in their personal knives? My back of house days began in a corporate chain pizza shop and even there they let me bring in a global. What is the logic behind banning personal knives from the professional setting?

Beats me.Maybe something to do with them being liable if someone steals or damages your knives?And this was a high end catering co!:scratchhead:

Never worked at a place that banned personal knives.
However, the only people who would probably oppose this are all members on this forum lol.
If I couldn't use my own knives I dunno what I'd do.

I have not worked at a place where they specifically banned people from bringing their own knives, but when you do, you get those weird looks like your some show off or something.
There are even some people who prefer their knives not being that sharp!!

ya its usually the opposite.

the last 8 or so years ive been in this business the restaurants i work in do not even have "house" knives or a sharpening service. employees are expected to bring in their own knives and they better be sharp because there is no way you are gonna get acceptable bruniose with a dull german knife you got in a kit that came with your piss-poor culinary education.

if i was told my knives were not allowed in the kitchen i would reply "if they go, i go" and let the cards fall where they may

Back