The Southpaw

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kippington

A small green parrot
Reaction score
This one took ages to make so I'm proud to show it off! Honyaki gyuto 248mm edge length, 184 grams.

H123gF6.jpg

Made with a left-handed bias on both the grind and the choil rounding. I couldn't actually test this knife properly because I'm a rightly and it felt really uncomfortable haha!

XE0ABuA.jpg

I spent many long hours on the polish. I even messed up an earlier version of this knife at the polishing stage - tried too many times and it got really thin. I had to stop chasing the hamon and start the knife again from scratch. This one worked out far better, so I gotta show a hamon glamour shot!

zLGiTsN.jpg

Thanks for looking!
This one will be shipped off to Labor in the next few days. :)

That’s a great looking knife. Beautiful hamon and the profile looks great. The handle looks very comfortable too. Oh a the reason it feels wrong is because it is, what is this lefty stuff......:rofl2:

Osama bin Laden, Albert Henry DeSalvo (Boston strangler), and most believe Jack the Ripper was a lefty.

I was going to put Oprah in my list too

Jimi Hendrix, Napoleon and Oprah were/are left handed (drops mic).

Osama bin Laden, Albert Henry DeSalvo (Boston strangler), and most believe Jack the Ripper was a lefty.

I was going to put Oprah in my list too

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh You're gonna need this Craig:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States

I like where this is going!

Ha! Not a one of them could get a job as a cook.

Beautiful work, love the hamon and the choil pic looks great too as long as you're a lefty. :)

I already have Kippingtons next idea. Thinner spine, thinner ground, lighter workhorse. We’ll call it the “work pony” 😀

:bigeek: I want a “work pony”. It has to be done “RIGHT” ofcourse, but I want one. Is it going to have the same profile as this one? How tall is this one at the heel?

:bigeek: I want a “work pony”. It has to be done “RIGHT” ofcourse, but I want one. Is it going to have the same profile as this one? How tall is this one at the heel?
This one is 53mm tall. And just what the hell is a "work pony"? :biggrin:

The only thing missing would be a parrot makers mark. 😀
This is a good idea, I need to learn to electro etch. Anyone got any tips before I jump into it?

work pony - a laser that has thick enough spine (3.0mm with aggressive taper?) to have an actual convex grind for food release but still just drops right through food cause of its thinness.

i dont care about kanji or logos, but a parrot would be pretty dope.

I rarely post, but I read this forum every night. Anyway, I've been the proud owner of this knife now for a few weeks. I love it's fit and feel in the hand. It works beautifully for me as a lefty. I will have to re-handle it however, (which I planned for) since the handle isn't attached firmly and can be pulled off easily. If anyone knows of a good handle maker that makes angular, slightly European styled handles like Don Nguyen or Cris Anderson, etc, please let me know!

I'm glad you're enjoying it! :biggrin:

If you'd like to fix the loose handle, all you need to do is heat the tang over an open flame, rub some beeswax onto it (which should melt) then knock it back into the handle. Once the beeswax solidifies the handle should be quite difficult to pull off again.

The wax does a terrible job of holding the tang if it cracks after solidifying, but melting it resets everything.

The tang of your knife was burnt into that handle for fitting.

33 posts since 2012?
You're like the ultimate lurker!

Back