The wait is almost over....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateo

Reaction score
IMG_0014.JPG

It's coming!

Sick and wrong! Just open the dang thing. I have wanted to see one of those for a LONG time.

haha... I need it in my hands first!

I just keep hearing Brad Pitt's character in Seven shouting/sobbing/hysterical....."What's in the box, what's in the box" fading to sobs. I have not seen the movie in forever but that (or at least my mental version of it) always stuck with me.

Here are a few photos I snapped this afternoon (haven't had the chance to give it a workout yet!)

I feel the need to say two things:
First -- the level of service and detail Jon and Sara put into JKI is amazing; wonderfully impressed to say the least.

Second -- this knife is amazing... it weighs in at 490g (my CCK is 410g), I can give more detailed measurements if needed! Fantastic gentle curve to the blade gets rid of the "ka-thunk" style chopping with the CCK (before I reground it) to silky smooth action :D :D

Chuka1.jpg

Chuka2.jpg

Wow. Looks awesome :thumbsup:. Sure it´s a joy using it.

Congrats

White steel I am assuming? How about a spine shot?

All right, waited long enough. We need an update! How's the cleaver treating you? This knife has been burning in the back of my head for a while now...

EDIT: If you could, could we see some spine and choil shots and maybe get some measurements?

Sorry!

I’ve been slacking on my reporting duties… photos will have to wait until I get some replacement parts for my tripod… (I love the quick release system, the fact that I can lose a part of it? Not so much!).

Still absolutely loving the knife. The geometry is amazing, it’s ridiculously thin behind the edge, so much it scares me sometimes… which also makes me a little nervous about sharpening it, which I was thinking about waiting to write my full review upon the first sharpen session, although that might take a phone call to Jon for me a work up the confidence to really try it.

It also makes me think it’s time to replace the cutting board with something the is end grain… About the edge though, until it lost its OoTB sharpness it had a certain “twang” occasionally when hitting the board. I attributed this to my cutting style – as it seemed to me that I was either being too aggressive with the edge, or that my push-cuts had some wobble in them once I hit the cutting board. The first few times I did it, I thought I was hurting the blade. I looked down expecting to see a dent or notch out of the steel, which never happened, thankfully!

Scales are still fitting nicely, no gaps or shrinkage, which I was worried about given the other cleaver makers are well known for this in their knives. Again, amazingly stoked about this blade… my new tripod piece should be here by Friday, and more photos to follow!

doh... forgot the measurements (I don't have calipers :(, anything around 1mm or less, I can't really measure):

Overall: 221mmx110mm, handle to tip is 228mm

Height:
@tip - 108mm
1/4 blade from tip - 109.5mm
Mid blade - 110.5mm
3/4 blade from tip - 109mm
@heel - 109

Spine thickness:
@heel - ~2.5mm
midblade - 2
@tip - <1mm

Awesome.

There are a lot of people who have had issues with knives chipping when they hit the board with too much force, particularly with a knife that is thin behind the edge. IMO, this is usually more indicative of poor heat treat than the edge itself. I don't know if you've ever seen the Murray Carter video where he bends the edge of one of his knives with a lighter, but there is an amazing amount of flexibility and resilience in a knife that has been heat treated properly. If the steel is right, you really have to lean on a knife to cause chipping, and I think a lot of the "chipping my blade in a board" reports come from knives that are too brittle due to poor heat treat, or boards that have a lot of stray salt around that cause the chipping - rocks plus thin knife edge = bad juju. So it doesn't surprise me that your knife didn't chip, even if you could feel it twang or flex a little on the board. Konosuke's heat treat is well up to par, at least in my knife, and in all the reports of others that I have seen.

Good to hear, Joe! I haven't had an issue, just the scary noise! I'm pretty good about salt on my board... I'm not sure how I cooked without a bench scraper, but now it's one of my most used tools -- and if I have to, say, cut up capers (always salt-packed, I find the flavor much better) I have an old Dexter Russell that gets to chop bones, corn cobs, etc. that I use.

That being said, I think I'm going to be getting an end-grain board here soon. I have a cousin who is a great wood worker that I'm hitting up! As he makes cabinets, his rock maple is beautiful stuff, and he just so happens to have some extra in the shop :D

Latest posts

Back