The most KKF peeler ever

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About a month back, Facebook's genius video algorithm decided I should watch a video of a rural village somewhere in Southeast Asia cooking up some birds. Most of the cutting was done with an assortment of cleavers but then they busted out a crazy peeler that looked like a cleaver with a slot cut out in the middle. Even better, it looked like the bottom doubled as a knife and then they started using it to chop up some veggies 🤯

It's one of those things that can't be unseen and thanks to the internet, I pulled up a few options and settled on this bad boy from CrudeKnives on Etsy! A week later, this sucker arrives in a plastic shipping bag with a bubblewrap lined envelope taped over the blade. Really not much to say about FnF but it's definitely got some rustic charm. Be warned, it comes coated in some grease that's probably supposed to be used on machinery!

Blade is 160mm x 60mm tall, handle is 100mm and feels a bit too short. The knife blade has a chisel grind and interestingly, the peeler blade has a chisel blade with a slight hollow grind on the flat side, which I thought was a nice touch. OOTB, the peeler worked great on carrots and potatoes but struggled with an Asian pear. Unfortunately it's not a great cutter, steers like it wants to drive off the road and the peeler blade gets in the way of cutting anything taller than an inch :( I'm still going to put a scary sharp edge on this and maybe try to get it to take thinner slices by flattening out the bend between the two blades. [note to self, DO NOT use left hand to guide cuts]

Any members living in that part of the world have any experience with these things?

Thai peeler unpacking.jpg

Thai peeler.jpg

With the right spokeswoman, they could probably charge Chelsea Miller prices for that.

Back