The most difficult thing I ever did with a knife and...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mano

Reaction score
also one of the best.

I gifted my Carbonext 240 gyuto with a kaelaeb custom handle to a dear friend. A bit over a year ago this was my first Japanese knife and IMHO is one of the best all-around cutters, regardless of price. It's relatively light and thin, yet it's a robust journeyman's knife which sharpens easily and maintains an edge. Balance is very good.

Carbonext knives are nondescript and call attention only if they're rehandled. In short, they're the Honda Accords or Toyota Camry's of knives. They're affordable, do most everything well and are nothing special to look at.

The friend is one of the two or three people I can get in sync with when cooking because he knows his way around a kitchen and understands food. This guy is emotionally reserved (I used to call him Spock), but it was clear he was touched and excited by the Christmas gift. I struggled with giving this knife away but he's absolutely the right person to receive it.
handle carbonext 5.jpg

You're a good friend for doing this :) It's hard to part with something dear, but it's rewarding when it's given to someone you care about and whom you know will use it well :)

wow, that's very generous of you. Bringing someone else into the fine world of j knives.

Great gift to give and I'm glad the friendship is one that provides so much for both of you.

Too bad it'll cost him a few grand over the next couple years...

Just kidding! That is a great gift!

That's great. I just bought one of those and for the money, it is very well executed IMO.

nice! its great to see you giving on to somone that apreciates it.

I gave away a knife to my sister and her husband...it sucked, I feel your pain.

Back