the Sabatier appreciation thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Estate sale $2 pick up. Rusted and bent!
View attachment 263583

View attachment 263584

I know next to nothing of the Sab history over time. My main experience is from the mandatory kit I bought for culinary school in NYC, late 1980's. Bent rusty shown next to the one knife I kept from school, a very overused and underappreciated filet knife.

View attachment 263585

For a guy that can sharpen, repair tipped knives, and thin, but no experience with full on restoration, where to start? Mostly, I've no experience with fixing a bend. Not worried about the old filet - I can fix the birds beak and I like the patina.
For the rust, sandpaper progression would be my vote. I usually start with bench stones to get geometry where I want it, then pretty it up with sandpaper.

For the bend, a straightening stick is ideal, like this

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/straightening-stick.65063/
Easy enough to make your own if you have the right power tools.

Last edited:
Estate sale $2 pick up. Rusted and bent!
View attachment 263583

View attachment 263584

I know next to nothing of the Sab history over time. My main experience is from the mandatory kit I bought for culinary school in NYC, late 1980's. Bent rusty shown next to the one knife I kept from school, a very overused and underappreciated filet knife.

View attachment 263585

For a guy that can sharpen, repair tipped knives, and thin, but no experience with full on restoration, where to start? Mostly, I've no experience with fixing a bend. Not worried about the old filet - I can fix the birds beak and I like the patina.

For the rust, sandpaper progression would be my vote. I usually start with bench stones to get geometry where I want it, then pretty it up with sandpaper.

For the bend, a straightening stick is ideal, like this

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/straightening-stick.65063/
Easy enough to make your own if you have the right power tools.

Trying to straighten monosteel blades like that old Sab is going to be extremely tricky, or probably impossible, to do with a straightening stick while cold (ime).

You have to do something more along these lines; heating the blade to quite close to the temperature of the temper, whilst bending it back the same amount in the other direction...

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/an-interesting-sabatier-restoration-wip.65432/

My wife only uses these. Curious if anyone of this thread has experience with the new 200 series with the Swedish steel? does it still feel like a Sab? any F&F complaints?

Only seen pics of them and have thought of getting one for her, but it kinda looks like a frenched up MTH-80.

My wife only uses these. Curious if anyone of this thread has experience with the new 200 series with the Swedish steel? does it still feel like a Sab? any F&F complaints?
Five years ago I got their 25cm chef's. Remarkably thin and light, 160g, without being a laser. Still a good food release thanks to the slight convexity of the right face. Can even be improved as I do with all Sabs by giving it a slightly asymmetric edge. Slightly forward balance. Probably thought with a great Nogent in mind, but with a spear point tip. Which New Sabatier?
The 18cm chef's I recently got is a very different animal. Same weight (!), balance point at the first rivet, twice as thick. As if it was made for a careless home user.
I could write about the first one F&F were at least on par with the Misono. It even came with an excellent factory edge. Quite remarkable, as K-Sabs are not exactly known for their consistency and QC. Since, I know about bents and warps with this series as we are too familiar with. The well-known Thiers lottery. Grinding still great, edge horrible.
Steel, 14C28N at 60+Rc, is remarkable. Called it before AEB-L on steroids. Equally finely grained, but lacking the somewhat buttery feeling. Feels and sharpens like an excellent carbon.

Last edited:
My 200 wasn't nail flexing, but not that far from it. Still clearly in that thin, light and laserish category... but... with quite a bit of continuous curve to the profile. It's one of those knives that really pushes you to rockchopping, without having excessive curve or belly like a Wüsthof.
Mine is 190 gr and balances right at the heel. @Benuser was your old 25 cm model one with ebony handles or with G10? Because I can't really see where mine has gained 30 grams.

Similar lottery problem; the first one I got was warped. But they didn't make a fuss and the second one was straight as an arrow.

My 200 wasn't nail flexing, but not that far from it. Still clearly in that thin, light and laserish category... but... with quite a bit of continuous curve to the profile. It's one of those knives that really pushes you to rockchopping, without having excessive curve or belly like a Wüsthof.
Mine is 190 gr and balances right at the heel. @Benuser was your old 25 cm model one with ebony handles or with G10? Because I can't really see where mine has gained 30 grams.

Similar lottery problem; the first one I got was warped. But they didn't make a fuss and the second one was straight as an arrow.
Mine is G10. Noticed spine and tang of my new 18cm are substantially thicker than with old 25cm.

It's possible they moved to thicker stock to counter the warping problems. I noticed Herder also uses a thicker stock on the 23 cm K Chef than on the 18 cm K5.

Five years ago I got their 25cm chef's. Remarkably thin and light, 160g, without being a laser. Still a good food release thanks to the slight convexity of the right face. Can even be improved as I do with all Sabs by giving it a slightly asymmetric edge. Slightly forward balance. Probably thought with a great Nogent in mind, but with a spear point tip. Which New Sabatier?
The 18cm chef's I recently got is a very different animal. Same weight (!), balance point at the first rivet, twice as thick. As if it was made for a careless home user.
I could write about the first one F&F were at least on par with the Misono. It even came with an excellent factory edge. Quite remarkable, as K-Sabs are not exactly known for their consistency and QC. Since, I know about bents and warps with this series as we are too familiar with. The well-known Thiers lottery. Grinding still great, edge horrible.
Steel, 14C28N at 60+Rc, is remarkable. Called it before AEB-L on steroids. Equally finely grained, but lacking the somewhat buttery feeling. Feels and sharpens like an excellent carbon.

Thank you for the insights. Definitely thought the steel was cool. On strata in the US, the 180cm seems to be lighter, but interesting that the one you got was heavier. Makes me hesitant to buy one from internet.

Pic with the comparison of the NOS is definately helpful. Thanks!

zvGf7WO.jpeg
ihxpq4J.jpeg

After a long time of grinding during my off time, I finally finish grinding with one of the knife.
Slight convex almost a bit hollow on the Hira or face.

Here are some test cut with edge off the best grinder.

Just need a handle and fit and finish

Back