The MCX Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys thought it would be best to discuss all things MCX (@moderncooking collab drops) in one thread. We were talking about Fredrik Spare, and then Isasmedjan and others in the Spare impression thread so I thought a thread for all the collabs would make more sense!

This just arrived today, first apex ultra:

apex1.jpg

apex2.jpg

And here is my Spare MXC, the fulltang honyaki western:

honyakispare.jpg

I haven’t tried an Isasmedjan yet - how would you compare his MCX vs the Spare MCX for cutting performance?
I personally can not tell you that as the wrought iron got here yesterday, and the honyaki I have for sale because I overbought, and I don't want to use it if I plan to sell it(I am close to taking it off market though because of how much I like it though.) As a general rule of thumb, I can tell the fit and finish is higher, more polished neck and spine, and the grind looks thinner for what it's worth. Will try and report back tonight. Won't be using the honyaki but I'll take the apex ultra for a whirl.

@Delat

Following up...

Just did some light cutting with it, simple dinner tonight. Nothing really wow'd me in particular, but having all my knives I have, that is very very rare to ever happen anymore.

It did cut very well, felt somewhere in the thicker laser, or a very thin middle weight. Good food release. I'd say expect cutting like a myojin....anything 😅 just to give an idea of what to expect. So it's doing exactly what I want/expected. Great cutter, decent food release, fantastic fit and finish, and a new, cool steel which is (most likely) heat treated well.

Hope this helped! I'm really not the best at comparisons or saying how something cuts besides good or bad 🤣. I like how all my knives cut but I'm not like 'omg my Kono is so much better than my TF and has a way better grind!' Feel like I'm still a nooby to a lot when it regards to really explaining and comparing....again I'm more like this does well or this doesn't do well kinda guy.

anyways, pic.

20220922_192012.jpg

@Delat

Following up...

Just did some light cutting with it, simple dinner tonight. Nothing really wow'd me in particular, but having all my knives I have, that is very very rare to ever happen anymore.

It did cut very well, felt somewhere in the thicker laser, or a very thin middle weight. Good food release. I'd say expect cutting like a myojin....anything 😅 just to give an idea of what to expect. So it's doing exactly what I want/expected. Great cutter, decent food release, fantastic fit and finish, and a new, cool steel which is (most likely) heat treated well.

Hope this helped! I'm really not the best at comparisons or saying how something cuts besides good or bad 🤣. I like how all my knives cut but I'm not like 'omg my Kono is so much better than my TF and has a way better grind!' Feel like I'm still a nooby to a lot when it regards to really explaining and comparing....again I'm more like this does well or this doesn't do well kinda guy.

anyways, pic.

View attachment 199843

Nice review. I am pretty much the same with reviews and comparisons. I'll often hang a knife up on my magnet and it will sit for a few months and I will begin to recognise that I regularly reach for it or I don't. That's my usual test. If I find myself reaching for it naturally I know there is something about it that suits me and that's when I really start to consider the details.

One thing I did find is that it takes time to truly judge a knife and Ill often realise that, during the above process, a knife might perform better at certain tasks than others. I guess I don't like to think too much and just let it happen organically.

As a feedback on the grind, over time, you will see that we give the MCX Jonas Johnsson a more tapered geometry with a bit more thickness above the heel. 👍 🙏

MCX Honyaki forged by Jonas Johnsson available from 8pm CEST 27th September 2022. 4 Pieces Only

Spicy White 26C3 forged in the classic MCX profile with a classic Isasmedjan Walkschliff grind. The handle is the also the classic MCX profile in wenge, stacked birch bark and brass.

Gyuto 240mm Honyaki 26c3 - 6.jpg
Gyuto 240mm Honyaki 26c3 - 10.jpg
Gyuto 240mm Honyaki 26c3 - 4.jpg

Hey MCX fans, I have a few insider updates for you all.

Firstly, the big news is that we are migrating the MCX Fredrik Spåre and MCX Jonas Johnsson lines to their new home @birch_and_bevel or birchandbevel.com. The website is still under development, but you should see it live from the 25th of November assuming everything goes to plan. At launch we will have three Gyuto lines, all in the classic MCX sizes of 230mm and 250mm.

• The Classic Carbon Mono
  • Honyaki
  • Wrought Iron San Mai
If you're keen for more info we are slowly sharing more details on these knives @birch_and_bevel. Those three knives will be available from the 25th of November. Here is teaser of some of the prototypes for the Honyaki and Wrought Iron clad Apex Ultra

e237b99e-5f5e-475d-b292-f1921945dca5.JPG

In other news I have been working on three other MCX related projects including a line of knives that will not come under the MCX brand, but that I have been working closing with the maker to develop. Martin Huber and I have working on a line of mono steel knives in 1.2519 and Apex Ultra.

No official naming yet, but so far we have just been calling them the MC line. I am sure we can do better ;)

These are low bevel blades with aggressive distal tapers. They will be performance focused and fairly reasonable in price. We will do some small releases of these blades over the next few months with a mind to developing the design and gathering feedback. Your opinions on this would be greatly appreciated and so I will endeavour to make then available to the KKF crew first.

I hope you guys are as excited about these projects as I am and I look forward to sharing more details soon.

Best regards,
Peter

Last edited:

Firstly, the big news is that we are migrating the MCX Fredrik Spåre and MCX Jonas Johnsson lines to their new home @birch_and_bevel or birchandbevel.com. The website is still under development, but you should see it live from the 25th of November assuming everything goes to plan. At launch we will have three Gyuto lines, all in the classic MCX sizes of 230mm and 250mm.

• Honyaki
  • Wrought Iron San Mai
If you're keen for more info we are slowly sharing more details on these knives @birch_and_bevel. Those three knives will be available from the 25th of November. Here is teaser of some of the prototypes for the Honyaki and Wrought Iron clad Apex Ultra

View attachment 207740

In other news I have been working on three other MCX related projects including a line of knives that will not come under the MCX brand, but that I have been working closing with the maker to develop. Martin Huber and I have working on a line of mono steel knives in 1.2519 and Apex Ultra.

No official naming yet, but so far we have just been calling the MC line. I am sure we can do better ;)

These are low bevel blades with aggressive distal tapers. They will be performance focused and fairly reasonable in price. We will do some small releases of these blades over the next few months with a mind to developing the design and gathering feedback. Your opinions on this would be greatly appreciated and so I will endeavour to make then available to the KKF crew first.

I hope you guys are as excited about these projects as I am and I look forward to sharing more details soon.

Best regards,
Peter
Dope, thanks for sharing 🙏

• Honyaki
  • Wrought Iron San Mai

View attachment 207740

No official naming yet, but so far we have just been calling the MC line. I am sure we can do better ;)

Best regards,
Peter
OMFG, I need a 250mm Apex Ultra wrought iron in my life!!!

I've said it before but I'll just say it again; although a lot of people are into it, not everyone is into tall knives (50mm+). But I'm not sure there'd be enough interest to make different versions.
Also, maybe a mono stainless could be interesting?

I've said it before but I'll just say it again; although a lot of people are into it, not everyone is into tall knives (50mm+). But I'm not sure there'd be enough interest to make different versions.
+1

I like the tall knives, but the western handled Spåre was about 50mm tall and I've seen a number of folks trying to get ahold of one. As for the stainless mono-steel, I'd be all over the 250mm Spåre profile in one of those.

Also...it would be cool seeing high end stainless as well...Maybe magnacut, PM steels like m390/vanax/damasteel /RWL34(CPM154 from damasteel) and others could all be really interesting! However for now I can't think of better out the gait offerings than honyaki and apex ultra + wrought. I love the steel options so far and like that you guys are keeping it interesting, and not just same old!

We are actually working on a low profile blade that will be initially released through MCX. I think it’s going to be a killer for anyone who like their blades 48-51.

These will also be very slicey

Also...it would be cool seeing high end stainless as well...Maybe magnacut, PM steels like m390/vanax/damasteel /RWL34(CPM154 from damasteel) and others could all be really interesting! However for now I can't think of better out the gait offerings than honyaki and apex ultra + wrought. I love the steel options so far and like that you guys are keeping it interesting, and not just same old!
Hmm Damasteel, that could be fun 🤩

Back