The thread for wood addicts

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need to start paying attention to his auctions. Nice pieces!

I really need to start paying attention to his auctions. Nice pieces!

Grab some of his spalted hackberry or golden marcian birch burl. Nice stuff, usually doesn't get crazy expensive.

Look what the mail man brought me!! :) 2 slabs of ironwood burl! Its like Christmas!!! These were covered with about 1/8 inch of wax when they arrived. Took the better part aof the afternoon to get them cleaned up and sanded so I could really see what I had. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed!! :thumbsup:

First pic has a marker for size reference.

attachment.php

Ironwood burl 051.JPG

Ironwood burl 004.JPG

How does everyone feel about dyed wood on custom knives? Always? Never? Case by case?
I have a knife on the way I'm scouting for with a copper bolster, what do you think would pair nicely? I'm thinking willow, rosewood or birch burl...?

How does everyone feel about dyed wood on custom knives? Always? Never? Case by case?
I have a knife on the way I'm scouting for with a copper bolster, what do you think would pair nicely? I'm thinking willow, rosewood or birch burl...?

As long as it isn't green... Pairing wit copper? Depends on whether you want more tone-in-tone or contrast. I like a nice blue burl as a contrast with copper.

Stefan

As long as it isn't green... Pairing wit copper? Depends on whether you want more tone-in-tone or contrast. I like a nice blue burl as a contrast with copper.

Stefan

Green can work with copper. Purple also works nicely. I don't like red spacers or really red woods with copper (which has been a popular combo lately).

yeah there is a green handled Itou that I nearly had Dave copperize. Went Abalone instead. Wanted to be a little more subtle... :lol2:

Heres a couple pieces I think you might like! lol :) :wink:

I was going through cutting and sanding some cocobolo and rosewood from my stash the other day, and took some photos! :) This way when a customer requests photos of wood choices I have a record already on hand to show them some choices..

Man this stuff is PRETTY. Maybe one day I will use a couple pieces of this stuff on a knife, till then I will just admire it and enjoy looking at the pieces!

cocobolo burl and rosewood burl knife scales 001.JPG

cocobolo burl and rosewood burl knife scales 036.jpg

cocobolo burl and rosewood burl knife scales 127.jpg

cocobolo burl and rosewood burl knife scales 170.JPG

cocobolo burl and rosewood burl knife scales 197.jpg

cocobolo burl and rosewood burl knife scales 030.jpg

The fourth set of scales is soooo cool. :ubersexy:

Wow Randy, just when I think you have exhausted you wood pics you drop in a bunch more. Great looking sets.

I have to do this....I had a friend stop by earlier today...I need to do some cutting. What we have here is Maple burl and Willow burl...Guess i need to get some stabilizing done
2011-12-12_16-15-53_369.jpg

I have to do this....I had a friend stop by earlier today...I need to do some cutting. What we have here is Maple burl and Willow burl...Guess i need to get some stabilizing done
2011-12-12_16-15-53_369.jpg

If you can spare a piece of the willow when it's stabilized, let me know...

Stefan, showoff...:p I will post a few pics tomorrow of the willow. Super weird stuff...Love it...crazy colors.

Curiosity got the best of me...had to run outside and cut a small burl to see...wow this is some cool stuff!!! Willow Burl
2011-12-14_01-00-23_937.jpg

Wow, nice stuff, the both of you. Bcrano is salivating over that willow. Is that Hawaiian signature Stefan?

Is that Hawaiian signature Stefan?

Yep. That seems harder and harder to get, at least getting the guy to leave it in slabs or cut it in the size I need gets trickier. He can sell them pretty quickly as pen blanks but that is way too small for me. I keep bugging him every other week, giving him an 'Are we there, yet?' to see if he has a new log that is spalted enough. These take about 2 years or more to spalt to that level, so there is very limited supply. And then add the time for drying and stabilizing...

Stefan

Got this cut up also...These pieces are about 1.5 inches thick(Got 5 of them) and am getting a box together to send out for stabilizing. Figured i would share, this is Box Elder
2011-12-13_11-00-53_193.jpg

Thats some nice looking spalted wood Mike! :thumbsup:

Look what Santa, I mean the post man brought me today!! :) Its a 30+ inch X 18" X 2+" slab of IRONWOOD BURL!!! :happy1: Should get us some great looking blocks and scales from this slab!

attachment.php

$(KGrHqJ,!g4E7P9OcI2TBO4(-,KmMQ~~60_3.JPG

I have to have a word with my post man, he never brings me things like that.

Stefan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back