• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS The Ultimate Unicorn Stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheflivengood

Reaction score
Here is a Huge Nakiyama, AKA "Rainbow". Hardness is 4. Size is 207 x 78 wide x 54.5 tall. I would Value this Stone near $3500. I would consider trades as long as they are in demand pieces that could be sold easily. This is a very unfortunate loss for me, if you think its over valued I will state my case. Photos from a grey and stormy day.
_1040042.JPG
_1040043.JPG
_1040044.JPG

Here is the best example I have of the finish thats possible with this stone:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKy88Dph_bZ/

It is out of my stone budget but I am cirious what make it SO valuable ?

It is out of my stone budget but I am cirious what make it SO valuable ?

Aesthetics, size, performance, mine, purity, overall rarity. Think of it a bit like a flashy, rare honyaki by a prestigious/deceased smith. Same basic principles of luxury goods pricing apply. In today's market and with something this unusual, I don't think it's overvalued. Any stone can sharpen just like any knife can cut, so you shouldn't think of it in layman's terms-it's a collectors item and priced as such.

I've had a jealousy-fueled love affair with this stone since first seeing it years ago. Wish I could, but I can't.

GLWS, hate to see you having to sell it mate.

Aesthetics, size, performance, mine, purity, overall rarity. Think of it a bit like a flashy, rare honyaki by a prestigious/deceased smith. Same basic principles of luxury goods pricing apply. In today's market and with something this unusual, I don't think it's overvalued. Any stone can sharpen just like any knife can cut, so you shouldn't think of it in layman's terms-it's a collectors item and priced as such.

I've had a jealousy-fueled love affair with this stone since first seeing it years ago. Wish I could, but I can't.

GLWS, hate to see you having to sell it mate.
what he said haha

That's a gorgeous stone! Reading through your comment on the Insta post you linked, I have a question -- and even if I don't know if this is a proper place to ask, I'm really curious -- you said:
cheflivengood said:
First I focus on an even finish with no scratch marks at lower stones. Next I go all the way up my progression for sharpness. Then I use a 10k super stone and focus pressure on the higane. Then go back down to a muddy stone and focus pressure on jigane, the mirror finish won't get scratched unless I went back to a sub 3k stone or synthetic
Am I correct in understanding that after polishing the harder steel up to a 10k super stone, you can then focus on the softer cladding with a muddy stone (which is not sub-3k or synthetic) without it scratching the fine 10k polish applied to the hard steel? If so, is this a function of your very precise focusing this latter stone on the jigane, or is it more a function of the hagane resisting scratching from the latter stone? Or maybe both?

Man, I'd give my left nut for a stone like this...
GLWS!!!

That's a gorgeous stone! Reading through your comment on the Insta post you linked, I have a question -- and even if I don't know if this is a proper place to ask, I'm really curious -- you said:

Am I correct in understanding that after polishing the harder steel up to a 10k super stone, you can then focus on the softer cladding with a muddy stone (which is not sub-3k or synthetic) without it scratching the fine 10k polish applied to the hard steel? If so, is this a function of your very precise focusing this latter stone on the jigane, or is it more a function of the hagane resisting scratching from the latter stone? Or maybe both?
Ya, harder naturals don't pull a mirror finish down as long as you are focusing pressure in the right places.

Damn, sorry to hear that you are selling unwillingly. GLWS

Well I have seen the following offers:

$50 and bottle of Jack
$50 and bottle of Woodford
Graditude....overpriced
and a LEFT nut.....not sure on the black market value or if that devalues with use, Lemeneid how many miles on that thing?

I can only offer up my ex wife.......she's basically worth nothing but comes with 1/2 of a lot of nice stuff and a nice rack.
GLWS

$50 and bottle of Jack
Graditude....overpriced
and a LEFT nut.....not sure on the black market value or if that devalues with use, Lemeneid how many miles on that thing?

I can only offer up my ex wife.......she's basically worth nothing but comes with 1/2 of a lot of nice stuff and a nice rack.
GLWS
LMAO!!!!

$50 and bottle of Jack
Graditude....overpriced

GLWS
Probably worth more than my kidney if I were to sell it off ;)

Out of my price range currently. The swirls and coloration on the surface make it a true beauty.

Back