The MCX Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Dont know why more people haven’t started making taller knives. (Or continue in making them and supplying the demand, kaiju are really unicorns and sought after)

Stainless monosteel knife with a taller profile would be a godsend for me. 250ish length 55+ Height.

I looked at the website and my feedback is I was disappointed the smith's aren’t named and they don’t brand the blades. Very different than the MCX releases.

I suppose that's one of many factors that help keeping the costs low and making it profitable for everyone involved. As a result MANY knives are available for a bigger audience at a reasonable price.

So what is this? Is it Masakage Spare or 25 counterfeit Spares? I would definitely suggest following the Masakage model and clearly brand offerings/styles and makers.

Last edited:
I looked at the website and my feedback is I was disappointed the smith's aren’t named and they don’t brand the blades. Very different than the MCX releases.

Agree with this generally.

If they maintain a consistent grind across all the knives, e.g. like Yoshikane, then the brand itself becomes the selling point. On the other hand, if they have different smiths doing the final grind/sharpening according to their individual style (e.g. Masakage but without naming the sharpener), then it makes the buyer uncertain as to what they’d be getting.

I’m personally intrigued but not planning on buying anything until the direction becomes clear.

Maybe a solution could be to not only 'mention' the names of the different contributors and their roles, but also to add their makers mark to the knife. So if person X makes the steel, Y does the smithing and Z does the grinding you could just have all 3 marks on the knife.

I don't know exactly, but I think it can be seen with a little research. The wrough iron steel comes from Jerarmie. The san mai is laminated by Tobias with the wrough and Apex Ultra. Spare did that 1.2419. Which is already unmistakable from the profile. And the other two knives were made by Jonas/Isas. Peter from MC is just the plumb line between the bodies. I actually really like the logo!

It’s not on the website but if you ask them they will give you straight answer, they already disclosed the wrought iron one in this thread. This is not much different from buying from let’s say Kagekiyo or Hitohira, people just assume who made the knives.

Yeah I do like the B&B logo; not saying it has to go...it could be the first one. :p
But I do actually agree that while you can research all the specifics and figure it out it would be better if it was just visible outright. There's nothing to hide there, so I don't see why not. Plenty of Japanese knives have a whole run of kanjis; why couldn't you have 3 or 4 logos on a European knife?

To be honest, I have to admit that I personally don't think it's nice when there are many logos on a knife. I always think less is more. However, I have to admit that I really like the Jonas logo! I would have liked to have had that on my knife too. But it's true. You could have written who did what for each knife. In the end, the other two are only responsible for the steel. Otherwise, the knives are made by the makers the same as always, except for the missing transparents and the logos. I also had to fight my way through the information quite a bit to see exactly what was going on. And it felt weird at first. But we've been in the knife scene for quite some time. And for people who know their way around, it is already clear who made which knife ;)

What I just noticed. In all pictures, only the right side of the blade is shown. Maybe there's a surprise on the left side of the blade 🤪

Actually not a bad idea to just spread out the logos over the different sides.
That... or maybe there's a horse rasp!

Having been using both MCX 250mm and B&B Wrought Iron, these are both nice knives with different characteristic. The Spare is thinner at the edge with a Walkschliff grind, the profile is more of a KS/French sabatier style, good spine taper.The surface finish on the Spare is not as fine as the B&B Wrought Iron but doesn't feel rough to the touch. B&B is a beautiful knife, the wrought iron is classy and my particular example is great, love the cloudy feel. The grind is similar to other Isasmedjan I've seen, more convexity than the spare and slightly thicker at the edge, the taper is more prounonced than the Spare. The profile on the Isas is very classic Japanese gyuto AKA banana knife. Personally I like the banana alittle bit more in cutting, however the Spare looks better to the eye tho.
In cutting I'd say Spare is better at pure separation, require less force than the Isas, but there is some sticking and stiction, carrot stick on the Spare require more force to remove while the one on the Isas just fall off. That said food release are not bad on the Spare, especially in the taller food, the Walkschliff grind helps alot in the regard. Isas do have better release at the bottom half of the knife, tho the separation on denser food is not as good as Spare.
In the end both are great knife, I will continue to use them. Thanks to Peter for hosting such a great collaboration, looking forward to what you guys have in the future.
IMG_8357.jpg

Spare
IMG_8358.jpg
IMG_8359.jpg

Isasmedjan
IMG_8360.jpg
IMG_8361.jpg

Wonder what they are cooking up this time, I love my Birgersson.

Same here. I purposely don’t own 2 of any maker but this has me seriously tempted.

@moderncooking any comment on how the Birgersson MCX will differ from his usual offerings with regards to the grind and profile?

Last edited:
Hey KKF Peeps! Its been a minute, but I have news!

MCX Birgersson Blades now has a release date. 22nd February 9pm CET.

Here is what you need to know...

Gyuto SL - 11.jpg

You guys have always shown this project a great deal of support and I appreciate that immensely. I really look forward to your feedback on this one. Björn does an incredible job and these things are amazing and somehow very unique. I feel that you guys will find them very enjoyable.

Best,
Peter

Hey KKF Peeps! Its been a minute, but I have news!

MCX Birgersson Blades now has a release date. 22nd February 9pm CET.

Here is what you need to know...

View attachment 226158

You guys have always shown this project a great deal of support and I appreciate that immensely. I really look forward to your feedback on this one. Björn does an incredible job and these things are amazing and somehow very unique. I feel that you guys will find them very enjoyable.

Best,
Peter
I don’t need another Birgersson… I don’t need another Birgersson…

Same here. I purposely don’t own 2 of any maker but this has me seriously tempted.

@moderncooking any comment on how the Birgersson MCX will differ from his usual offerings with regards to the grind and profile?
A little late on the reply here, but we have given Björn a very different profile to his normal style. I was considering his hollow bevels that are ultra thin and razor, razor, razor and thought a nice slicey profile would take advantage of that. Something with very low radius and a santoku tip. A little lower than his traditionally very tall blades 52mm/54mm, overall about 1.8mm thick throughout the spine and nearing 0.8mm, 20mm before the tip.

Björn is pretty unique amongst European makers. He does very shallow hollow grinds instead of convex or flat, his tapers are relatively consistent and super thin.

I feel like the profile we have given to this knife will take advantage of all of those features very nicely, while also setting this blade apart from Björn's usual work.

Back