The sink bridge to end all sink bridges

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been enjoying the similarly priced one from JKI, which has a metal platform onto which one would normally place a stone holder. I superglued an antislip silicon mat onto it, and now just put the stones directly on the mat.

Received the $35 (ok, so $40 all in) sink bridge from China tonight. I lost track of when I ordered it, but it seems like it took about 3 weeks to get.

All in all I'm impressed. The plastic pieces are substantial and look to be UHWPE or equivalent. The stainless rods are sturdy, and the stainless thumb screws seem decent enough. Will post some pictures in use, but here's a pic after unwrapping.
View attachment 48570

This is a biggy, do the threaded holes have metal thread inserts?

Very interesting thread...Thanks for the insights, guys, especially to you, @Michi
I am trying to figure out which is the more versatile product- the sandpaper holder or the whetstone holder... "Versatile" - in term of sharpening applications. As far as I understand, one can sharpen his/her knives (and other metal tools) using sandpapers only and this could be considered as saving from (buying) whetstones? Do I understand correct?
I guess it is best (as always) if one has both devices...
Thoughts?

Last edited:
I wouldn't use sandpaper for edge sharpening. I find 120 grit sandpaper useful for extreme modifications to knives, and if the grind is smooth enough you can mount sandpaper on a device like the above when you polish. Stones and sandpaper have different uses in my book.

I wouldn't use sandpaper for edge sharpening. I find 120 grit sandpaper useful for extreme modifications to knives, and if the grind is smooth enough you can mount sandpaper on a device like the above when you polish. Stones and sandpaper have different uses in my book.
In ther words, your book says: Sandpapers for extreme knife modifications and knife polishing, whetstones - for regular knife sharpening. Correct?

OK...Let's say the sandpapers can save some bucks when one uses them for polishing, instead of good polishing whetstones, which start from (let's say) 70 USD...

It’s not about saving money, unless you just want to polish one knife once and not make the initial investment for a stone. A stone is just like a bulk sandpaper buy. It’s about the fact that sandpaper can conform to a convex surface and a stone can’t.

OK...Let's say the sandpapers can save some bucks when one uses them for polishing, instead of good polishing whetstones, which start from (let's say) 70 USD...
Easy peezy route is scratch the bevels up to your highest grit stone. Then sandpaper, 400 - 1k or to however shiny you want. 400-800 gives a matte finish that hides scratches from use pretty well. I like finishing heel to tip.

While I like to make my own tools most of the time, I totally appreciate a well made, well thought out tool. That sink bridge is both and it’s nice to have tools like that available. When I make a tool that’s been made before I’ll get inspiration from other designs. Although I do like to come up with improvements if I can.

... one can sharpen his/her knives (and other metal tools) using sandpapers only and this could be considered as saving from (buying) whetstones? Do I understand correct? ...

I don't think this conclusion is universally true. I think sandpaper will be cheaper initially. I think sandpaper can be cheaper for specific specialized uses. But since a stone will generally last longer, I think you will eventually come out ahead with stones for normal sharpening activities. (This is religiously debated in woodworking forums all the time, probably since the beginning of time.)

One counter argument is for very coarse grits where stones wear fast and, since the abrasive is larger, you get fewer "layers" of abrasive in the stone, so paper may be cheaper. (Depending on your use, blah, blah, blah.)

Received the $35 (ok, so $40 all in) sink bridge from China tonight. I lost track of when I ordered it, but it seems like it took about 3 weeks to get.

All in all I'm impressed. The plastic pieces are substantial and look to be UHWPE or equivalent. The stainless rods are sturdy, and the stainless thumb screws seem decent enough. Will post some pictures in use, but here's a pic after unwrapping.
View attachment 48570
plus freight?

Could someone who has the Kasfly post it's dimensions? I'd like to know how long it is in total, how high the stone is mounted when used on a counter top and also when inside a sink especially.

Could someone who has the Kasfly post it's dimensions? I'd like to know how long it is in total, how high the stone is mounted when used on a counter top and also when inside a sink especially.
Note that measurements are approximate and taken in Imperial then converted to metric (because that's all my tape measure has).

Total length: 18-3/8in (466.7mm)
Widest sink span: 17-1/16in (433.4mm)
Countertop to bottom of stone: 3-1/16in (77.8mm)
Sink lip to bottom of stone: 2-5/16in (58.7mm)

Back