The stone castle thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Verily 'tis a most excellent caftle Ian! A true and mighty fortref that will strike fear into the hearts of thine enemies, and scatter them afunder.

Alas much of my building material is still on the way back from Aus, though I think I have a about 40 stones here, so might be able to knock something up later...

IMG-0433.jpg

Verily 'tis a most excellent caftle Ian! A true and mighty fortref that will strike fear into the hearts of thine enemies, and scatter them afunder.

Alas much of my building material is still on the way back from Aus, though I think I have a about 40 stones here, so might be able to knock something up later...

View attachment 194840

Dit you play Jenga with your fortress?

View attachment 194840
How the heck do you type a long S?

How the heck do you type a long S?

Well I just googled it, copied and pasted, but there probably is a way cos I think it's the same as a Sigma sign, like what they use for complicated sums in maths.

OP is up on that kind of thing I think actually. Ian - is there a quick way to type a sigma? I might start using it more often if so, and confuse the f out of everybody! ;)

the academic's answer is probably to type \Sigma or \sum in LaTeX ;)

the answer you're actually looking for depends on your OS and config.

it sounds like you're talking about ∫ (integral symbol), not Σ (uppercase sigma), though.

by default in macOS, you can do one with alt+b.

Last edited:
There is no situation in which I’d ever use those symbols without a latex compiler*. Randomly inserting them in polite conversation is a way to lose friends quickly and feels gross to me. :p

*ok, that’s not quite true. I write emails to collaborators all the time, but we just write the latex code into the emails and trust that the other person can read it.

it sounds like you're talking about ∫ (integral symbol), not Σ (uppercase sigma), though.

Sorry, yes - integral, not sigma. My knowledge of mathematical equations (and indeed Greek) has always been somewhat iffy!

There is no situation in which I’d ever use those symbols without a latex compiler*. Randomly inserting them in polite conversation is a way to lose friends quickly and feels gross to me. :p

*ok, that’s not quite true. I actually use MS Word with the MathType plugin.

oooo caught slippin'!

• Angry
Reactions: ian
Come on, man. You don't even have half of those in your house anymore. Though you've probably bought twice that many since this pic was taken. :)
Yeah. I was like, "whaaaaaat! This SOB just sold 135161 stones, and still has this many?!?"

Come on, man. You don't even have half of those in your house anymore. Though you've probably bought twice that many since this pic was taken. :)
Shhhhhhhhhhhh, let me have my fun
Yeah. I was like, "whaaaaaat! This SOB just sold 135161 stones, and still has this many?!?"
I've still got like... 30? more cleaning out needs to happen

i just remembered a dream i had last night. i was in some kind of quarry full of natural stones suitable for sharpening/polishing. i filled a wheelbarrow with them and was trying to find a way out of there.

So you dreamt you’re @cotedupy ?

Now this is a cracking idea, I might just have to borrow it for the future.

- 'Ello 'ello 'ello. Might I ask sir what exactly you're doing, with the wheelbarrow of rocks purloined from His Majesty's National Park?

- Well, I'm glad you asked! Funnily enough you see, the idea came to me in someone else's dream... &c. &c.

Back