The work rotation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
yuke.jpg
kikuichi.jpg
itk__2_.jpg
IMAG0186.jpg
kramer.jpg
petty.jpg
knives.jpg
kramer.jpg

-Yuke ultra-laser #1,
-Kikuichi carbon suji with Matt's buckeye burl,
-ITK bread,
-ITK shirogami gyuto octagon handle,
-Z Kramer parer,
-Kono HD 210 petty,
-Takeda, Kono HD, Zwilling Cermax, Tojiro pro 300, Moritaka supreme yanagi, Forschner scimitar, hammered damascus suji and gyuto, Masamoto wide carbon, CCK, Watanabe, Yuke petty
-Z Kramer 10" Chefs

Not pictured: home set of Mac's.....

Where did you get the Yusuke gyuto? Was it a special order or was it one of the ultra thin ones that was going about a little while ago?

nice kit!
I'd love to know the ins and out of the S Yuskue knife ( from a pros stand-point ).
I've looked at various versions of these for a while ( on blueways if I'm confused please correct me? )

UP THE WORKERS

ROWAN...

That stainless Yasuke is fantastic. The handle is a bit wider than a Kono HD. More standard WA octo where the HD is more "custom" handle. Both knives are finished superbly. Both the spines and choils are beautifully rounded, with my nod going slightly to the HD but I think I feel that way more because of the steel.

My 270 HD is is the thinnest and lightest knife of that size I have ever used or seen in person. It's just a pure lazer beam. And as Chris points out the Yasuke is more so. Mine is 240 so of course the size difference is going to cause a difference ... but that Yasuke is super thin none the less. I almost want a 270 just to see if they can keep that profile, weight ratio and thinness in a larger blade. I hadn't used mine in a pro setting in quite a while til the other day. I forgot how much I really like this knife. It's really a pure performer.

A think there's been a sentiment it won't hold up in a pro setting. It is more flexible and the steel is listed and feels around 58. So will it hold that pure edge as long as some others, no, but it has some give and won't chip or ding easily and it's sooooo freaking thin even with a mere "decent" edge it flies through things with ease because of it's thinness and excellent profile (one of my favorites I have used). I think it's still a great value knife even with the price increase ( I got mine for $145 engraved, a freaking steal). At home this thing will last forever. In a pro setting if you advance technique and understand it's strengths and limits it will do the same. It's NOT an everything knife. It is however and excellent performer (and super light and easy on the hands) when it comes to certain tasks.

Nice collection Chris.

KIND REGARDS

Bryan

The Yuke gyuto is carbon, the Yuke petty is stainless (AEB-L, I think???)....

The Yuke handles have a proper taper, where these newer Kono stabilized are just straight....

Nice lineup Chris.

Did you have your CCK re-handled, or is that stock handle dyed green? am I seeing things?

Great knife collection! Current favorite gyuto?

Thanks guys!

Yes, I had some green stain sitting around, so I thought I'd brighten things up; worked pretty well. I gave that knife away some time ago, though. The CCK is one of my favorite gifts, as I've given a half dozen of them away...

All around workhorses are the KS and the HD. I've been leaning on the Tanaka R2 lots lately, as it takes a sweet edge and has really superior retention. Plus it's comfy and looks nice.

Nice Chris, I didn't know you ended up with my old Watanabe with that funky horn handle. How's that thing holding up

Didn't know it was yours...

Handle had some cracks and small gaps. I filled them and sanded it down smooth...it is a little funky, but I like it. The blade was scratched to heck. I cleaned that up, too.

Cuts like a dream.

Cracks.. Where were they?

Didn't know it was yours...

Handle had some cracks and small gaps. I filled them and sanded it down smooth...it is a little funky, but I like it. The blade was scratched to heck. I cleaned that up, too.

Cuts like a dream.

One long crack down the side of the horn (Actually several inch long on a row) just under the blonde streak...undisclosed by seller, too....

One of my early handle experiments

One long crack down the side of the horn (Actually several inch long on a row) just under the blonde streak...undisclosed by seller, too....

Funny, didn't know it was one of yours. Like I said, I filled the cracks and block sanded it all smooth again. Good as new!

Back